Solving Nuclear Fission Reactions & Calculating Energy Released

In summary, the nuclear fission reaction of uranium-235 with one neutron produces germanium-81, 5 neutrons and another element, what element is that? what's the atomic number andatmoic mass,?give the equation.
david1362
hi guys, iam kinda stuck on 2 problems. here is what it is :

The nuclear fission reaction of uranium-235 with one neutron produces germanium-81, 5 neutrons and another element, what element is that? what's the atomic number andatmoic mass,?give the equation.

2. how much energy is released in the complete fission of one kg of U-235 oxide? given that energy fission of one atom of uranium is 3.2 x 10^-11 J

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
show work done. what have you tried?

i mentioned i was stuck

the thing u just said in ur reply won't help at all, how would u like me to give u such an answer to ya? you would have been better not replying

The rules of these forums is that you show work done and that you have attempted a solution. If you have not read the rules, then i suggest you do it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

read "homework help"

Use the template, and if Som eone replied to me in that manner i did to you, i would admit that i have done a misstake and would try to come up with an attempt to a solution.

I can give you a hint, count the number of neutrons and protons before and after the reaction and see what yo u get. (for the first problem)

Last edited:
david1362 said:
the thing u just said in ur reply won't help at all, how would u like me to give u such an answer to ya? you would have been better not replying
We respectfully request that students show work and effort in solving the HW problems when asking for assistance, as malawi_glenn appropriately indicated.

http://www.webelements.com/

We know the start U (Z=92, A=235) + 1 n -> Ge(Z=?, A=81) + ? + 5n.

Determine the change in Z and the balance the neutrons. In a nucleus of an isotope, the number of neutrons N = A - Z, where A is the atomic mass and Z is the atomic number.

One has to go to a chart of nuclides for the actual mass of a particular radionuclide.

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/ - click on a location in the chart, the use zoom 1, upper right, in order to see details.

Astronuc said:
We respectfully request that students show work and effort in solving the HW problems when asking for assistance, as malawi_glenn appropriately indicated.

http://www.webelements.com/

We know the start U (Z=92, A=235) + 1 n -> Ge(Z=?, A=81) + ? + 5n.

Determine the change in Z and the balance the neutrons. In a nucleus of an isotope, the number of neutrons N = A - Z, where A is the atomic mass and Z is the atomic number.

One has to go to a chart of nuclides for the actual mass of a particular radionuclide.

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/ - click on a location in the chart, the use zoom 1, upper right, in order to see details.

Thanks alot, i appreciate it, sorry i lose temper, but iam under so much pressure in this class. thanks again, I hope i can help you with your questions soon.

Related to Solving Nuclear Fission Reactions & Calculating Energy Released

1. How does nuclear fission occur?

Nuclear fission occurs when a neutron strikes the nucleus of an atom, causing it to split into two smaller nuclei. This process releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat and radiation.

2. What factors determine the amount of energy released in a nuclear fission reaction?

The amount of energy released in a nuclear fission reaction is determined by the mass of the atoms involved and the speed at which the fission occurs. The more massive the atoms and the faster the fission, the more energy is released.

3. How is the energy released in a nuclear fission reaction calculated?

The energy released in a nuclear fission reaction can be calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E is the energy released, m is the mass difference between the original atom and the resulting smaller nuclei, and c is the speed of light.

4. What are the potential applications of nuclear fission reactions?

Nuclear fission reactions have many potential applications, including producing electricity in nuclear power plants, powering nuclear submarines and spacecraft, and creating nuclear weapons.

5. What are the potential risks and challenges associated with nuclear fission reactions?

The main risks associated with nuclear fission reactions include the possibility of accidents or meltdowns, the safe disposal of nuclear waste, and the potential for nuclear proliferation. Additionally, the high cost and complex technology involved in nuclear fission can pose challenges for implementation and maintenance.