What is the derivation of the Fermi golden rule?

In summary, the Fermi golden rule is derived from equation 9.21 which states that ##N(p)dp = Cp^{2}q^{2}dp##.
James_1978
Dear Forum,

I have a question about the derivation of the Fermi golden rule in Kenneth Krane's Introduction to Nuclear Physics. I understand everything up to equation 9.20. However, it is unclear how he goes directly to equation 9.21. Here is equation 9.20,

## d\lambda = \frac{2\pi}{\hbar}g^{2} |M_{fi}|^{2} \frac{(4\pi)^{2}}{h^{6}c^{2}} p^{2} (Q - \sqrt(p^{2}c^{2} + m_{e}^{2}c^{4}) -m_{e}c^{2})dp##

Which is then followed by equation 9.21,

## N(p)dp = Cp^{2}q^{2}dp ##

I under stand that C has the constants not related to p. My question is how did he go from ##d\lambda## to ##N(p)dp##. This says that ##d\lambda = N(p)dp## which is unclear to me. Can someone explain that part to me.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
9.20 doesn't look right. LHS is a differential. RHS has two terms: the first is not a differential, second is. Can't be.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
mathman said:
RHS has two terms: the first is not a differential
Terms?

There is a dp though

James_1978 said:
dλ=2πℏg2|Mfi|2(4π)2h6c2p2(Q−(p2c2+me2c4)−mec2)dp
I think the expression you have in brackets here should be squared (what you wrote equals ##q## by 9.22, but in 9.20 it is ##q^2##).

I am not sure there is much to understand here,

##d\lambda = N(p) dp##

simply defines ##N(p)## as far as I can tell. The only part of

##N(p) = C p^2 q^2##

that might be non-trivial is that indeed all other factors (in particular ##|M_{fi}|##) are independent of ##p^2##. However the text states this is an assumption at this point. Could you clarify what is unclear?

malawi_glenn said:
Terms?

There is a dp though
RHS is the sum of two terms. The second term has dp. The first term has no differential - it needs one.

I think you are misreading the brackets (one is opened before the ##Q##, and the corresponding closed one is right before the ##dp##...)

Likes malawi_glenn
mathman said:
RHS is the sum of two terms. The second term has dp. The first term has no differential - it needs one.
No RHS has three terms.
Note that the OP does not know LaTeX and has this written sqrt wrong
1679887570755.png

should read
##d\lambda = \dfrac{2\pi}{\hbar} g^2 |M_{fi}|^2 \dfrac{(4\pi)^2}{h^6c^2}p^2 (Q - \sqrt{p^2c^2+m_e^2c^4} -m_ec^2) dp##

Last edited:
malawi_glenn said:
No RHS has three terms.
Note that the OP does not know LaTeX and has this written sqrt wrong
View attachment 324103
should read
##d\lambda = \dfrac{2\pi}{\hbar} g^2 |M_{fi}|^2 \dfrac{(4\pi)^2}{h^6c^2}p^2 (Q - \sqrt{p^2c^2+m_e^2c^4} -m_ec^2) dp##
Original question error - ##g^2## replaced by ##q^2## for 9.21.

• Skeptical
Likes Dr.AbeNikIanEdL

1. What is the Fermi golden rule?

The Fermi golden rule is a mathematical formula used in quantum mechanics to describe the transition rate between two quantum states. It is named after physicist Enrico Fermi.

2. What is the derivation of the Fermi golden rule?

The Fermi golden rule can be derived using perturbation theory, which involves calculating the probability amplitude for a particle to make a transition from one quantum state to another in the presence of a small perturbation. This perturbation can be caused by an external force or interaction.

3. How does the Fermi golden rule relate to quantum mechanics?

The Fermi golden rule is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning between two quantum states. This is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. What are the applications of the Fermi golden rule?

The Fermi golden rule has various applications in physics, including calculating the rate of radioactive decay, predicting the absorption and emission of photons by atoms, and understanding the behavior of electrons in semiconductors.

5. Is the Fermi golden rule always accurate?

The Fermi golden rule is an approximation and is only accurate for weak perturbations. In cases where the perturbation is strong, higher-order terms must be included in the calculation to improve accuracy.