Solving for the Green's Function and Using It to Solve an Differential Equation

In summary: Our particular solution, given by $$y_p(x) = \int_0^x G(x,z)f(z)\,dz$$ involves only convergent integrals. I think you may have been confused because you were looking at the solution $$y(x) = \int_0^\infty G(x,z)f(z)\,dz$$ which diverges for ##x=0##. That's true, but it's not the solution we want. We want ##y_p(x)##, which is a different integral that converges for all ##x##.I wasn't aware you could choose one side to be zero. I know we have had problems where neither side was zero, say one had a sin term and the other a
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the green's function for y'' +4y' +3y = 0 with y(0)=y'(0)=0 and use it to solve y'' +4y' +3' =e^-2x

Homework Equations

##y = \int_a^b G*f(z)dz##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\lambda^2 + 4\lambda + 3 = 0 \to \lambda = -1,-3##

##G(x,z) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
Ae^{-x} + Be^{-3x} & z<x \\
Ce^{-x} + De^{-3x} & x<z
\end{array} \right. ##

y(0) = 0 -> A=-B
y'(0) =0 -> A=B=0

continuity:
##Ce^{-z} +De^{-3z}=0 \to C = -De^{-2z}##
##-Ce^{-z} -3De^{-3z} = 1 \to [De^{-2^z}]e^{-z} - 3De^{-3z} = -2De^{-3z} = 1##
##D=-1/2e^{3z}## & ##C= 1/2e^z##

0 & z<x \\
1/2e^ze^{-x} - 1/2e^{3z}e^{-3x} & x<z
\end{array} \right. ##

The problem comes in when I go to integrate to get the solution.
##y = \int_x^{\infty} [ 1/2e^{-(x+z)} - 1/2 e^{z-3x}]dz##
The second integral is divergent in z.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming z > 0 you have put the wrong side of the Green's function to zero ...

BiGyElLoWhAt said:

Homework Statement

Find the green's function for y'' +4y' +3y = 0 with y(0)=y'(0)=0 and use it to solve y'' +4y' +3' =e^-2x

Homework Equations

##y = \int_a^b G*f(z)dz##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\lambda^2 + 4\lambda + 3 = 0 \to \lambda = -1,-3##

Ae^{-x} + Be^{-3x} & z<x \\
Ce^{-x} + De^{-3x} & x<z
\end{array} \right. ##

y(0) = 0 -> A=-B
y'(0) =0 -> A=B=0

continuity:
##Ce^{-z} +De^{-3z}=0 \to C = -De^{-2z}##
##-Ce^{-z} -3De^{-3z} = 1 \to [De^{-2^z}]e^{-z} - 3De^{-3z} = -2De^{-3z} = 1##
##D=-1/2e^{3z}## & ##C= 1/2e^z##

0 & z<x \\
1/2e^ze^{-x} - 1/2e^{3z}e^{-3x} & x<z
\end{array} \right. ##

The problem comes in when I go to integrate to get the solution.
##y = \int_x^{\infty} [ 1/2e^{-(x+z)} - 1/2 e^{z-3x}]dz##
The second integral is divergent in z.

So, choose the opposite convention: ##G(x,z) = 0## if ##x < z## and ##G(x,z) = A e^{-x} + Be^{-3x}## if ##x > z##. Nevermind the boundary conditions ##y(0) = y'(0) = 0## on the Green's function. You can adjust the homogeneous solution to ensure that ##y(0) = y'(0) = 0## on the actual solution ##y(x)## itself----that is where you want it to occur!

If you work it out you will see that the particular solution(for ##x > 0##) is
$$y_p(x) = \int_0^{\infty} G(x,z) f(z) \, dz = \int_0^x G(x,z) f(z) \, dz$$
which involves only convergent integrations.

Orodruin said:
Assuming z > 0 you have put the wrong side of the Green's function to zero ...

Why? I'm not sure I understand this part, then. So, if I assume z <0, I have put the correct side to zero, yes? Does the rest follow? Because then I end up with the first integral diverging with limits -infty to x. Or is there a flaw here as well? I'm missing something between boundary conditions and the limits of integration, I think.

Ray Vickson said:
So, choose the opposite convention: ##G(x,z) = 0## if ##x < z## and ##G(x,z) = A e^{-x} + Be^{-3x}## if ##x > z##. Nevermind the boundary conditions ##y(0) = y'(0) = 0## on the Green's function. You can adjust the homogeneous solution to ensure that ##y(0) = y'(0) = 0## on the actual solution ##y(x)## itself----that is where you want it to occur!

