Solving Navier Stokes & energy equations with different coordinates

In summary, the conversation revolves around conducting a fluid analysis on water flowing through a subsea pipe. The speaker has derived the equation for velocity in the r-direction using cylindrical coordinates, but has used cartesian coordinates for solving the energy equation. They are seeking clarification on whether it is correct to proceed with differentiating the velocity equation and substituting it back into the energy equation. The group discusses the relationships between cylindrical and cartesian coordinates and suggests using the energy equation in cylindrical coordinates for easier calculation.
shevir1
Hi all I am conducting a fluid analysis on water flowing through a subsea pipe.

Having used navier stokes equation, i derived the equation for velocity in the r-direction (using cylindrical coordinates.

But when initially solving the energy equation to determine temperature distribution I have used the cartesian coordinates, x & y

From the picture I have attached am I correct in proceeding to solve the energy equation, if I were to just differentiate my velocity equation result and substitute back into the energy equation?
From my knowledge the Y direction in cartesian corresponds with the R direction in the cyclindrical hence my reasoning for proceeding this way.

Attachments

• IMG_5878.JPG
    IMG_5878.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
shevir1 said:
From my knowledge the Y direction in cartesian corresponds with the R direction in the cyclindrical hence my reasoning for proceeding this way.
These are the actual relationships between cylindrical and cartesian coordinates.
[tex]x = r \cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]y = r \sin \theta[/tex]
[tex]r^2 = x^2 + y^2[/tex]
Why don't you just use the energy equation in cylindrical coordinates? That's the easiest way to proceed.
[tex]\frac{1}{r} \frac{d}{dr} \left( r \frac{dT}{dr} \right) = - \frac{\mu}{k} \left( \frac{dv_z}{dr} \right)^2[/tex]
However, this model is only valid if the temperature is a function of radius only. If it also depends on z, your energy equation becomes a PDE.

yes this is what i assumed.
of course it is better to work in just one coordinate system.

thanks

1. What are the Navier-Stokes and energy equations?

The Navier-Stokes equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of fluids, such as liquids and gases. They take into account factors such as velocity, pressure, and viscosity. The energy equations, on the other hand, describe the transfer and conversion of energy within a fluid system.

2. Why do we need different coordinate systems for solving these equations?

Different coordinate systems, such as Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical, offer different advantages and simplifications when solving the Navier-Stokes and energy equations. For example, a cylindrical coordinate system may be more suitable for analyzing fluid flow through pipes, while a spherical coordinate system may be better for studying atmospheric phenomena.

3. How do you convert the Navier-Stokes and energy equations into different coordinate systems?

The process of converting these equations into different coordinate systems involves applying a mathematical transformation to the variables in the equations. This transformation takes into account the relationship between the different coordinate systems and allows for the equations to be solved in the new coordinate system.

4. What are some challenges in solving these equations with different coordinates?

One of the main challenges in solving the Navier-Stokes and energy equations in different coordinate systems is the complexity of the equations themselves. These equations involve multiple variables and partial derivatives, which can be difficult to manipulate and solve. Additionally, some coordinate systems may not be well-suited for certain types of fluid flow, making the equations more difficult to solve.

5. How are the results of solving these equations in different coordinates compared?

The results of solving the Navier-Stokes and energy equations in different coordinate systems can be compared by analyzing the physical quantities of interest, such as velocity, pressure, and energy. These quantities should be consistent across all coordinate systems, and any discrepancies may indicate errors in the calculations or limitations of the chosen coordinate system.