Two Speakers & Intensity/Frequency

• Thread starter lc99
  • Start date
In summary: I am wrong. It should be sqrt(20) for speaker A and sqrt(17) for speaker B. Sorry about that.nope, I am wrong. It should be sqrt(20) for speaker A and sqrt(17) for speaker B. Sorry about that.In summary, the conversation discussed the distance between speaker B and the microphone at point P, the frequencies at which the microphone would detect sound waves of maximum and no intensity, and the potential differences in sound if the speakers emitted at different intensities. There was a mistake in question d, as it should have asked for the least sound rather than no sound. Speaker A is actually closer to the microphone than speaker B.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-3-27_15-27-45.png

b) What is the distance from speaker B to the microphone at point P?
c) What are the first 2 frequencies at which the microphone at point P would detect sound waves of maximum intensity? Give answers to 2 significant figures.
d)What are the first 2 frequencies at which the microphone at point P would detect no sound? Give answers to 2 significant figures.
e) Describe in words what would be different if the speakers were emitting sound at different intensities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) sqrt(17)
b)sqrt(20)
c) sqrt(20) - sqrt(17) = 0.349 m --> 0.349m = nlambda --> lambda = .349/1 and 0.349/2
lambda = 0.349 and lambda = 0.174
f1 = 344/0.349 =986 Hz
f2 = 344/0.174= 1977 Hz

d) 0.349 = (n+ 1/2)lambda
lambda = 0.349/1.5 and 0.349/2.5
=0.233 and 0.1396
f1 = 344/0.233 = 1476 Hz
f2=344 / 0.1396 =2464
(destructive)e) the loudness would changeI'm pretty sure I've done something wrong, but I am not sure where. The frequencies are clearly too high.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-27_15-27-45.png
    upload_2018-3-27_15-27-45.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 927
Physics news on Phys.org
c looks right, but it does say 2 sig figs.
For d, are you sure you have chosen the lowest two values of n?
There is a flaw in question d. Because of the different distances there will be some sound. It should ask for least sound.

Likes lc99
haruspex said:
c looks right, but it does say 2 sig figs.
For d, are you sure you have chosen the lowest two values of n?
There is a flaw in question d. Because of the different distances there will be some sound. It should ask for least sound.
Ahh, n=0 and n=1 would work. I thought n=0 would make the whole thing 0 like in part c.

lc99 said:
Ahh, n=0 and n=1 would work. I thought n=0 would make the whole thing 0 like in part c.
Right.

For e, maybe you could say a bit more, but the flaw in question d bothers me. I.e. if d had correctly asked for least sound then in e you could point out that with the right emitted intensities there would be no sound at the microphone.

lc99 said:
a) sqrt(17)
b)sqrt(20)
Is speaker A really closer to the microphone than speaker B?

DrClaude said:
Is speaker A really closer to the microphone than speaker B?
A is closer

lc99 said:
A is closer
Really? I guess I need to get my eyes checked...

Likes TSny
DrClaude said:
Really? I guess I need to get my eyes checked...
nope

1. How do the intensity and frequency of sound waves affect the volume of two speakers?

The intensity of sound waves determines the loudness or volume of the sound produced by a speaker. The higher the intensity, the louder the sound. Similarly, the frequency of sound waves determines the pitch of the sound. Higher frequencies produce higher pitched sounds, while lower frequencies produce lower pitched sounds. When two speakers are playing the same sound at different frequencies, the speaker with the higher frequency will produce a higher pitched sound, but both speakers will have the same volume if their intensity is the same.

2. What happens when two speakers play the same sound at the same frequency and intensity?

When two speakers play the same sound at the same frequency and intensity, the sound waves from both speakers will combine and create a phenomenon known as interference. This can result in either constructive interference, where the sound waves reinforce each other and create a louder sound, or destructive interference, where the sound waves cancel each other out and create a softer sound.

3. Can the volume of two speakers be increased by adjusting the intensity or frequency of the sound waves?

Yes, the volume of two speakers can be increased by adjusting the intensity or frequency of the sound waves. Increasing the intensity will increase the loudness of the sound, while changing the frequency can change the pitch of the sound. However, the overall volume will also depend on the distance between the speakers and the listener, as well as any obstacles that may block the sound waves.

4. How does the distance between two speakers affect the intensity and frequency of the sound waves?

The distance between two speakers can affect the intensity and frequency of sound waves. As the distance between the speakers increases, the intensity of the sound waves decreases due to spreading out of the waves. This can result in a decrease in volume. Similarly, the frequency of the sound waves can also be affected by the distance, as the waves may become distorted or interfere with each other, resulting in a change in pitch.

5. Is it necessary for two speakers playing the same sound to have the same intensity and frequency?

No, it is not necessary for two speakers playing the same sound to have the same intensity and frequency. As long as the speakers are playing the same sound at relatively similar intensities and frequencies, the resulting sound will be similar. However, if the intensity or frequency varies significantly between the two speakers, it can result in a noticeable difference in the volume or pitch of the sound produced.