Solving Harmonic Oscillator Equation w/ Initial Conditions

In summary, Homework Statement caused a mass to be placed on a spring and connected to the ceiling. The spring was connected to the floor in t=0 and the wire was cut. A solution was attempted, but due to the 2 law of Newton, the equation was not solved. Next, the point equilibrium was found and y was defined. Next, the differential equation for y was rewritten in terms of x and the acceleration was found.
quas

Homework Statement

a mass is placed on a loose spring and connected to the ceiling. the spring is connected to the floor in t=0 the wire is cut
a. find the equation of the motion
b. solve the equation under the initial conditions due to the question
שאלה לפורום.JPG

Homework Equations

## \sum F=ma
##
## x(t)=Asin(\omega t + \phi ) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

a. due to the 2 law of Newton: ## \sum F=ma_x
##
## mg-kx=ma ##
##
mg-kx=m\ddot{x}
\\
\ddot{x}=g-\frac{k}{m}x ##

b. first I'll find the point equilibrium
##
c-kx=ma
\\
c-kx=m\cdot 0
\\
x_0=\frac{c}{k}

##

then I'll define ## y=x-x_0 ##

How do I go from here?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
quas said:
##\ddot{x}=g-\frac{k}{m}x ##
OK

##x_0=\frac{c}{k}##
What does c stand for?

then I'll define ## y=x-x_0 ##

How do I go from here?
Rewrite the differential equation in terms of y instead of x.

Likes quas
As TSny hints, you tripped finding x0. Think again what condition will be true at equilibrium and define x0 again. There won't be an unknown c.

Likes quas
TSny said:
OK

What does c stand for?Rewrite the differential equation in terms of y instead of x.
sorry I meant ## x_0 = \frac{mg}{k}##
ok and then ## \ddot{y}=g-\frac{k}{m}y ## ?

Last edited:
##
\ddot{y}=g-\frac{k}{m}y## can't be right. Compare with ##
\ddot{x}=g-\frac{k}{m}x##

BvU said:
##
I might have a barrier but I do not understand how to build a differential equation for y,,,,
I understand that ## \dot{x}=\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dt}=\dot{y} \\ a=\ddot{x}=\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=\ddot{y} ##

BvU said:
##
? I must be thick this morning, but if positive y is down that looks ok to me.

Cutter Ketch said:
? I must be thick this morning, but if positive y is down that looks ok to me.

Oh, good grief. It took me a minute!

quas said:
I might have a barrier but I do not understand how to build a differential equation for y,,,,
I understand that ## \dot{x}=\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dt}=\dot{y} \\ a=\ddot{x}=\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=\ddot{y} ##

Much later after it stops oscillating and y is y0 what is the acceleration? g?

quas said:
Simple: the second derivatives on the left are equal alright. But you need to substitute your expression for y in terms of x. Not just y = x, but: ...:rolleyes:

Related to Solving Harmonic Oscillator Equation w/ Initial Conditions

1. What is a harmonic oscillator equation?

The harmonic oscillator equation is a second-order differential equation that describes the motion of a particle under the influence of a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position. It is a fundamental equation in classical mechanics and has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What are initial conditions in the context of solving the harmonic oscillator equation?

The initial conditions refer to the values of the displacement and velocity of the particle at a specific starting time. These values are necessary for solving the harmonic oscillator equation as they determine the behavior of the particle over time.

3. How do you solve the harmonic oscillator equation with initial conditions?

The harmonic oscillator equation can be solved using several methods, including analytical and numerical techniques. The most common approach is to use the method of separation of variables, followed by solving for the constants of integration using the initial conditions.

4. Can the harmonic oscillator equation be solved for any initial conditions?

Yes, the harmonic oscillator equation can be solved for any set of initial conditions. However, the solution may vary depending on the specific values of the initial conditions. For example, the amplitude, frequency, and period of the oscillations may change with different initial conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the harmonic oscillator equation?

The harmonic oscillator equation has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. Some examples include the motion of a pendulum, the oscillations of a spring-mass system, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the behavior of electrical circuits. It is also used to model the motion of molecules in a crystal lattice and the behavior of the stock market.