Solving Impulse Graph Questions: Velocity Calculation & Solution Check

In summary: I need help understanding the problem and finding the final velocity.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the impulse-momentum theorem and finding the final velocity of a player after 1.20 seconds of impact. The participants also mention using the graph of force vs. time and calculating the initial and final momentum to solve the problem. The final solution is found to be 1 m/s.
Nitrate

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

fnet(delta t) = m (delta v)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need some help on question b ASAP (i'm not sure what the question means when it says find the velocity AT THE END of the 1.20 sec impact)
and i would like for someone to check if I've answered question A correctly

Attachments

• here.png
    here.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 661
Physics news on Phys.org
A looks right.And for part B, the problem seems set up where that graph of F vs. t is the forces acting on the player for 1.2s. It gives you an initial velocity, and asks what those forces (so the impulse that you already calculated) make her final velocity.

Nitrate said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need some help on question b ASAP (i'm not sure what the question means when it says find the velocity AT THE END of the 1.20 sec impact)
and i would like for someone to check if I've answered question A correctly
attachment.php?attachmentid=48101&d=1339036908.png

What does the Impulse - Momentum Theorem say ?

SammyS said:
attachment.php?attachmentid=48101&d=1339036908.png

What does the Impulse - Momentum Theorem say ?

not sure

The impulse is defined as the integral of a force with respect to time. Wiki "impulse" if you need more help

Nitrate said:
not sure
Momentum Theorem is something like:

An object's change in momentum is equal to the net impulse on the object.

Look it up to be sure!

i believe I've found the integral in part A but i don't know what part b means by "find the velocity at 1.20 seconds"

i've got the following information compiled for part b)
delta t = 1.20 seconds
Fnet = ?
m = 60 kg
vi = 7.0 m/s
vf = ?

my problem is that i don't know what fnet is.

I=Δp

so you know your initial momentum. Now find the final momentum, using the above fact. :biggrin:

Nitrate said:
i've got the following information compiled for part b)

my problem is that i don't know what fnet is.

What's the name for fnet(delta t)?

Villyer said:
What's the name for fnet(delta t)?

impulse. however, i don't know if i did part A right and i don't know if they want me to use all the information in question B... and i do not understand what they mean by AFTER 1.20 seconds

Nitrate said:
... and i do not understand what they mean by AFTER 1.20 seconds

Look at the graph again .

You have an initial momentum - think about how that impulse ( change in momentum) will change the player's speed. (you're looking for pf)

Nitrate said:
impulse. however, i don't know if i did part A right and i don't know if they want me to use all the information in question B... and i do not understand what they mean by AFTER 1.20 seconds

Your part A was right.

And it just means that at t = 0 the velocity is 7, what is the velocity at t = 1.2?

i think i got it
-360 n*s = 60(vf-7)
-6=vf-7
vf=1 m/s
?

correct

Related to Solving Impulse Graph Questions: Velocity Calculation & Solution Check

1. What is an impulse graph?

An impulse graph is a graph that represents the change in momentum of an object over a certain period of time. It is typically shown as a line graph with momentum on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

2. How is an impulse graph different from a regular graph?

An impulse graph differs from a regular graph in that it specifically shows changes in momentum rather than just changes in position or velocity. It also often has a shorter time scale and a steeper slope to represent the sudden change in momentum.

3. What does the slope of an impulse graph represent?

The slope of an impulse graph represents the average force acting on an object over a certain period of time. The steeper the slope, the greater the force applied.

4. How is the area under the curve of an impulse graph related to impulse?

The area under the curve of an impulse graph represents the impulse applied to an object. This is because impulse is calculated by multiplying force and time, and the area under the curve is equal to the force multiplied by the time interval.

5. What can we learn from an impulse graph?

An impulse graph can provide information about the forces acting on an object and how they change over time. It can also help us understand the amount of impulse applied to an object and how it affects its momentum. Additionally, we can use an impulse graph to analyze collisions and other interactions between objects.