What EMF is induced in the loop at t=0?

In summary: A complete schematic would be very helpful.In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a current of 10A is switched off at t=0 in a long cable, powering a device with a current return wire that has a 5 mm separation. The conversation then poses three questions: 1) What Emf is induced in a wire loop at t=0 if it is in the same plane as the wires in the cable? 2) What direction would the induced current flow in the loop? 3) What Emf would be induced if the cable were rotated 90 degrees but otherwise not moved? However, it is mentioned that there may not be enough information given to accurately answer these questions. Possible solutions include using Ampere's
says

Homework Statement

A current of 10A is switched off at time t = 0 in a long cable (picture in attachments). It powers a device, with the current return wire having 5 mm separation. A wire loop of dimension 5 by 5 cm is located at a distance 3 cm from the cable.

1) What Emf is induced in the loop at t = 0 if it is in the same plane as the wires in the cable?

2) What direction would the induced current flow in the loop?

3) What Emf would be induced if the cable were rotated 90 degrees but otherwise not moved?

Homework Equations

emf = - N ΔΦB/Δt
B = μ0 I / 2πd
ΦB = B*Area

The Attempt at a Solution

B[/B] = (4*π*10-7)*(10A) / (2*π*(0.03))
B = 6.67 * 10-5 T

ΦB = 6.67 * 10-5 * (0.052)
ΦB = 1.67 * 10-7 Wb

This is where I'm a bit confused. The question asks for the emf at t=0. I assumed that because the current is 10 A, that at t=1 second, the current will be 10A.

emf = (-1) (1.67 * 10-7) / (1)
emf = -1.67 * 10-7 V

Attachments

• emf.jpg
    emf.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They tell you that the power is turned off at t=0, so you know that whatever flux was there, is going to start collapsing. The long conductor and its return wire will act like a 1 Turn inductor.

I think it might be better to use Ampere's Law: ∫B dl to solve this problem.

Won't the cable that is further away from the loop cancel out some of the magnetic field because the current is going in the opposite direction?

Is there enough information in the question?

B = μ0 I / 2πs

I've changed the d to an s from my original equation.

B ds = ∫ (μ0 I / 2πs) ds

Then I could just compute 2 integrals with different boundary conditions.

says said:
Won't the cable that is further away from the loop cancel out some of the magnetic field because the current is going in the opposite direction?
Yes. When computing the initial flux through the loop at time t=0-, you subtract the fields generated by the two currents.
scottdave said:
They tell you that the power is turned off at t=0, so you know that whatever flux was there, is going to start collapsing. The long conductor and its return wire will act like a 1 Turn inductor.
But the inductance and parasitic capacitance of that long wire loop will determine the amplitude and frequency of the flyback ringout waveform. They do not seem to have supplied that, unless the OP is leaving some information out of his post.
Dadface said:
Is there enough information in the question?
I don't think so either. We need the physical dimensions of the long wire loop and some way to approximate its L and parasitic capacitance in order to calculate what the loop current does after the switch is opened at t=0, IMO.

Likes scottdave
I agree that we do not have enough information. For instance, we know that it powers a device, so it could still draw a load for a moment, after the circuit is deenergized.

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force, which is a type of force that is created by the presence of electric and magnetic fields. It is a fundamental force that is responsible for many physical phenomena, including the movement of charged particles.

2. What is induction?

Induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field can create an electric current in a conductor. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many technologies, such as generators and transformers.

3. How is EMF induced in a loop?

EMF is induced in a loop when there is a changing magnetic field passing through the loop. This can occur by moving the loop through a stationary magnetic field or by changing the strength of the magnetic field itself.

4. What does t=0 mean in this context?

In the context of EMF induction in a loop, t=0 refers to the moment when the loop is first exposed to the changing magnetic field. This is the starting point for calculating the induced EMF in the loop.

5. How is the magnitude of induced EMF calculated?

The magnitude of induced EMF is calculated using Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. This can be expressed as: EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the loop and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.