Solving Homework: Find Final State, Mass, Work & P-v Diagram

In summary, the problem involves a tank with a volume of 1 m3 filled with saturated liquid water at a pressure of 0.2 MPa. Heat is transferred until the pressure in the tank drops to 0.1 MPa. The final state of the water is a mixture of saturated liquid and saturated vapor. The mass of the vapor in the tank can be calculated using the volume and specific volume of the water. The work done is zero since the volume is constant. The process on a P-v diagram would show a change from a saturated liquid state to a mixture of saturated liquid and vapor.
JasonHathaway

Homework Statement

A tank has a saturated liquid at 0.2 MPa. An amount of heat is transferred until the pressure in the tank became 0.1 MPa. If the volume of the tank 1 m3. Determine:

1- The final state of the water

2- The mass of the vapor in the tank

3- The work

4- The process on P-v diagram

Homework Equations

V=C (Volume is constatnt)
m (mass) = Volume (V) / Specific volume (v)

The Attempt at a Solution

v1=vf |P=0.2 MPa = 0.8857 m3/kg

v1= v2=0.8857 m3/kg

At P1=0.1 MPa, v2=0.8857 m3/kg: vf < v2 < vg

The water is mixture of saturated liquid and saturated vapor --> The final state of the water

m=V/v = (1/0.8857) = 1.13 kg --> The mass of the vapor in the tankWork is zero since the volume is constant --> The work

P-v diagram: http://i.imgur.com/Kz0cVVP.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be some missing information, like the total amount of water in the tank. Please write out the exact statement of the problem.

Chet

That's the exact statement of the problem. I guess we have to assume that the tank is full of water, which means that the volume of water is 1 m3.

You said the tank contained a "saturated liquid". What is a saturated liquid?

Assuming that the tank is full, what is the specific volume of saturated liquid water at a saturation pressure of 0.2 MPa? What is the specific volume of saturated liquid water at a saturation pressure of 0.1 MPa?

Chet

1. How do I find the final state of a system in a homework problem?

The final state of a system can be found by using the given initial state and applying the appropriate equations and conditions. This may include using the laws of thermodynamics, conservation of energy, and other relevant principles to solve for the final state.

2. What is the mass that needs to be considered in a homework problem?

The mass that needs to be considered in a homework problem depends on the specific system being analyzed. It could refer to the mass of a gas or liquid in a container, the mass of an object being lifted, or the total mass of a system. It is important to carefully identify and consider all relevant masses in order to accurately solve the problem.

3. How do I calculate work in a homework problem?

The work in a homework problem can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. It is important to pay attention to the units of force and distance in order to obtain the correct units for work.

4. What is a P-v diagram and how is it used in solving homework problems?

A P-v diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume in a system. It is used in solving homework problems by providing a visual representation of the changes in pressure and volume that occur during a process. This can help in understanding and applying the appropriate equations to solve for the final state.

5. How can I check if my solution to a homework problem is correct?

One way to check if your solution to a homework problem is correct is by using the laws of thermodynamics and other relevant principles to analyze the results. This can help in identifying any errors or inconsistencies in the solution. Additionally, checking the units and ensuring they are consistent with the given problem can also help in verifying the correctness of the solution.