Solving for Velocity & Distance of Mailbag: Helicopter Moving at 2.98 m/s

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation v(final)=v(initial)+gt to solve for the speed and distance of a small mailbag released from a descending helicopter. The correct equation depends on the convention of direction used, with downward being positive for easier calculation.
nbroyle1
A small mailbag is released from a helicopter that is descending steadily at 2.98 m/s.

(a) After 5.00 s, what is the speed of the mailbag?
(b) How far is it below the helicopter?
(c) What are your answers to parts (a) and (b) if the helicopter is rising steadily at 2.98 m/s?

I tried using the equation v(final)=v(initial)+gt and ended up with the wrong answer.
v(final) is what I'm solving for and I plugged in 2.98 as the initial velocity, 5s for time and -9.8 for gravity. I must be using the wrong equation could I get some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nbroyle! :smile:

nbroyle1 said:
I tried using the equation v(final)=v(initial)+gt and ended up with the wrong answer.
v(final) is what I'm solving for and I plugged in 2.98 as the initial velocity, 5s for time and -9.8 for gravity. I must be using the wrong equation could I get some help?

Remember which direction you have considered as positive. If it is downwards, the initial velocity is downwards, and so is g. How will get your equations now? If positive upwards, both the initial velocity and g will be negative.

I don't quite understand, what do you mean by how will I get my equations?

Check your convention of direction.
If you put acceleration negative, it means all motions downward negative.
Take downward as positive for easier calculation.

Ok so If I chose the positive means downward convention then the equation would read:
v=(9.8)(5)+2.98 correct?

It is saying the answer is incorrect when I calculate the velocity like this as well.

nevermind calculation error oops thanks for the help

1. How do you calculate velocity?

To calculate velocity, you divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

2. How do you calculate distance?

To calculate distance, you multiply the velocity by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for distance is d = v*t, where d is distance, v is velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for velocity?

The unit of measurement for velocity is meters per second (m/s). This indicates the distance traveled in meters divided by the time it took to travel that distance in seconds.

4. How do you account for acceleration in velocity and distance calculations?

To account for acceleration, you would need to use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. This formula would also apply to calculating distance with the formula d = ut + 1/2at^2.

5. Can you use these formulas to calculate the velocity and distance of any moving object?

Yes, these formulas can be used to calculate the velocity and distance of any moving object as long as you have the necessary information such as the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. However, the formulas may need to be adjusted for more complex situations such as when there is changing acceleration or when dealing with objects moving in multiple dimensions.