Solving for the third one should be straightforward.

In summary: I know pi pi/2 pi/3 pi/4 and pi/6. I can do some fractions like 7pi/12 using ex.: sin(pi/4+pi/3)=sin(7pi/12)=Sin(pi/4)Cos(pi/3)+Sin(pi/3)Cos(pi/4)It sounds like you know how to do basic trigonometry. How did you find out sin(π/3) or cos(π/4)?
Tonyb24
triangle-base.gif

Homework Statement

Completely solve this triangle. No calculators please.
A=?
B=Pi/3
C=?
a=(1+sqrt(3))
b=?
c=2

Homework Equations

Cosine law: b^2=a^2c^2-2ac(cos(B))
Sine law: Sin(A)/a=Sin(B)/b

The Attempt at a Solution

b^2=-6
You can plug in 1/2 in (cos(B)) right away.
Other attemps, don't ask what I did but I ended up finding A=pi/3 and that makes no sense.

Attachments

• triangle-base.gif
    triangle-base.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,083
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tonyb24 said:

Homework Statement

Completely solve this triangle
A=?
B=Pi/3
C=?
a=(1+sqrt(3))
b=?
c=2

Homework Equations

b^2=a^2c^2-2ac(cos(B))
Sin(A)/a=Sin(B)/b

b^2=-6
Other attemps, don't ask what I did but I ended up finding A=pi/3 and that makes no sense.
Welcome to the PF.

Can you show the figure with the triangle? You can Upload a PDF or JPEG file with the button in the lower right...

Is it like this?

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/images/triangletheorems/triangle-base.gif
triangle-base.gif

Attachments

• triangle-base.gif
    triangle-base.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,059
Tonyb24 said:
View attachment 216306

Homework Statement

Completely solve this triangle. No calculators please.
A=?
B=Pi/3
C=?
a=(1+sqrt(3))
b=?
c=2

Homework Equations

Cosine law: b^2=a^2c^2-2ac(cos(B))
Sine law: Sin(A)/a=Sin(B)/b

b^2=-6
Obviously, this isn't right. Please show your work leading up to this value. I suspect that you made a mistake in squaring ##1 + \sqrt 3##
Tonyb24 said:

Mark44 said:
Obviously, this isn't right. Please show your work leading up to this value. I suspect that you made a mistake in squaring ##1 + \sqrt 3##
I squared 1+sqrt(3) as (1+sqrt(3))^2=(1+2sqrt(3)+3) =4+2sqrt(3)
For context, this was on my test. Was wondering if someone could solve this from scratch.
So
plugging everything in

b^2= (4+2sqrt(3))+4-(2(1+sqrt(3))(2)Cos(pi/3)
add 4+4+2sqrt(3)=8+2sqrt(3), and finish the"-2acCos(pi/3)" part
b^2=(8+2sqrt(3))-(2+2sqrt(3)(2)(1/2)
(2)(1/2)=1 so cancel that. simplify..
b^2=6
b=sqrt(6)

Lol ok. I messed up my negatives. This is one of many different forms of answers I got. I also tried factoring the hole thing in many different ways during the test and pluging it into the Sine law, but it was very hard to arcsin these. I do not know how to do arcsin(a+b) It was not in any lecture. And then for angle C starting to stack arcsines was starting to seem a bit ridiculous for some reason.

Now, how to find A without a calculator?
Sin(A)/a=Sin(B)/b

Sin(A)/(1+sqrt(3))=Sin(pi/3)/b
Sin(A)=(1+sqrt(3))((sqrt(3)/2))/sqrt(6))
Sin(A)=(1+sqrt(3))(sqrt(3)/2sqrt(6))
Sin(A)=(1+sqrt(3))(1/2sqrt(2))

So I know 1/sqrt(2)=Sqrt(2)/2 .Anyways, this is what I was thinking on the test and was like dammit...

Sin(A)=((1/2sqrt(2))+(sqrt(3)/2sqrt(2))
Sin(A)= (1+sqrt(3))/2sqrt(2)

So how do I arcsine[(1+sqrt(3))/2sqrt(2)] on paper without a calculator? Maybe try to move things around?
arcsin[1/2sqrt(2)+1/2sqrt(3/2)] errm? What? Can I even simplify this way?

Last edited:
I thought the clue was in the "don't use a calculator" bit. The calculations must be easy, or maybe you don't need calculations.

You said yourself,
So, how did you know that?
Do you know any other angles with easy trig ratios? And how do you know them?

Last edited:
Tonyb24 said:
Now, how to find A without a calculator?
Sin(A)/a=Sin(B)/b
I would use sides b and c, rather than sides a and c.
I think that the "don't use a calculalator" means to give the exact values for the angles, rather than the approximations that you get with a calculator. Unless I've made a mistake, C will be the arcsin of a number that involves ##\sqrt 6##.

Merlin3189 said:
I thought the clue was in the "don't use a calculator" bit. The calculations must be easy, or maybe you don't need calculations.

You said yourself,
So, how did you know that?
Do you know any other angles with easy trig ratios?
I know pi pi/2 pi/3 pi/4 and pi/6. I can do some fractions like 7pi/12 using ex.: sin(pi/4+pi/3)=sin(7pi/12)=Sin(pi/4)Cos(pi/3)+Sin(pi/3)Cos(pi/4)
The don't use a calculator bit means exact answers as Mark said.

So how do you remember sin(π/3) or cos(π/4) say?
Perhaps you just know them off by heart. In that case how did you find out their exact values, that calculators and tables don't give you?

An easy thing to do is drop a vertical line from the apex of angle C to the base, c. Now you will have two right triangles facing each other with a common side and you can use simple trig to get the lengths of the various sides. From those lengths , figure out what the angles must be.

Likes Merlin3189
You have ##b## correct. It's easy to get C using the law of sines with B (have no fear about the ##b=\sqrt 6##). Then once you know two angles...

1. How do I find the missing side of a triangle?

To find the missing side of a triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, the law of sines, or the law of cosines depending on the information given. You can also use trigonometric ratios if you know the angles of the triangle.

2. Can you solve a triangle if you only know the lengths of two sides?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing side if you know the lengths of two sides. You can also use the law of cosines if you know the angle between the two known sides.

3. What information do I need to solve a triangle?

You need at least three pieces of information to solve a triangle, which can be any combination of angles and sides. However, having more information, such as all three sides or all three angles, can make it easier to solve.

4. Can you solve a triangle if you only know the angles?

Yes, you can use the law of sines or the law of cosines to find the missing sides if you know all three angles of the triangle. However, you will need at least one side length to find the exact measurements.

5. How do I know if the triangle is a right triangle?

A right triangle has one angle that measures 90 degrees. You can use the Pythagorean theorem to check if the triangle is right by squaring each side and adding them together. If the sum of the squares of the two shorter sides is equal to the square of the longest side, then the triangle is a right triangle.