Need help showing this difference quotient is a derivative

In summary, we discussed the proof that if a function ##f:(a,b) \rightarrow ℝ## is differentiable at ##x\in (a,b)##, then ##lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x-h)}{2h}## exists and equals ##f'(x)##. We also gave an example of a function where this limit exists, but the function is not differentiable, namely ##f(x)=|x|##. Additionally, we explored a method for showing that this limit exists using the absolute value function.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Suppose ##f:(a,b) \rightarrow ℝ## is differentiable at ##x\in (a,b)##. Prove that ##lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x-h)}{2h}## exists and equals ##f'(x)##. Give an example of a function where this limit exists, but the function is not differentiable."

Homework Equations

Differentiability: Let ##f:D\rightarrow ℝ## with ##x_0\in D'\cap D## (##D'## represents the set of ##D##'s accumulation points). For each ##t\in ℝ## such that ##x_0+t \in D## and ##t\neq 0##, define ##Q(t)=\frac{f(x_0+t)-f(x_0)}{t}##. The function ##f## is said to be differentiable at ##x_0## iff ##Q## has a limit at zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it's not really anything at all, but this is what I came up with for the first part:

##lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x-h)}{2h}=lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f((x-h)+2h)-f(x-h)}{2h}=f'(x-h)##

Physics news on Phys.org
You have still a limit in ##f\,'(x-h)## which makes it a left derivative. Now can you do the same from the other side? Then you could use that differentiable means that both - left and right - have to be the same value.

Let's see...

##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x-h)}{2h}=\frac{1}{2} \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}+\frac{1}{2} \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)-f(x-h)}{h}=\frac{1}{2}f'(x)+\frac{1}{2}f'(x-h)=f'(x)##

Thanks. Now, I just need to figure out the second part of this problem, then. Just give me some time to think...

Eclair_de_XII said:
Thanks. Now, I just need to figure out the second part of this problem, then. Just give me some time to think...
We used: differentiable implies left and right derivatives are equal. There's an easy, very common function which violates this at one point.

Oh, you mean: ##f(x)=|x|##?

Likes fresh_42
Eclair_de_XII said:
Oh, you mean: ##f(x)=|x|##?
You might need to change the slope of one leg to save the ##h## in the nominator.

Can I ask what you mean by "change the slope of one leg"?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Can I ask what you mean by "change the slope of one leg"?
If we simply use ##f(x)=|x|## then ## \lim_{h \to 0}=\dfrac{f(x+h)-f(x-h)}{2h}=\lim_{h\to 0}\dfrac{h-h}{2h}## at ##x=0##. I think in this case, we have to formally show that this limit exists. It's easier to manipulate ##f## in a way, that the nominator is e.g. ##h-\frac{1}{2}h## and we can divide by ##h##.

I think I got something...

Let ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x-h)}{2h}=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{|x+h|-|x-h|}{2h}=L##.

Then ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{|x+h|-|x-h|}{2h}\leq \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} |\frac{(x+h)-(x-h)}{2h}|=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} |\frac{2h}{2h}|=1##.
And ##-1=-\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} |\frac{(x+h)-(x-h)}{2h}| \leq \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{|x+h|-|x-h|}{2h}##.

So ##-1\leq L \leq 1##, so ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x-h)}{2h}=L## exists, but ##f(x)=|x|## has no derivative at ##x=0##.

I don't see why ##L## should exist by your argumentation. You started by the assumption that it exists. That it is in ##[-1,1]## under this assumption, cannot be used to prove the assumption. At ##x=0## we can directly estimate ## | \frac{\Delta f}{h} - 0| < \varepsilon ## for small ##h##. Thus ## \lim_{h \to -0} \Delta f = -1 \neq \lim_{h \to 0}\Delta f = 0 \neq \lim_{h \to +0}\Delta f=1\,.##

I still find it easier to see, if we defined ##f(x)=|x|## for ##x \leq 0## and ##f(x)=5|x|## for ##x>0\,##, and get ##\lim_{h \to 0} \Delta f = 2## because the suspicious ##h## in the denominator doesn't occur; but both ways would be o.k.

there is is a very special, but quite common class of functions that give you the second leg of your answer but do not vex yourself over this

and yes the absolute value is a member of this class

1. What is a difference quotient?

A difference quotient is a mathematical expression that represents the average rate of change between two points on a curve. It is often used to approximate the slope of a curve at a specific point and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

2. How is a difference quotient related to derivatives?

A difference quotient is one way to find the slope of a curve, which is the same as finding the derivative of a function. In other words, the difference quotient is a specific formula for finding the derivative of a function at a given point.

3. Can you provide an example of a difference quotient?

Yes, the difference quotient for the function f(x) = x² at the point x = 3 is:
(f(3+h) - f(3)) / h = ((3+h)² - 3²) / h = (9 + 6h + h² - 9) / h = (6h + h²) / h = 6 + h.
This represents the slope of the tangent line at the point (3,9) on the curve y = x².

4. How do you show that a difference quotient is a derivative?

In order to show that a difference quotient is a derivative, you must evaluate the limit of the difference quotient as h approaches 0. This will give you the exact value of the derivative at the given point. If the limit exists, then the difference quotient is equal to the derivative at that point.

5. Why is it important to understand difference quotients and derivatives?

Difference quotients and derivatives are crucial concepts in calculus and are used in many applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. They allow us to find rates of change, optimize functions, and understand the behavior of complex systems. Understanding these concepts is essential for solving many real-world problems and advancing scientific knowledge.