What is the State of Water in a Rigid Container at 120oC?

In summary: ChetIn summary, a rigid container of volume 0.5 m3 contains 1.0 kg of water at 120oC, with a specific volume of 0.00106 m3/kg for the saturated liquid and 0.8908 m3/kg for the saturated vapor. The state of the water is a mixture of saturated liquid and saturated vapor. This can be determined by considering the fact that the volume occupied by the liquid water is much less than the volume of the container, and thus the majority of the volume is occupied by the saturated vapor. The mass of the vapor in the container can be calculated using the specific volume of the vapor, and the amount of water in the liquid state can be determined
Monsterboy

Homework Statement

A rigid container of volume 0.5 m3 contains 1.0 kg of water at 120oC (vf= 0.00106 m3/kg ,vg=0.8908 m3/kg )
v-specific volume (vf is v of saturated liquid and vg is v of saturated vapour)
The state of water is
(a) compressed liquid
(b) saturated liquid
(c) a mixture of saturated liquid and saturated vapor.
(d) super-heated vapor

Homework Equations

v = vf + x(vg- vf)
x- dryness fraction

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to know whether the water can exist in vapor state in the container at 120oC , i need to find the pressure? because pressure decides the boiling point.

If i consider dryness fraction of zero then the volume occupied will be 0.00106 m3 right ? given that the volume of the container is 0.5 m3 certainly the water is not compressed so option (a) is ruled out.

In order to rule out option (b) and (d) , i need to know the pressure right ? i don't know how to proceed.

The answer given to me is (c) but i want to know how to rule out (b) and (d).

Physics news on Phys.org
0.00106 m3 is how much mass?

Monsterboy said:

Homework Statement

A rigid container of volume 0.5 m3 contains 1.0 kg of water at 120oC (vf= 0.00106 m3/kg ,vg=0.8908 m3/kg )
v-specific volume (vf is v of saturated liquid and vg is v of saturated vapour)
The state of water is
(a) compressed liquid
(b) saturated liquid
(c) a mixture of saturated liquid and saturated vapor.
(d) super-heated vapor

Homework Equations

v = vf + x(vg- vf)
x- dryness fraction

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to know whether the water can exist in vapor state in the container at 120oC , i need to find the pressure? because pressure decides the boiling point.

If i consider dryness fraction of zero then the volume occupied will be 0.00106 m3 right ? given that the volume of the container is 0.5 m3 certainly the water is not compressed so option (a) is ruled out.

In order to rule out option (b) and (d) , i need to know the pressure right ? i don't know how to proceed.

The answer given to me is (c) but i want to know how to rule out (b) and (d).

The volume of liquid water is negligible with respect to the volume of the container. You are given the specific volume of the vapour at 120 °C. How much is the mass of the vapour in the container? Is it less or greater than the total mass of water?

Bystander said:
0.00106 m3 is how much mass?
According to the values given, the total amount of water in the container is 1kg ,if i consider dryness fraction as zero , i get specific volume as 0.00106 m3/kg ,so one kg of saturated liquid water has a volume of 0.00106 m3 right ?

At 120oC i don't think it is possible for only liquid water to exist in saturated form in such a large volume of the system because the rest of it will be vacuum then right ? can i rule out option(b) this way ?

Last edited:
ehild said:
How much is the mass of the vapour in the container? Is it less or greater than the total mass of water?
The dryness fraction is not given and i don't know how to find it. The total mass of the water (either liquid or vapour or both) in the system is given as 1kg.

Is 0.00106 m3 more or less than 1 kg?

Bystander said:
Is 0.00106 m3 more or less than 1 kg?
I am not able to get what you are asking , i said 1kg of saturated liquid water occupies a volume of 0.00106 m3 (assuming dryness fraction as zero)

"A rigid container of volume 0.5 m3 contains 1.0 kg of water at 120oC (vf= 0.00106 m3/kg ,vg=0.8908 m3/kg )
v-specific volume (vf is v of saturated liquid and vg is v of saturated vapour)"

Forget the dryness factor.
vf = 0.00106 m3/kg is the specific volume of the water. So 1 kg water would occupy 0.00106 m3, much less than the volume of the container.
So the volume of 0.5 m3 is mostly filled in by the saturated vapour. Knowing the specific volume of the vapour, vg=0.8908 m3/kg, what is the mass of 0.5 m3 of it?
Then how much water is in liquid state?

Last edited:
Why don't you just solve for x?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Why don't you just solve for x?

Chet
The OP said x was the dryness factor. I read that the dryness factor is something characterizing the steam, the amount of water droplets in it.

ehild said:
The OP said x was the dryness factor. I read that the dryness factor is something characterizing the steam, the amount of water droplets in it.
x is the mass fraction of the water that is in the vapor phase, and v is the mass-average specific volume of the liquid and vapor.

