Solving Physics Questions: Muons, Speakers & Sound Intensity

• Thread starter Pseudo Statistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with two physics questions. The first question involves calculating the time for muons to travel from a balloon to the Earth's surface, taking into account the time dilation effect due to their high speed. The second question involves sound intensity and interference patterns. The person is asking for pointers on which fundamental equations to use and what topics to study.
Pseudo Statistic
Hi.
I'm having a bit of problems with this question:

A group of muons is observed to pass a balloon at a height of 480 meters above the Earth's surface. The muons move at a speed of 0.8c straight down towards the Earth's surface.
a) Calculate the time for the muons to travel from the balloon to the Earth's surface as determined by an observer on the Earth.
b) Calculate the time for the muons to travel from the balloon to the Earth's surface as determined by an observer moving with the muons. Explain your reasoning.

I have no clue how to do them because that "c" is throwing me off-- like, would they be moving with that constant velocity or will gravity be accelerating them further up to c and then they'll be moving with constant velocity, or is this some relativistic thing?

Also, let's say you had two speakers, a distance d apart and both a distance L away from an axis; i.e. something like this:
http://www.brokendream.net/xh4/physpic.JPG
Assume B, B and the speakers all lie on a vertical line and both speakers vibrate in phase and emit sound waves of equal amplitude and wavelength... and assuming d << L.
a) Describe how sound intensity I varies as a function of position x along the line segment OA. Sketch the graph of this function on an axes.

b) Assuming wavelength << d sketch a graph of the sound intensity I as a function of position y along the y axis.

c) Assume that d = 2m and the speed of sound = 360 m/s. Find the lowest speaker frequency which will yield the minimum sound intensity along the line BB'.

I wouldn't want someone to do these questions for me, however, I do want some pointers as to what fundamental equations I should be looking at and what topics to study.

I appreciate any help I get! THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For question (a), if you assume they are moving at a constant velocity (the given 0.8c) you will have to take into account the time dilation effect because the muon is traveling relatively close to the spead of light. The formula for which is;

[tex]T = \frac{T_{0}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}}[/tex]

You might want to take a look at this page;
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/muon.html#c2

(b) is along the same lines. HINT: Your answer to a and b should be different.
--------------------------------------------------------------
For the sound questions, you need to think about interference patterns, conditions for constructive / destructive interference etc.

Regards,
-Hoot

Hello there,

I can understand your confusion with these questions. Let's break them down and see if we can make sense of them.

For the first question about muons, the "c" refers to the speed of light in a vacuum, which is a constant value of 299,792,458 meters per second. This is a very fast speed and is often used in physics calculations involving relativity. In this case, the muons are moving at 0.8 times the speed of light, which is still very fast but not quite as fast as the speed of light. So, we can assume that the muons are moving at a constant velocity and not being accelerated by gravity.

To calculate the time for the muons to travel from the balloon to the Earth's surface, we can use the equation d = vt, where d is the distance traveled, v is the velocity, and t is the time taken. In this case, we know the distance (480 meters) and the velocity (0.8c), so we can rearrange the equation to solve for t. This will give us the time for an observer on Earth.

For an observer moving with the muons, we need to take into account the concept of time dilation, which is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity. Basically, time appears to pass slower for an object moving at a high velocity compared to an object at rest. So, for the observer moving with the muons, the time will appear to pass slower, and therefore the time taken for the muons to travel from the balloon to the Earth's surface will be longer.

Moving on to the second question about sound intensity and speakers, there are a few key equations and concepts to consider. Sound intensity is defined as the power per unit area and is measured in watts per square meter. It is directly proportional to the amplitude squared of the sound wave. So, as the amplitude increases, the sound intensity also increases.

a) For the first part of the question, we can use the equation for sound intensity, I = P/A, where P is the power and A is the area. In this case, the power is constant because the speakers are vibrating in phase and emitting sound waves of equal amplitude. The area, however, will vary as we move along the line segment OA. As the distance from the speakers increases, the area will also increase, resulting in a decrease in sound intensity. So,

1. What are muons and how are they relevant in physics?

Muons are subatomic particles that are similar to electrons but have a higher mass. They are created when cosmic rays from outer space interact with the Earth's atmosphere. They are relevant in physics because they are used to study the properties of matter, such as mass and charge.

2. How do speakers produce sound?

Speakers produce sound by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. This is done by a diaphragm in the speaker that vibrates in response to an electrical signal, creating sound waves that travel through the air to reach our ears.

3. What is sound intensity and how is it measured?

Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of energy that is transmitted through sound waves. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is a logarithmic scale, meaning that a small change in decibel level represents a large change in sound intensity.

4. How can sound intensity be increased or decreased?

Sound intensity can be increased by increasing the energy of the sound waves, such as increasing the volume on a speaker. It can also be decreased by reducing the energy of the sound waves, such as using noise-cancelling headphones to block out external sounds.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding muons, speakers, and sound intensity?

Understanding muons can help scientists study the properties of matter and the effects of high-energy particles. Speakers and sound intensity are important in fields such as audio engineering, acoustics, and music production. They are also important in everyday life, such as in the design of sound systems and noise control in buildings.