Solving Induced EMF Problem with Jordan's Help

In summary, the problem involves a coil with 160 turns and an area of 13.7 (cm^2) being rotated in Earth's magnetic field for a time interval of 4.60×10−2(s). The magnitude of Earth's magnetic field at the lab location is 6.50×10−5 (T). The question is how to calculate the induced EMF, with one method resulting in 3.10*10^-4 V and another resulting in 4.86*10^-4 V. After discussing the concept of flux and the difference between instantaneous and average induced EMF, it is determined that the correct answer is 3.1E-4 V.
Jordanosaur
Hi guys -

Here's the problem I'm stuck on:

In a physics laboratory experiment, a coil with 160 turns enclosing an area of
13.7 (cm^2) is rotated during the time interval 4.60×10−2(s) from a position in which its plane is perpendicular to Earth's magnetic field to one in which its plane is parallel to the field. The magnitude of Earth's magnetic field at the lab location is 6.50×10−5 (T).

I am not able to figure out how they came up with that figure of induced EMF as

3.10*10^-4

If you use NwBAsin(wt), you come out with 4.86*10^-4 V. Am I missing something in my calculations? Unless I am misunderstanding, this is a rotational motion question requiring the calculation of angular speed for the change in flux.

(PI/2) / (4.60*10^-2) = w (angular velocity)

sin(wt) = 1, therefore change in flux = NwBA

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jordan

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer 3.1E-4 V is correct.

Don't think of it in terms of equations. I hate this "Formula physics" that I'm seeing everywhere!

The flux goes from a maximum (when perpendicular) to a minimum (zero when parallel).

The change in flux is then simply whatever the maximum is (because the final flux is zero).

Flux is the amount of field cutting a unit area. Don't forget to convert from cm^2 to m^2.

Induced emf is given by the rate of change of flux.
Average induced emf is given by the change in flux per change in time.

You know the change in the flux (simply the max flux), and the change in time for this.

Then, since there are 160 coils, the total emf is 160 times the emf for one coil.

Hi Jordan,

It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations. The induced EMF (electromotive force) can be calculated using the equation E = NABωsin(ωt), where N is the number of turns, A is the area, B is the magnetic field strength, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

In this problem, we know that N = 160, A = 13.7 cm^2 = 0.00137 m^2, B = 6.50×10−5 T, and t = 4.60×10−2 s. We also know that the change in flux (ΔΦ) is equal to NABωsin(ωt).

Substituting the known values, we get:

ΔΦ = 160 * (0.00137 m^2) * (6.50×10−5 T) * ω * 1

Since the coil is rotated from a position perpendicular to Earth's magnetic field to one parallel to the field, the change in flux will be equal to the maximum flux, which occurs when the coil is parallel to the field. This means that sin(ωt) = 1.

Solving for ω, we get:

ω = ΔΦ / (NAB) = (3.10×10−4 V) / (160 * 0.00137 m^2 * 6.50×10−5 T) = 0.357 rad/s

So, the angular velocity of the coil is 0.357 rad/s. This is the value that you were missing in your calculations.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to Solving Induced EMF Problem with Jordan's Help

What is induced EMF and why is it a problem?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) is the creation of an electric current in a conductor due to a changing magnetic field. It can be a problem because it can cause unwanted currents, interference, and damage to electronic devices.

How does Jordan's help solve the induced EMF problem?

Jordan's help refers to the use of Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux. By manipulating the magnetic field or conductor, Jordan can help reduce or eliminate the induced EMF.

What are some common methods for solving induced EMF problems?

Some common methods include using shielding materials, changing the orientation of the conductor or magnetic field, and using filters or dampers to reduce the magnitude of the induced EMF.

Can induced EMF be completely eliminated?

No, induced EMF cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural phenomenon. However, it can be reduced to a negligible level by using effective mitigation techniques.

Why is it important to solve induced EMF problems?

Solving induced EMF problems is important because it can prevent damage to electronic devices, reduce interference, and ensure the proper functioning of electrical systems. It is also crucial in industries such as power generation and transmission, where induced EMF can cause safety hazards and power quality issues.