Solving Hookah Mystery: How Does Air Come Out When Sucking the Hose?

• Thread starter weiszed
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the mechanics of a hookah and how it works. There is a discussion about the direction of air flow and the function of the water in the hookah. The general consensus is that the water serves as a filter for the smoke and the suction action causes the water to bubble. There is also mention of the proper use of a hookah and its possible location in the forum.
weiszed
Alright, this is kind of odd but it's really bothering me so I have to know. My roommate continually smokes hookah and I can't figure out for the life of me why when he sucks on the hose, air comes OUT and bubbles into the water.

(1) Conservation of mass? Where's the extra air coming from?
(2) How is the extra air's direction being reversed?

To me, sucking on the hose would act just like a straw and water would go up into the mouth but it doesn't. Oh, and blowing into the hose causes the piece submerged in water to act as a suction device. Anyone familiar with how this works?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you put enough water, you will end up sucking the water.

I don't know how hookah's work, but I'm sure it's just like some sort of 'bong'.

I always thought those worked by just sucking in air (actual air passing from the room you're in) through the bowl.

The air helps burn the stuff being smoked and that's the smoke that you see mixed with the air already sucked in.

The water is there to serve as a reservoir to filter the smoke, and the sucking action is what is causing the water to bubble. The more water you put in there, the easier it will be to suck in water. The water will go up the tube since you have less open space in the bong itself and the water will be higher up.

(I'm not thread if this post goes here either, but I may be wrong.)

Last edited:
BryanP said:
(I'm not thread if this post goes here either, but I may be wrong.)

? :confused:
The general layout of a hookah is that the intake (bong) is below the water level, and the output (suction pipe) is above. The rest should be sealed. That way, the smoke gets filtered through the water, and then has no place to go except up the pipe.
(Not that I've ever encountered such devices other than theoretically... :uhh:)

Danger said:
? :confused:
The general layout of a hookah is that the intake (bong) is below the water level, and the output (suction pipe) is above. The rest should be sealed. That way, the smoke gets filtered through the water, and then has no place to go except up the pipe.
(Not that I've ever encountered such devices other than theoretically... :uhh:)

I meant, I'm not sure if this thread belonged in this forum.

BryanP said:
I meant, I'm not sure if this thread belonged in this forum.
Yeah... yeah... I read the first post that you replaced with this one.. 'Fess up, bro... you're sucking one back right now, aren't you? (And I hate to alarm you, but you're really supposed to take the goldfish out of the bowl before indulging.)

Danger said:
Yeah... yeah... I read the first post that you replaced with this one.. 'Fess up, bro... you're sucking one back right now, aren't you? (And I hate to alarm you, but you're really supposed to take the goldfish out of the bowl before indulging.)

lol...no :smile:

:biggrin:

Love your avatar, by the bye. Is that a family crest?

1. How does a hookah work?

A hookah works by using a bowl filled with tobacco, which is heated by charcoal. The smoke from the heated tobacco passes through a water-filled base and then travels through a hose, where it is inhaled by the user.

2. How does air come out when sucking the hose?

Air comes out when sucking the hose because of a phenomenon called Bernoulli's principle. When the user inhales, it creates a decrease in pressure inside the hookah, causing the air in the base to be pulled through the hose and into the user's lungs.

3. Why does the smoke travel through the water before reaching the hose?

The smoke travels through the water to cool and filter the smoke, making it smoother and less harsh for the user to inhale. The water also helps to remove some of the harmful substances from the smoke.

4. How does the tobacco heat up without burning?

The tobacco is heated by the charcoal, which is placed on top of the bowl. The heat from the charcoal slowly heats the tobacco, releasing the flavorful smoke without burning it.

5. Can a hookah be harmful to your health?

While smoking from a hookah does involve inhaling smoke, studies have shown that it is not as harmful as cigarettes. However, it is important to note that hookah smoke still contains harmful chemicals and can contribute to health issues such as lung disease and heart disease if used regularly.