Solving IVP: \[ty'=\sqrt{1-y^2},\quad y(1)=1,\quad t>0

• Thread starter ssb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a specific initial value problem using separation of variables. The person asking for help shares their attempt at a solution, which the expert points out is not unique due to the function not being Lipshchitz in y. The correct solution is provided as y = sin(ln(abs(t))).
ssb

Homework Statement

Please take a look at my work and help me figure out where I went wrong. Thanks!
Use separation of variables to solve the IVP
[tex]\[ty'=\sqrt{1-y^2},\quad y(1)=1,\quad t>0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Use separation of variables to solve the IVP
[tex] \[ty'=\sqrt{1-y^2},\quad y(1)=1,\quad t>0 [/tex]

[tex]dy/dt = \sqrt{1-y^2}/t [/tex]

[tex]1/\sqrt{1-y^2} dy = 1/t dt[/tex]

[tex] \int 1/\sqrt{1-y^2} dy = \int 1/t dt[/tex]

[tex] arcsin(y) = ln (abs (t)) + C [/tex]

[tex] C = 1 [/tex]

therefore the formula should be

[tex]y = sin(ln(abs(t))+1) [/tex]

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you think is the problem.

I don't see a problem except that your value of C is incorrect, because with that choice y(1) is not equal to 1.

arcsin(1) is [itex]\pi/2[/itex], not 1.

I will also point out that this is of the form [itex]y'= \sqrt{1- y^2}/t[/itex] and the function is NOT Lipshchitz in y on any interval containing y= 1. Therefore, the solution is not unique. y= 1 for all t is another obvious solution and, in fact, there are an infinite number of solutions.

Related to Solving IVP: \[ty'=\sqrt{1-y^2},\quad y(1)=1,\quad t>0

What is an initial value problem (IVP)?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies a given equation and also satisfies a set of initial conditions. The solution to an IVP is a function that passes through a specific point and satisfies the given equation.

What does "y(1)=1" mean in the given IVP?

The notation "y(1)=1" means that the initial condition for the function y is that it equals 1 at the point t=1. This is the starting point for solving the IVP.

How do you solve an IVP?

To solve an IVP, you need to use a specific method or technique for solving differential equations. In this case, the given equation is a separable differential equation, so you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves isolating the variables on either side of the equation and then integrating both sides to find the general solution. The initial condition can then be used to find the specific solution for the given IVP.

What is the general solution to the given IVP?

The general solution to the given IVP is y(t)=sin(t+C), where C is a constant of integration. This can be found by separating the variables, integrating both sides, and applying the initial condition to solve for the constant C.

How do you verify the solution to an IVP?

To verify the solution to an IVP, you can substitute the function into the original equation and see if it satisfies the given equation. Additionally, you can also check if the initial condition is satisfied by plugging in the initial point. In this case, substituting y(t)=sin(t+C) into the given equation and using the initial condition y(1)=1 will show that the solution is correct.