Solving Iterative Formulas: Xn+1 Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over the equation Xn+1 = Cuberoot ( 17.5-2xn) and the purpose of the n+1 term. The conversation suggests that substituting L for xn and xn+1 and solving the equation can help clarify the confusion. It also mentions a potential calculation error and provides two possible interpretations of the equation. Ultimately, the solution of lim x_n=2.34 is agreed upon.
DeanBH

Homework Statement

First of all this is revision not homework =)

question is Xn+1 = Cuberoot ( 17.5-2xn)

answer lies between 2 and 3. i know the answer is 2.34 but what i don't get is why it is
xn+1 = equation, because when you put xn=2.34 into the equation you get 2.34 out.
shouldnt get 3.34 out if its xn+1. what's the purpose of the n+1!

Physics news on Phys.org
xn and xn+1 both go (in this convergent case) to a limit call it L. Now substitute L for xn and xn+1 and solve the equation.

dirk_mec1 said:
xn and xn+1 both go (in this convergent case) to a limit call it L. Now substitute L for xn and xn+1 and solve the equation.

i don't think you understand what I'm confused with,

i know the answer is 2.34 so i put it into check

xN+1 = cuberoot(17.5-2xn)

3.34=cuberoot(17.5-2*2.34)
3.34=2.34

do you understand what i don't understand.

You've made an error in your calcution it is correct.

If you mean

[tex]x_{n+1}=(17.5+2x_n)^{1/3}[/tex]

then the answer is [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}x_n=2.34[/tex], and this solution can be found as dirk_mec1 described.

But if you mean

[tex]x_n+1=(17.5+2x_n)^{1/3}[/tex]

then [tex]x_n=1.44[/tex] for all [tex]n[/tex].

What is an iterative formula?

An iterative formula is a mathematical equation that uses a sequence of repeated calculations to find a solution. It involves using the result from one calculation as the input for the next calculation, until a desired level of accuracy is achieved.

Why is it important to understand iterative formulas?

Iterative formulas are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering to solve complex problems. Understanding how they work can help scientists and researchers develop more efficient and accurate solutions to real-world problems.

What is the difference between an iterative formula and a recursive formula?

Both iterative and recursive formulas involve using previous values to calculate the next value. However, iterative formulas use a fixed equation and a specific starting value, while recursive formulas use a function that calls itself with a different input each time.

How do you solve an iterative formula?

To solve an iterative formula, you first need to determine the starting value (x0) and the formula (xn+1) that will be used to calculate the next value. Then, you can plug in the starting value and use a calculator or computer program to perform the calculations until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

What are some common applications of iterative formulas?

Iterative formulas are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, finance, and computer science. They can be used to solve optimization problems, estimate complex systems, and improve algorithms, among other applications.