Solving Force and Motion: Pulling 25.0 kg Sled 25m

In summary, the sled with a mass of 25.0 kg is pulled with a force of 15.0 N at an angle of 20 degrees above the horizontal. The sled moves along a frictionless horizontal plane, with the horizontal component of the force providing an acceleration of 0.564 m/s^2. Using the formula s = 1/2 * a*t^2, the time it takes for the sled to be pulled 25m is approximately 9.41 seconds.
TaylorHoward21
<< Mentor Note -- New poster has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template when posting schoolwork questions >>

A 25.0 kg sled is pulled (assume frictionless) with a force of 15.0 N at an angle of 20 degrees above the horizontal. (a.) How long will it take to pull the sled 25m? (b.) How fast will the sled be moving after it has been pulled 25.0m?-V0x = V0sinθ
- X = X0 + V0xt
- V = V0 + at
- X = X0 + V0t + 0.5at2
- ∑Fx = max

I was able to solve for the x-acceleration, ax = 0.56m/s2 but I cannot figure out how to use the given forces and acceleration to solve for the time at 25m. Am I to assume V0 = 0?

This is a practice problem for a quiz that I cannot seem to crack. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume that but of course you could solve for an arbitrary v0

So you have a triangle and the 25m would be on the hypotenuse.

From the wording of the problem it is not clear (at least not to me)
if the sled is pulled along an incline that makes 20 degrees angle with the horizontal,

or

the sled is being pulled along the horizontal with a force that makes 20 degrees with the horizontal (and the vertical component of the force is balanced by the weight of the sled).

If I judge by your calculation of acceleration we have the second case (horizontal pull with a force that makes angle with the horizontal). Am I correct?

Ah I think you are right Delta it’s a horizontal plane with the force at 20 degrees. The horizontal component provides the acceleration and the vertical component reduces the frictional force due to gravity. But since it’s frictionless we can ignore the vertical component.

If you allow for an arbitrary v0 then you can solve for t in the ##s=v0+1/2 a*t^2##

Likes Delta2
Delta² said:
From the wording of the problem it is not clear (at least not to me)
if the sled is pulled along an incline that makes 20 degrees angle with the horizontal,

or

the sled is being pulled along the horizontal with a force that makes 20 degrees with the horizontal (and the vertical component of the force is balanced by the weight of the sled).

If I judge by your calculation of acceleration we have the second case (horizontal pull with a force that makes angle with the horizontal). Am I correct?

Yes, you are correct. Here is my diagram:
jedishrfu said:
Ah I think you are right Delta it’s a horizontal plane with the force at 20 degrees. The horizontal component provides the acceleration and the vertical component reduces the frictional force due to gravity. But since it’s frictionless we can ignore the vertical component.

If you allow for an arbitrary v0 then you can solve for t in the ##s=v0+1/2 a*t^2##
So assuming V0 = 0 I find that time t = 9.4 seconds.

I get 9.41 sec if v0 is zero.

##F_x = 15 N * cos(20) = 14.09 N##

##a = F_x / m = 14.09 / 25 = 0.564 m/s^2##

Using ##s = 1/2 * a*t^2##

and solving for ##t## I get: ##t = sqrt(2s/a) = sqrt(2*25 / 0.564) = 9.41 sec ##

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons (N), m is the mass in kilograms (kg), and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is force related to motion?

Force is directly related to motion according to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the acceleration will be, and the heavier the object, the less it will accelerate.

3. What is the unit of force?

The unit of force is Newtons (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton. One Newton is equal to the force needed to accelerate 1 kilogram of mass at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

4. How do I calculate the force needed to pull a 25.0 kg sled 25m?

To calculate the force needed to pull a 25.0 kg sled 25m, you will need to know the acceleration of the sled. Once you have the acceleration, you can use the formula F = m x a to calculate the force. For example, if the acceleration is 2 m/s², then the force needed to pull the sled would be 50 N (25.0 kg x 2 m/s²).

5. Can I use a different unit of mass or distance when calculating force?

Yes, you can use different units of mass and distance when calculating force. However, it is important to make sure that all units are consistent and match up with the formula F = m x a. For example, if you use kilograms for mass, you should use meters for distance and Newtons for force.