Solving Moment Equations with Newton's 2nd Law: Help Needed!

In summary, you made a sign error in the equation for one of the blocks. Remember if one accelerates up, the other one accelerates down.
Pipsqueakalchemist
Homework Statement
Question and attempt below
Relevant Equations
Newton's 2nd law
Moment equation
So I set up 3 equation for this problem. 1st was the moment equation about point G, 2nd and 3rd were from applying Newton's 2nd law to each of the blocks. I thought once I set those equations up I could solve for alpha (angular acceleration) and then find acceleration of each block but when i plug in the numbers I get the wrong answers. Did I do something wrong?

Attachments

• Sample 16.4.png
    Sample 16.4.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Sample 16.4. attempt.JPG
    Sample 16.4. attempt.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 177
Physics news on Phys.org
You made a sign error in the equation for one of the blocks. Remember if one accelerates up, the other one accelerates down.

Oh i see thanks. I also had another question. Say I took a different point rather than G, say A, the point of the right rope in contact with the circle. Then the alpha (angular acceleration) would be zero when I set up my moment equation right bc the circle isn’t rotating about point A. Is that correct?

I'm not entirely sure how the problem works out with that choice. My inclination is to think there would be two angular accelerations, the usual one pertaining to the pulley's rotation about its center of mass and one describing the motion of the center of mass of the pulley about point A. The latter one would be zero.

EDIT:

If you choose A as the origin, the angular momentum of the pulley is given by
$$L_A = Rmv_{\rm cm} + I_G\omega = (mR^2)\omega_{\rm cm} + I_{\rm cm}\omega$$ where ##\omega## is the usual angular velocity about the center of mass and ##\omega_{\rm cm}## describes the motion of the center of mass about A. That term vanishes because the pulley doesn't rotate about A, but if we keep it around a moment, differentiating would give
$$\tau_A = \frac{dL_A}{dt} = (mR^2)\alpha_{\rm cm} + I_G\alpha.$$ The fact that the pulley doesn't rotate about A tells us ##\alpha_{\rm cm} = 0## but it doesn't say anything about the usual rotation of the pulley about its axis.

If you calculate the torque on the pulley about A, taking into account the weight and the reaction force from the support, you should end up with the same net torque as before. So in the end, you get the same equation as when you use G as the origin.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
... I thought once I set those equations up I could solve for alpha (angular acceleration) and then find acceleration of each block but when i plug in the numbers I get the wrong answers. Did I do something wrong?
I believe that a simpler approach to this problem could help.
The system of multiple weights and strings and pulleys create a unique counter-clockwise torque or moment about the actual axis of rotation named G in the diagram.

That applied torque has to overcome the rotational inertia of the pulley's mass in order to establish an increasing rotational velocity at a constant rate or angular acceleration, increasing the angular momentum of the pulley, as well as the linear momentum of each of masses A and B.

Since we have the values of the radius of gyration and mass of the pulley, we can calculate its moment of inertia (I).
If we divide the applied moment and I, we can calculate the value of the angular acceleration of the pulley, and therefore, the linear accelerations of A and B.

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_of_gyration

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/p...mics-of-rotational-motion-rotational-inertia/

:cool:

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the more force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more mass an object has, the less it will accelerate.

2. How do you solve moment equations using Newton's 2nd Law?

To solve moment equations using Newton's 2nd Law, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, use Newton's 2nd Law to determine the net force acting on the object. Finally, use the moment equations to find the moment of each force and add them together to find the total moment acting on the object.

3. What is the difference between a moment and a force?

A force is a push or pull acting on an object, while a moment is a twisting force caused by a force acting at a distance from the axis of rotation. In other words, a moment is a special type of force that causes an object to rotate rather than move in a straight line.

4. How do you calculate the moment of a force?

The moment of a force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force. This can be represented by the equation M = Fd, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

5. What are some common applications of solving moment equations with Newton's 2nd Law?

Solving moment equations with Newton's 2nd Law is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the stability and strength of structures, such as bridges and buildings. It is also used in the design of machines and mechanical systems to ensure they can withstand the forces and moments acting on them.