Solving Physics Problems: Max Height, Velocity & Horizontal Dist.

In summary, the rock reaches a maximum height of 31.6 m above the roof after traveling a distance of 48.57 m.
Heat

Homework Statement

A man stands on the roof of a building of height 14.1 m and throws a rock with a velocity of magnitude 31.6 m/s at an angle of 25.0 above the horizontal. You can ignore air resistance.

Calculate the maximum height above the roof reached by the rock.

Calculate the magnitude of the velocity of the rock just before it strikes the ground.
Calculate the horizontal distance from the base of the building to the point where the rock strikes the ground.

Homework Equations

V^2 = V initial ^2 + 2a(x-xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is the part, that I am getting stuck on, the other two parts of the question following it hopefully I will be able to do, as I encountered that type of problem before.

Anyways, my attempt:

Max height = unknown
Angle : 25 degrees
Vy = 0 m/s (at the highest point, Velocity is 0.
Vy initial is 13.35 m/s. ( I got this using 31.6 sin 25)
Height at beginning is 0. (Ignoring the fact that's the building is 14.1m)

0 = 13.35^2 + 2 (-9/8)(y-0)
-178.22 = -19.6y
y = 9.09 m

does this seem right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your initial statement of the question you say the angle is 25 degrees, but you use 75 in your calculation. Your approach works, though.

oops, my messy handwriting when working it out. does that seems right now..

Looks OK to me.

I thought this was going to be simple, but I was wrong:

Calculate the magnitude of the velocity of the rock just before it strikes the ground.

my work:
V^2 = 13.35^2 + 2 ( -9.8) (9.10)
V^2 = -.1375:confused:

Last edited:
Heat said:
I thought this was going to be simple, but I was wrong:

my work:
V^2 = 13.35^2 + 2 ( -9.8) (9.10)

vertical displacement is -14.1m. not 9.10

remember that this is only vertical velocity... you'll need to get the total velocity after getting this part...

You can also use conservation of energy to do this problem.

ok I got Vy = 21.32.

i would think vx remains the same so

it would be

sqrt(21.32^2 + 13.35^2)
= 25.15
??

Heat said:
ok I got Vy = 21.32.

yes, but Vy = -21.32 (makes no difference for the magnitude)

i would think vx remains the same so

it would be

sqrt(21.32^2 + 13.35^2)
= 25.15
??

But vx is not 13.35. that is the initial vy.

you are right, my messy handwriting at it again.

Vx is 28.64.

so the total velocity should be: 35.70
which is right.

I will now try to solve:

Calculate the horizontal distance from the base of the building to the point where the rock strikes the ground.

hopefully this is the same as a question I asked before regarding horizontal distance. :)

Heat said:
you are right, my messy handwriting at it again.

Vx is 28.64.

so the total velocity should be: 35.70
which is right.

I will now try to solve:

hopefully this is the same as a question I asked before regarding horizontal distance. :)

yes. looks right. a faster way to solve the problem is with conservation of energy if you've covered energy...

I guess it will not work, as the previous was free falling with 0 initial velocity.

Here is what I did:

to find time it takes to drop I used the following:

-14.41 = .5(-9.8)t^2
t = 1.696

then I did

xfinal = 1.696/2 (28.64+28.64)
= 48.57

which is wrong :(

Heat said:
I guess it will not work, as the previous was free falling with 0 initial velocity.

Here is what I did:

to find time it takes to drop I used the following:

-14.41 = .5(-9.8)t^2
t = 1.696

then I did

xfinal = 1.696/2 (28.64+28.64)
= 48.57

which is wrong :(

I'm confused. Is this the same problem?

sorry, this is to find the horizontal distance from the base of the building to the point where the rock strikes the ground. In this same problem.

Heat said:
sorry, this is to find the horizontal distance from the base of the building to the point where the rock strikes the ground. In this same problem.

Use d = v1*t + (1/2)(-g)t^2

to get time.

ok I got time of 3.85s

using -14.1 = -31.6t -9.8t^2

now
it should be hopefully the following

xfinal = 3.85/2 (28.64+28.64)
= 110.16

seems awfully large.

Last edited:
Heat said:
ok I got time of 3.85s

using -14.1 = -31.6t -9.8t^2

No. it should be -14.1 = 31.6sin(25)t - 4.9t^2

now
it should be hopefully the following

xfinal = 3.85/2 (28.64+28.64)
= 110.16

I don't understand what you're doing here... once you have the time... the horizontal distance is just 31.6cos(25)*t

ok for t i got 3.54s

now when I plug in the equation provided for horizontal distance, I get 31.6cos(25) *3.54 = 101.38

which is correct.

also

prior to my equation before...what I did was the following

xfinal = time/2 (vox+vx)

which I retried and gave me the same thing, the problem I found out is that I had time wrong. :redface:

thank you for your help.

Last edited:

1. What is the equation for finding the maximum height of an object in a physics problem?

The equation for finding the maximum height of an object is: h = (v0)2sin2(θ) / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of an object at a certain height in a physics problem?

To calculate the velocity of an object at a certain height, you can use the equation: v = √(v02 + 2gh), where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

3. What is the equation for determining the horizontal distance traveled by an object in a physics problem?

The equation for determining the horizontal distance traveled is: d = v0cos(θ)t, where d is the horizontal distance, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and t is the time.

4. How do you use vectors to solve physics problems involving max height, velocity, and horizontal distance?

Vectors can be used to represent the different components of motion, such as velocity and acceleration. By breaking down the motion into its individual components and using vector addition and subtraction, you can solve for the max height, velocity, and horizontal distance in a physics problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems involving max height, velocity, and horizontal distance?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving these types of problems include using the wrong equations, not considering the effects of air resistance or friction, and not taking into account the direction of motion. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.