If you work it out you will see that the particular solution(for ##x > 0##) is
$$y_p(x) = \int_0^{\infty} G(x,z) f(z) \, dz = \int_0^x G(x,z) f(z) \, dz$$
which involves only convergent integrations.
I wasn't aware you could choose one side to be zero. I know we have had problems where neither side was zero, say one had a sin term and the other a cosine term. The zero on one sade emerged from the boundary conditions. Is this still a viable way to solve these problems?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I wasn't aware you could choose one side to be zero. I know we have had problems where neither side was zero, say one had a sin term and the other a cosine term. The zero on one sade emerged from the boundary conditions. Is this still a viable way to solve these problems?

Just plug in the final result for ##y_p(x)## into the DE. Does it work? If so, it is correct; if not, it is incorrect. (However, we cooked up ##G(x,z)## in such a way that it does, in fact, work!)

If you have characteristic roots of opposite signs, so for example, you have ##e^x## and ##e^{-2x}## as homogeneous solutions, then, indeed, you may need to take ##G = A e^x## for ##x < z## and ##G = B e^{-2x}## for ##x > z## (or maybe the other way round); that keeps your integrals convergent. However, if both characteristic roots have the same sign, then you are more-or-less forced to keep ##G## bounded (or at least, not too "explosive" at ##\infty##) by choosing a one-sided version.

PS. I did not understand your comment in a reply in another thread, about having to do more integrals if the Green's function does not satisfy the problem's overall boundary condition. You still have to perform only a single integration of the form ##\int_0^{\infty} G(x,z) f(z) dz## (although it may split up into two pieces ##z < x## and ##z > x## in some cases). The problem boundary conditions are fitted by tuning the constants in the homogeneous solution, and so do not need any more integrations.

Hmm.. I see what you're saying. That doesn't chang the behavior of G? "Bounding" the limits, that is.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Why? I'm not sure I understand this part, then. So, if I assume z <0, I have put the correct side to zero, yes?
Yes. If you assume ##z<0##, the Green's function would be
$$G(x,z) = \begin{cases} 0 & x>z \\ \frac 12 e^{-(x-z)} - \frac 12 e^{-3(x-z)} & x < z \end{cases}.$$ When ##x=0##, you have that ##x>z##, so ##G(0,z)=0## and ##G'(0,z)=0##. The boundary conditions are satisfied.
Does the rest follow? Because then I end up with the first integral diverging with limits -infty to x. Or is there a flaw here as well? I'm missing something between boundary conditions and the limits of integration, I think.
It's easy to get mixed up here. When you're finding ##G##, you typically think of ##z## as fixed and ##x## as the variable. When you do the integral to find ##y##, you want to consider ##x## fixed and ##z## as changing (because it's the variable of integration).

The solution for ##x<0## is given by
$$y(x) = \int_{-\infty}^0 G(x,z)e^{-2z}\,dz.$$

Look at the integral while considering ##x## fixed. From ##z=-\infty## to ##z=x##, you have ##z<x##, so ##G(x,z)## vanishes. You only get contributions when ##z>x##, so the limits of the integral become
$$y(x) = \int_x^0 G(x,z)e^{-2z}\,dz.$$ No infinities anymore, so everything converges.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I wasn't aware you could choose one side to be zero.
Ray's not saying you can arbitrarily set one side to 0. You chose the wrong end of ##G## and consequently found ##A=B=0## and kept ##C## and ##D## around. If you assume ##z>0##, then when ##x=0##, you have ##x<z##. So in your original work, you should have found ##C=D=0## and kept the ##A## and ##B## terms around.

If you assume ##z<0##, however, your work above was correct. So the Green's function you found is good for ##z<0##, but not good for ##z>0##.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Ahhh, Ok, that makes sense. I've caught a few careless mistakes similar to this one before. I just wasn't seeing the inconsistency here. Thanks everyone.

1. What is "Another Green's function" and what is its purpose?

"Another Green's function" is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations. It is named after the mathematician George Green and is used to find the solution to a differential equation with a given set of boundary conditions.

2. How is "Another Green's function" different from the standard Green's function?

The main difference between "Another Green's function" and the standard Green's function is the boundary conditions. "Another Green's function" uses a different set of boundary conditions, which can result in a different solution compared to the standard Green's function.

3. What are the applications of "Another Green's function" in science and engineering?

"Another Green's function" has various applications in science and engineering, including solving problems in electromagnetics, quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer. It is also used in solving boundary value problems in engineering and physical sciences.

4. Can "Another Green's function" be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, "Another Green's function" can be extended to higher dimensions. It is commonly used in three-dimensional problems in science and engineering, such as solving partial differential equations in three dimensions.

5. How does one calculate "Another Green's function" for a specific problem?

The calculation of "Another Green's function" for a specific problem involves solving a set of equations using the given boundary conditions. This can be done analytically or numerically using computational methods. The resulting function can then be used to find the solution to the original differential equation.