Solving QM Problem: Fermi's Golden Rule & Transitional Probability

In summary, guidance is requested for solving a quantum mechanics problem involving Fermi's Golden Rule. The time-dependent wavefunction for a free particle is given, and the momentum and energy are calculated using p = 2*pi*n*h_bar/L and E = p^2/2m. To find the probability per unit time for the particle to be scattered from right to left, the matrix element between the initial and final states must be calculated. This can be done using the scattering potential and then using Fermi's Golden Rule to get the transition rate.
ashah99
Homework Statement
Consider a free particle of mass m and energy E moving from left to right in onedimension with periodic boundary conditions on length L. This means a planewave (traveling wave) with positive momentum.

Suppose there is perturbation V(x) = w*δ(x-x_0) with x a real number. What is the probability per unit time that the particle is scattered so that it moves from right to left (traveling wave with negative momentum) with energy E after scattering? Compute your answer to lowest nonvanishing order in time-dependent perturbation theory.
Relevant Equations
transition probability per unit of time = (2*pi)/(h_bar)*(|<f|H'|i>|^2)*p(Ef)
Hello all, I would like some guidance on how to approach/solve the following QM problem.

My thinking is that Fermi's Golden Rule would be used to find the transitional probability. I write down that the time-dependent wavefunction for the free particle is [1/sqrt(L)]*exp(i*p*x/h_bar)*exp(-i*E*t/h_bar), where p is the momentum and E is energy. My understanding is that p = 2*pi*n*h_bar/L and E = p^2/2m. But, now when trying to set up to the probability per unit time that the particle is scattered so that it moves from right to left, I am a bit lost. Any ways to solve would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermi's Golden Rule is indeed the appropriate method to solve this question. To set it up, you need to calculate the matrix element between the initial and final states of the particle. The initial state is the momentum eigenstate of the particle, given by [1/sqrt(L)]*exp(i*p*x/h_bar). The final state is the same but with a negative sign in the exponential, which corresponds to a momentum pointing in the opposite direction. The matrix element is given by M = <initial state|V|final state> where V is the scattering potential. This is the probability per unit time that the particle is scattered so that it moves from right to left. Once you have calculated the matrix element, you can plug it into the expression for Fermi's Golden Rule, which gives the transition rate:Rate = (2pi/h_bar)*|M|^2. This is the probability per unit time that the particle is scattered so that it moves from right to left. I hope this helps!

1. What is Fermi's Golden Rule?

Fermi's Golden Rule is a mathematical formula used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a quantum system transitioning from one state to another. It is based on the principles of perturbation theory and is commonly used to study the interactions between particles in a quantum system.

2. How is Fermi's Golden Rule used to solve quantum mechanics problems?

Fermi's Golden Rule is used to calculate the transitional probability between two quantum states. By determining the probability of a transition occurring, scientists can better understand the behavior and properties of a quantum system. This can be applied to a wide range of problems in quantum mechanics, such as studying the behavior of atoms or particles in different energy levels.

3. What is transitional probability?

Transitional probability, also known as transition probability, is the likelihood of a quantum system transitioning from one state to another. It is calculated using Fermi's Golden Rule and is influenced by factors such as the energy of the system, the strength of the interaction between particles, and the time duration of the transition.

4. How does Fermi's Golden Rule relate to other principles in quantum mechanics?

Fermi's Golden Rule is closely related to other principles in quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and the Schrödinger equation. It is also used in conjunction with other mathematical tools, such as matrix mechanics and wave mechanics, to solve complex quantum mechanics problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fermi's Golden Rule?

While Fermi's Golden Rule is a useful tool in solving quantum mechanics problems, it does have its limitations. It is most accurate for weak interactions and short transition times, and may not accurately predict the behavior of systems with strong interactions or long transition times. Additionally, it assumes that the system is in a stationary state, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.