Solving limits containing trig expressions

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem but was unable to due to a lack of understanding of the notation and lack of familiarity with methods for solving problems. He was given a few hints by the teacher and was able to solve the problem using substitution and limits he had learned in class. Now he is struggling to decide what to do next.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{tan(2x)}{x - \frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given a couple of hints: use substitution, and that there isn't any need for the tangent double angle formula.

I would have never thought to use substitution if I tried to solve this all day, and I had been trying to manipulate the tangent double angle formula for like an hour before I was told I didn't need it.

How do you know when to use methods like substitution and when not to use the double angle formulas? Especially when there are like 30 of these on an exam, I can't even solve this 1 problem within an hour and I have to solve 30 in 45 minutes.

Anyway, I got (actually I didn't, since I was told to do all of this and could never have though of any of this on my own):

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow (x - h)} \frac{sin(2h + \pi)}{h \cdot cos(2h + \pi)} \\
\lim_{x\rightarrow (x - h)} \frac{-sin(2h)}{-h \cdot cos(2h)} \\
\lim_{x\rightarrow (x - h)} \frac{sin(2h)}{h \cdot cos(2h)}[/tex]

I don't know what I should do now. Should I convert back to tangent? Use double angle formulas? More substitution? Something else? How do you know what exactly to do at this point?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The LaTeX tags are case sensitive - use [ tex ] and [/ tex ] (no spaces), not [TEX] and [/TEX].

Last edited:
I fixed it in my post.

PhizKid said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{tan(2x)}{x - \frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given a couple of hints: use substitution, and that there isn't any need for the tangent double angle formula.

I would have never thought to use substitution if I tried to solve this all day, and I had been trying to manipulate the tangent double angle formula for like an hour before I was told I didn't need it.

How do you know when to use methods like substitution and when not to use the double angle formulas? Especially when there are like 30 of these on an exam, I can't even solve this 1 problem within an hour and I have to solve 30 in 45 minutes.
You do a bunch of problems and learn what works best in various cases. You'll develop your intuition over time.

Also, you need to understand what the notation means. You need to get the basic stuff like that down otherwise you'll just make learning the rest of the material more difficult.

Anyway, I got (actually I didn't, since I was told to do all of this and could never have though of any of this on my own):

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow (x - h)} \frac{sin(2h + \pi)}{h \cdot cos(2h + \pi)} \\
\lim_{x\rightarrow (x - h)} \frac{-sin(2h)}{-h \cdot cos(2h)} \\
\lim_{x\rightarrow (x - h)} \frac{sin(2h)}{h \cdot cos(2h)}[/tex]

I don't know what I should do now. Should I convert back to tangent? Use double angle formulas? More substitution? Something else? How do you know what exactly to do at this point?
The denominator goes to 0 in the original problem, so sometimes it helps to rewrite the limit in terms of a variable going to 0. So what you did was let ##h = x-\pi/2##. Then when you rewrite the problem in terms of h, you get
$$\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{\sin 2h}{h\cos 2h}.$$ At this point, look up some of the special limits you should have learned about in class and see if you can see how they might help you in evaluating this one.

Related to Solving limits containing trig expressions

What is a limit containing a trig expression?

A limit containing a trig expression is a mathematical concept used to determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It involves using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

How do you solve a limit containing a trig expression?

To solve a limit containing a trig expression, you can use techniques such as factoring, substitution, and trigonometric identities. You may also need to use the properties of limits and the squeeze theorem to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

What is the importance of solving limits containing trig expressions?

Solving limits containing trig expressions is important in calculus and other branches of mathematics because it allows us to understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. It also helps us to evaluate integrals and derivatives involving trigonometric functions.

What are some common mistakes when solving limits containing trig expressions?

Some common mistakes when solving limits containing trig expressions include forgetting to use trigonometric identities, making algebraic errors, and not considering the properties of limits. It is also important to check for continuity and use the correct rules for evaluating limits at infinity.

Can limits containing trig expressions have multiple solutions?

Yes, limits containing trig expressions can have multiple solutions. This can happen when the expression is undefined or indeterminate at the given value, or when there are multiple approaches to evaluating the limit. It is important to carefully analyze the expression and use appropriate techniques to determine the correct solution.