Solving Projectile Motion: Ball Thrown from Building

In summary, the ball is thrown from the top of a building 35m high with an initial speed of Vi at an angle 30° above the horizontal. The ball strikes the ground at a point 80m from the base of the building. The time of the ball is in the flight and the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity are found.
ezsmith

Homework Statement

This is a review question from the test I did few months back, and I need to review it for my finals.

A ball is thrown from the top of a building 35m high with an initial speed of Vi at an angle 30° above the horizontal. The ball strikes the ground at a point 80m from the base of the building. Find

a) the time of the ball is in the flight
b) the horizontal and vertical component of the initial velocity
c) its initial velocity and
d) the velocity of the ball just before it strikes the ground

Homework Equations

Sy= Viy t + 1/2Ayt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was resolving into x and y direction, so,

Ax= 0 Ay=-9.8m/s
Sx= 80m Sy=-35, Viy= 0

Therefore: Sy= Viy+1/2Ayt^2
-35= 0 + 1/2(-9.8)t^2
Finally: My t = 2.67s

Apparently, I was marked wrong, so my time I found is wrong and therefore I couldn't proceed with b,c and d with the wrong time.

Help would be really appreciated! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem clearly states that the ball is thrown at initial speed Vi at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal.

Why did you take Viy = 0? When is Viy = 0 during the flight of the ball?

SteamKing said:
The problem clearly states that the ball is thrown at initial speed Vi at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal.

Why did you take Viy = 0? When is Viy = 0 during the flight of the ball?

Oh, I think I figured it out

So its, I use Vx = Vicos30°
V = s/t
V = 80 / t cos30°

Then with this equation V = 80 / t Vicos30° I sub into my component y which is
-35 = Vi sin30 t-4.9t^2
-35 = 80 sin30 t/ t cos30° - 4.9t^2
t = 4.07s

Is it right?

I don't know why you are using V = s/t here. The initial velocity Vi is a given.

The path of the ball is analyzed in two parts: the first part is the ball traveling upward until gravity reduces the vertical velocity to zero. The second part starts at this point as the ball free falls from the apex of its trajectory and hits the ground.

A simple sketch would be most helpful in analyzing this type of problem, rather than just throwing a bunch of random formulas at it.

SteamKing said:
I don't know why you are using V = s/t here. The initial velocity Vi is a given.

The path of the ball is analyzed in two parts: the first part is the ball traveling upward until gravity reduces the vertical velocity to zero. The second part starts at this point as the ball free falls from the apex of its trajectory and hits the ground.

A simple sketch would be most helpful in analyzing this type of problem, rather than just throwing a bunch of random formulas at it.

For my vertical component, its -35 = Vi sin30 t -4.9t^2
At this stage, how am I going to solve with Vi being an unknown instead of a value?

ezsmith said:
For my vertical component, its -35 = Vi sin30 t -4.9t^2
At this stage, how am I going to solve with Vi being an unknown instead of a value?

Vertical component of what? The 35 m building is just sitting there.

You'll have to solve for time in terms of Vi, since a numerical value is not disclosed.

SteamKing said:
Vertical component of what? The 35 m building is just sitting there.

You'll have to solve for time in terms of Vi, since a numerical value is not disclosed.

After thinking real hard for almost 2 days.

I know that my horizontal and vertical component has the same time is in flight. So I can use resolve my t initially in the horizontal component of the flight using Sx = Vicos30 t right. So wouldn't be
t = Sx / Vi cos 30

Knowing my Sx is 80 and cos 30 is 0.87
Hence t = 92.38 / Vi
The problem is I can't eliminate my Vi. So like you said.. I treat my time in terms of Vi. Therefore my answer is t = 92.38 / Vi ??

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the path that an object takes when it is thrown or launched into the air and then falls under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a ball in projectile motion?

The trajectory of a ball in projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Air resistance and wind can also play a role in altering the trajectory.

3. How does increasing the angle of launch affect the distance traveled in projectile motion?

Increasing the angle of launch will increase the distance traveled in projectile motion, up to a certain point. This is because a higher launch angle will result in a greater vertical velocity component, allowing the ball to stay in the air for a longer time and cover more horizontal distance.

4. Can a ball have the same range for two different launch angles in projectile motion?

Yes, a ball can have the same range for two different launch angles in projectile motion. This occurs when the launch angles are complementary, meaning their sum is equal to 90 degrees. In this case, the ball will have the same vertical displacement and therefore the same range.

5. How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in many real-life applications, such as sports, engineering, and physics experiments. It is used to calculate the trajectory of objects, such as a football or a rocket, and to predict their motion. It is also used in ballistics to determine the trajectory of projectiles, such as bullets or missiles.