Is
Chestermiller said:
x is the mass fraction of the water that is in the vapor phase, and v is the mass-average specific volume of the liquid and vapor.
There is no liquid water phase on the bottom of the container? The whole water is in the form of wet steam?

ehild said:
Is

There is no liquid water phase on the bottom of the container? The whole water is in the form of wet steam?

If there's gravity, then there is liquid water in the bottom of the container and water vapor in the head space (at equilibrium). If there is no gravity (or if all the liquid water hasn't coalesced yet), then there can be liquid water drops in the vapor phase. But the vapor is gas, and the liquid is liquid. For that equation to apply, it doesn't matter where the liquid water and the water vapor are situated in the container.

Chet

Likes Monsterboy
ehild said:
Forget the dryness factor.
vf = 0.00106 m3/kg is the specific volume of the water. So 1 kg water would occupy 0.00106 m3, much less than the volume of the container.
So the volume of 0.5 m3 is mostly filled in by the saturated vapour. Knowing the specific volume of the vapour, vg=0.8908 m3/kg, what is the mass of 0.5 m3 of it?
Then how much water is in liquid state?

I don't think the rest of the volume is filled by saturated vapour ,because the total mass in the system itself is 1 kg only , if 1 kg of saturated liquid water is sitting at the bottom occupying a volume of 0.00106 m3 ,there is nothing else left to occupy the remaining volume in the container!

Monsterboy said:
I don't think the rest of the volume is filled by saturated vapour ,because the total mass in the system itself is 1 kg only , if 1 kg of saturated liquid water is sitting at the bottom occupying a volume of 0.00106 m3 ,there is nothing else left to occupy the remaining volume in the container!
This is not correct. Just solve for x with your equation and tell us what you get. This will tell you the precise mass of water in the vapor phase and the precise mass of water in the liquid phase.

Likes Monsterboy
Chestermiller said:
This is not correct.
Just solve for x with your equation and tell us what you get. This will tell you the precise mass of water in the vapor phase and the precise mass of water in the liquid phase.
I got x=0.5607 ,so the answer is (c) ,is that all ?

Monsterboy said:
I got x=0.5607 ,so the answer is (c) ,is that all ?
You don't get off that easily now. Now that you have this result, tell us the mass of liquid, the mass of vapor, the volume of vapor, and the volume of liquid in the 0.5 m3 container.

Likes Monsterboy
Chestermiller said:
You don't get off that easily now. Now that you have this result, tell us the mass of liquid, the mass of vapor, the volume of vapor, and the volume of liquid in the 0.5 m3 container.

Mass of vapour =0.56 kg
mass of liquid =0.44 kg
Volume of vapour = 0.0005936 m3
volume of liquid = 0.391952 m3

the volume numbers don't sound right but that's what i got.

Monsterboy said:
Mass of vapour =0.56 kg
mass of liquid =0.44 kg
Volume of vapour = 0.0005936 m3
volume of liquid = 0.391952 m3

the volume numbers don't sound right but that's what i got.
The volume numbers are not right. Show us how you got these numbers. They have to add up to 0.5 m3.

Chestermiller said:
The volume numbers are not right. Show us how you got these numbers. They have to add up to 0.5 m3.
I just multiplied the mass of the liquid and the specific volume vf to get the volume of the liquid ,i did similarly for the volume of the vapour with vg.

Monsterboy said:
I just multiplied the mass of the liquid and the specific volume vf to get the volume of the liquid ,i did similarly for the volume of the vapour.
It looks like you multiplied the mass of the liquid by the specific volume of the vapor and the mass of vapor by the specific volume of the liquid.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
It looks like you multiplied the mass of the liquid by the specific volume of the vapor and the mass of vapor by the specific volume of the liquid.

Chet
Oops !
Volume of vapour = 0.4988 m3
volume of liquid =0.0004664 m3

Thanks for the help !

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the state of water in the system?

The state of water in the system refers to the physical form that water takes within a particular system. This can include liquid, solid, or gas.

2. How does water change states in the system?

Water changes states in the system through a process called phase transition. This can occur when the temperature or pressure of the system changes, causing water to change from a liquid to a solid (freezing) or from a liquid to a gas (evaporation).

3. What factors affect the state of water in the system?

The state of water in the system can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. For example, the addition of salt to water can lower its freezing point, causing it to remain in a liquid state at lower temperatures.

4. Why is the state of water in the system important to study?

The state of water in the system is important to study because it plays a crucial role in many natural processes and human activities. Understanding how water changes states and the factors that influence it can help us better manage our water resources and predict and mitigate the effects of natural disasters such as floods and droughts.

5. How can we measure and monitor the state of water in the system?

There are various methods and technologies used to measure and monitor the state of water in the system. This can include taking temperature and pressure readings, using remote sensing techniques, and conducting experiments in laboratory settings. Additionally, there are also computer models and simulations that can help predict and track changes in the state of water in a system.