Solving Integration by Parts: x^3e^x^2

In summary, to solve the given integral, we can use integration by parts by setting $x^2$ as $t$ and then differentiating and integrating $t$ and $e^t$, respectively. This results in the solution $I = \frac{1}{2}e^{x^2}(x^2-1) + C$.
paulmdrdo1
any idea how to solve this?

\begin{align*}\displaystyle \int x^3e^{x^{2}}\,dx\end{align*}

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: integration by parts

paulmdrdo said:
any idea how to solve this?

\begin{align*}\displaystyle \int x^3e^{x^{2}}\,dx\end{align*}

put x^2 = t

so 2 x dx = dt

so x^3 e^(x^2) dx = t e^t dt / 2

now you can differentiate t and integrate e^t thus by parts.

Re: integration by parts

Hello, paulmdrdo!

[tex]I \;=\; \int x^3e^{x^2}\,dx [/tex]

We have: .[tex]\int x^2\cdot xe^{x^2}dx [/tex]

By parts: .[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}u &=& x^2 && dv &=& xe^{x^2}dx \\ du &=& 2x\,dx && v &=& \tfrac{1}{2}e^{x^2} \end{Bmatrix}[/tex]

Then: .[tex]I \;=\;\tfrac{1}{2}x^2e^{x^2} - \int xe^{x^2}dx [/tex]

. . . . . [tex]I \;=\;\tfrac{1}{2}x^2e^{x^2} - \tfrac{1}{2}e^{x^2} + C[/tex]

. . . . . [tex]I \;=\;\tfrac{1}{2}e^{x^2}(x^2-1) + C[/tex]

Related to Solving Integration by Parts: x^3e^x^2

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and involves breaking down a complex integral into simpler parts that can be solved more easily.

How do you solve integration by parts?

To solve integration by parts, you need to follow the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions in the integral. First, you must choose which function will be u and which will be dv. Then, you can use the product rule to find du and v, and plug them into the formula to solve for the integral.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This formula is derived from the product rule of differentiation, and it allows you to break down a complex integral into simpler parts that can be solved more easily.

How do you use integration by parts to solve x^3e^x^2?

To solve x^3e^x^2 using integration by parts, you must first choose which function will be u and which will be dv. Let u = x^3 and dv = e^x^2. Then, use the product rule to find du and v, and plug them into the formula: ∫x^3e^x^2 dx = x^3e^x^2 - ∫e^x^2 * 3x^2 dx. You can then solve the integral on the right side using substitution or other integration techniques.

What are some tips for solving integration by parts?

Some tips for solving integration by parts include choosing u and dv carefully, using the product rule to find du and v, and simplifying the integral as much as possible before attempting to solve it. It is also important to pay attention to the signs and constants when using the formula. Practice and familiarity with the product rule and integration techniques can also help improve your skills in solving integration by parts.