The Strong Force on a Neutron Captured by a Nucleus

• Thread starter mcdowellmg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    F=ma
In summary: The negative sign just means that the force is in the opposite direction of the neutron's motion.In summary, a neutron with an initial velocity of 1.5 x 10^7 m/s is captured by a nucleus with a diameter of 0.9 x 10^-14 m. Using the equation v^2=v0^2 + 2a(x-x0), the acceleration is calculated to be -1.25x10^28 m/s^2. This results in a negative force of -20.875 N, indicating that the force is in the opposite direction of the neutron's motion.
mcdowellmg

Homework Statement

A nucleus that captures a stray neutron [in a nuclear reactor, for example] must bring the neutron to a stop within the diameter of the nucleus by means of the strong force.That force, which "glues" the nucleus together, is approximately zero outside the nucleus. Suppose that a stray neutron with an initial speed of 1.5 x 10^7 m/s is just barely captured by a nucleus with a diameter of 0.9 x 10^-14 m. Assuming the strong force on the neutron is constant, find the magnitude of that force. (The neutron's mass is 1.67x10^-27 kg.)

[HINT: When the acceleration is constant, the velocity changes from vi to vf during some time interval. The average velocity over that interval is (vi + vf)/2.]

Homework Equations

f=ma
force = mass*acceleration

also, probably one of these constant acceleration problems, since I am looking for the acceleration of the neutron.
v=v0+at
x-x0=v0t+.5at^2
v^2=v0^2+2a(x-x0)
x-x0=.5(v0+v)t
x-x0=vt-.5at^2

In those equations, v = final velocity, v0 = initial velocity, a = acceleration, t = time, and x-x0 = position on x axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have the time it took the neutron to stop, and I am looking for the acceleration in order to determine the force.

Therefore, I used v^2=v0^2 + 2a(x-x0), which is 0=(1.5 x 10^7)^2 + 2a(0.9 x 10^-14). Solving for a, I got -1.25x10^28, and then I multiplied that by the mass 1.67x10^-27, and got -20.875.

For one, I cannot tell if I did this correctly, and two, I do not know if that should be a negative force. I do not think it is, because the neutron is not traveling left along the x axis. But then again, the neutron is traveling right on the x-axis and thus the force should be going left to bring it to a stop. I only have one shot at turning in this assignment, so I thought I would ask if someone could check over my work.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did it correctly. The value is negative because it is in the opposite direction as the velocity, which you took to be positive. No need to think about left/right on the x axis.

1. What is F=ma?

F=ma is a mathematical equation known as Newton's Second Law of Motion. It states that the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

2. How is F=ma used in science?

F=ma is used in science to calculate the force needed to accelerate an object, or to determine the acceleration of an object when the force and mass are known.

3. Can F=ma be used for any type of motion?

Yes, F=ma can be used for any type of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or rotational. It is a fundamental equation in physics and applies to all types of motion.

4. Is F=ma always true?

F=ma is a simplified version of Newton's Second Law of Motion and is only true for certain conditions. It assumes that the object is moving in a straight line with a constant acceleration and that the mass of the object remains constant.

5. What are some real-world applications of F=ma?

F=ma is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the thrust needed for a rocket to launch into space, determining the force needed for a car to accelerate, and understanding the impact of a collision between two objects.