Solving Moment of Inertia help

In summary: You would use the following equation to find the angular acceleration: angular acceleration = torque / moment of inertia
BernieCooke

Homework Statement

So I generally understand how to solve the following problem. My only roadblock is that I am not sure I am solving the moment of Inertia correctly. I know that for a solid cylinder you would use I = 1/2mr^2, but I am not sure how if it has only one mass given of 10 kg, yet the rod has a thicker radius at one point than another, you would solve for I. Any help would be greatly appreciated.A solid cylinder of mass 10 kg is pivoted about a frictionless axis through its center O. A rope wrapped around the outer radius R1 = 1.0 m, exerts a force of F1 = 5.0 N to the right. A second rope wrapped around another section of radius R2 = 0.50 m exerts a force of F2 = 6.0 N downward.
What is the angular acceleration of the disk?
If the disk starts from rest, how many radians does it rotate through in the first 5.0 s?

Homework Equations

torque = force x moment arm
torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration
moment of inertia for a solid cylinder = 1/2 mass x radius squared

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 1/2 (10)(1)^2 for the first section of cylinder which gives 5 for moment of inertia
I = 1/2 (10)(.5)^2 for the section section which gives 1.25 for moment of inertia
combined = 6.25

Physics news on Phys.org
The object is not a simple disk if it has different radii at different locations. Is there other information about the object that you haven't included? Was a diagram included?

I gather the axis is horizontal. Assuming the density of the rod is uniform, you need to know what the lengths are at the two different radii. It is also not possible to tell from your description whether the two torques act together or oppositely.

gneill said:
The object is not a simple disk if it has different radii at different locations. Is there other information about the object that you haven't included? Was a diagram included?

Sorry for the late reply. I was gone for the weekend. There was a diagram included and I have included it in this post. It appears to me that while it is a solid cylinder, the information about how the mass is distributed across two sections of different radii is excluded.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 418
Okay, the image doesn't help with the mass distribution so I suppose you are forced to consider the object as a simple disk. Perhaps the inner part is to be considered a mass-less pulley affixed to the disk.

You should have only a single moment of inertia to deal with, but two torques.

Related to Solving Moment of Inertia help

1. What is moment of inertia and why is it important in science?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is important in science because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other in a rotational system.

2. How do you calculate moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The equation is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. Can moment of inertia be changed?

Yes, moment of inertia can be changed by altering the mass or shape of an object. For example, if the mass of an object is increased, its moment of inertia will also increase. Similarly, changing the shape of an object can also affect its moment of inertia.

4. What are some real-world applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia has many practical applications, including designing structures such as bridges and buildings to withstand rotational forces, calculating the angular momentum of rotating objects, and determining the stability of objects in motion.

5. How can I use moment of inertia to solve problems in science?

Moment of inertia can be used to solve problems in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. By understanding the concept of moment of inertia and how to calculate it, you can analyze and predict the behavior of objects in rotational systems and solve complex problems related to rotational motion.