Solving Johnny's Swing Height Puzzle: Can You Get 1.4 Meters?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Johnny swinging on a swing and his maximum height. The equations used to solve the problem include potential energy (Pe), kinetic energy (Ke), and total energy. The correct answer for Johnny's maximum height is around 1.4 meters, which can be found by setting the Ke equal to the Pe and solving for height.
Speedking96

Homework Statement

Johnny is swinging (on a swing) at a velocity of 4m/s when he is 56 cm above the ground. What is his maximum height?

Johnny is 45 Kg.

Homework Equations

Pe = mgh
Ke= (1/2)(m* v^2)
Total energy= Pe + Ke

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting the Ke equal to the Pe, but I get 0.81 Meters. However, I know that the correct answer is around 1.4 Meters.

I would like to know how to get 1.4 Meters.

Physics news on Phys.org
At 45cm he has some PE and some KE.
At the max height all of that is converted into PE.

I get 1.37m if I use g = 9.81

I suggest you show your working.

Okay. So, what you are saying is:

Pe: (9.81)(45)(0.56) + Ke: (1/2)(45)(4^2)

Then you plug all of that in for Pe and solve for height.

Thanks a bunch.

Correct.

Based on the given information, we can use the conservation of energy principle to solve this puzzle.

First, we can calculate Johnny's potential energy (Pe) at the highest point of his swing by using the equation Pe = mgh, where m is Johnny's mass (45 kg), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height above the ground. Since Johnny's maximum height is unknown, we can use h as our variable.

Pe = mgh
Pe = (45 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(h)
Pe = 441h

Next, we can calculate Johnny's kinetic energy (Ke) at the highest point of his swing by using the equation Ke = (1/2)(m*v^2), where m is Johnny's mass (45 kg) and v is his velocity (4 m/s).

Ke = (1/2)(m*v^2)
Ke = (1/2)(45 kg)(4 m/s)^2
Ke = 360 J

Since the total energy of the system is conserved, we can set the potential energy equal to the kinetic energy and solve for h.

Pe = Ke
441h = 360
h = 360/441
h = 0.816 m

Therefore, Johnny's maximum height above the ground is 0.816 meters. This is slightly lower than the given answer of 1.4 meters.

There are a few possible reasons for this discrepancy. One possibility is that the given velocity of 4 m/s is not the actual maximum velocity of Johnny's swing. Another possibility is that there may be external factors, such as air resistance, that were not accounted for in the calculations.

In order to get a more accurate result, we would need to have more precise measurements and take into account any external factors that may affect Johnny's swing. Overall, the conservation of energy principle is a useful tool for solving this type of puzzle, but it is important to consider all relevant factors in order to get an accurate result.

1. How do I solve Johnny's Swing Height Puzzle?

To solve Johnny's Swing Height Puzzle and get a swing height of 1.4 meters, you will need to use the equation: height = (length of pendulum)^2 / (4 * length of rope). Plug in the given values for the length of the pendulum and the rope to find the required height.

2. What are the units of measurement for the length of the pendulum and rope?

The length of the pendulum and rope should be in meters to get the swing height in meters. Make sure to use the same units for both values.

3. Can I use any length for the pendulum and rope?

Yes, as long as you use the same units of measurement and plug in the values correctly into the equation, you can use any length for the pendulum and rope to solve Johnny's Swing Height Puzzle.

4. What if I get a swing height that is not exactly 1.4 meters?

The swing height may not be exactly 1.4 meters due to rounding or if the given values were not precise. However, as long as you followed the equation correctly, your answer should be close to 1.4 meters.

5. Is there a visual representation of this puzzle?

Yes, you can find a visual representation of Johnny's Swing Height Puzzle online or by drawing it yourself. This can help you better understand the concept and how the given values relate to the final swing height.