Solving PDEs: Finding Solutions for the Equation u_t + u_x = 0

In summary, the question asks for the equation u(x,t) which when substituted into the equation (1) yields xe^(-x^2). However, as there is no known function f that satisfies this equation, the student is left clueless as to how to solve the equation.
erok81

Homework Statement

I am not even sure if the title is correct - it's day two of the class and I am already lost beyond belief. Anyway...here is the question.

Consider the equation (1) [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

Where u=u(x,t) is the unknown function. If f is any differentiable function of a single variable and we set u(x,t)=f(x-t) then u is a solution of (1). I'm not sure this part is even needed. :confused:

Which solution of (1) is equal to xe^(-x^2) on the x-axis?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I have zero idea of where to start. Well, I could probably guess a solution from my ODE knowledge, but that isn't why I am taking this course. :)

Any tips, pointers, etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
On the x axis, t=0, so you are told [tex] u(x,0) = f(x) = x e^{-x^2} [/tex]. So now you know what f is. Can you find u(x,t) now?

Use the method of characteristics on this equation.

Oh wow...maybe I need to drop this class and retake ODE. I still can't solve it.

Guessing a solution from ODE's I can get...

y"+2xy'+y=0. That would give me two solutions; e^(-x^2) and xe^(-x^2).

But I am pretty sure that isn't close either.

Method of characteristics is for PDEs, specifically hyperbolic first order PDEs.

Search on the web

Is that the only way to solve it? Method of characteristics doesn't start until problem 9, according to my text.

Is he saying that f(x-t) is a solution of your problem?

erok81 said:

Homework Statement

I am not even sure if the title is correct - it's day two of the class and I am already lost beyond belief. Anyway...here is the question.

Consider the equation (1) [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

Where u=u(x,t) is the unknown function. If f is any differentiable function of a single variable and we set u(x,t)=f(x-t) then u is a solution of (1). I'm not sure this part is even needed. :confused:
Yes, that's true and very important. For any differentiable function, f, the derivative of f(x- t) with respect to x, by the chain rule, is the usual derivative of f, evaluated at x-t, times the derivative of x- t with respect to x, which is 1: [itex]f_x(x- t)= f'(x- t)[/itex].

Similarly, the derivative of f(x- t) with respect to t, is the usual derivative of f, evaluated at x- t, times the derivative of x- t with respect to t, which is -1: [itex]f_t(x-t)= -f'(x- t)[/itex].
That is, [itex]u_t+ u_x= -f'(x-t)+ f'(x- t)= 0[/itex].

Because this is a first degree, in both x and t, equation, just as the general solution of a first degree ordinary differential equation depends on a single arbitrary constant, the general solution to this partial differential equation depends on a single arbitrary function.

That is, the general solution to this differential equation is [itex]u(x,y)= f(x- t)[/itex] where f can be any differentiable function of a single variable.

Which solution of (1) is equal to xe^(-x^2) on the x-axis?
On the x-axis, t= 0 so \
[tex]u(x,0)= f(x- 0)= f(x)= xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

That immediately tells you that
[tex]u(x,t)= f(x- t)= (x- t)e^{-(x- t)^2}[/tex].

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I have zero idea of where to start. Well, I could probably guess a solution from my ODE knowledge, but that isn't why I am taking this course. :)

Any tips, pointers, etc?

Ooh, that makes sense now. That you for the help. I'm not the best at showing/proofs of concepts, so it made this harder than it should have been I guess.

On a side note: I am two days into the class and this was my second problem - how bad is it that it took me a while to get? AKA how easy was that problem?

Why did everyone ignore my post? What I said was pretty much spot on.

On the side note: Yes it indicates you need to concentrate more when doing problems, and get some more practice. Notice all the theory specific to Partial Differential Equations was developed for you, and to finish the question off required nothing about PDE's, just basic algebra.

Gib Z said:
Why did everyone ignore my post? What I said was pretty much spot on.

On the side note: Yes it indicates you need to concentrate more when doing problems, and get some more practice. Notice all the theory specific to Partial Differential Equations was developed for you, and to finish the question off required nothing about PDE's, just basic algebra.

Now that I've done a few more problems, I realize I should have been able to solve it from what you posted and also should have been pretty simple.

I didn't ignore it, I was just still too clueless to solve from there. :redface:

I think you'll find PDEs very interesting. Never underestimate the usefulness of first order PDEs, they can be very useful. I have been doing some modelling with them recently and getting some very good results.

Related to Solving PDEs: Finding Solutions for the Equation u_t + u_x = 0

1. What is a PDE general solution?

A PDE general solution is an equation that represents a family of solutions to a partial differential equation. It includes all possible solutions to the equation, rather than a single specific solution.

2. How is a PDE general solution different from a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a PDE that satisfies all of the given boundary conditions, while a general solution includes all possible solutions to the PDE without any specific boundary conditions.

3. Can a PDE general solution be derived from a particular solution?

Yes, a PDE general solution can be derived from a particular solution by adding an arbitrary function that satisfies the boundary conditions. This arbitrary function allows for the inclusion of all possible solutions in the general solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using a PDE general solution?

Yes, there are limitations to using a PDE general solution. It may not be able to accurately represent all solutions to a PDE, as it does not take into account specific boundary conditions or initial conditions. It is also not always possible to find a general solution for every PDE.

5. How is a PDE general solution useful in the study of differential equations?

A PDE general solution is useful in the study of differential equations because it provides a framework for understanding all possible solutions to a PDE. It can also be used as a starting point for finding a particular solution by incorporating specific boundary conditions or initial conditions.