Solving Physics Homework: Spring Length & Work Done

In summary, the conversation discusses a vertical spring and its behavior when supporting different masses. The problem includes two parts, the first involves finding the length of the spring with zero load, while the second involves calculating the work done in stretching the spring from 10.0 cm to 15.0 cm. The solution for part a involves using force analysis and Hooke's law, while the solution for part b requires considering spring potential energy.
gwhite00

Homework Statement

A vertical spring is 10.0 cm long when supporting a 20.0 kg mass, and it is 12.0 cm long when supporting a 32.0 kg mass. Assume the stretch is linear with the load.

a) What is the length of the spring with zero load? (0.06666667)

b) How much work would be done in stretching the spring from 10.0 cm to 15.0 cm? (17.15)

Homework Equations

ΔU = -W = mgyf - mgyi

The Attempt at a Solution

a) After converting cm to m, I substituted in all the given information and found that they potential energy of the system was 18.032. But when I substituted that in with the unknown height, I got .16 m which can't be true. Especially when the given answer is 0.0666667.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

b) I'm not even sure where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
gwhite00 said:
a) After converting cm to m, I substituted in all the given information and found that they potential energy of the system was 18.032. But when I substituted that in with the unknown height, I got .16 m which can't be true. Especially when the given answer is 0.0666667.
You'll solve part a using force analysis and Hooke's law, not energy methods. (Aside from that, your energy equation neglects spring potential energy.)

1. How do I calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant (k) can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring (F) by the displacement of the spring (x). This can be represented by the equation k = F/x.

2. What is the relationship between spring length and work done?

The work done on a spring (W) is directly proportional to the change in length of the spring (x). This can be represented by the equation W = 1/2 kx^2, where k is the spring constant.

3. Can I use the same equation for all types of springs?

Yes, the equation W = 1/2 kx^2 can be used for all types of springs, as long as the force applied is within the linear range of the spring.

4. How do I determine the displacement of a spring?

The displacement of a spring (x) can be determined by measuring the length of the spring when it is at rest and comparing it to the length when a force is applied. The difference between these two lengths is the displacement.

5. What are the units for spring constant and work done?

The units for spring constant (k) are N/m (newtons per meter) and the units for work done (W) are J (joules).