Solving Radioactive Decay Mix-Up & Calculating Half-Life

In summary, the formulas R=R_0e^{-λt} and A=A_0e^{-λt} are used to calculate the decay rate and activity of a radioactive substance, respectively. They are essentially the same thing and are proportional to each other. To calculate the half-life, solve for t when N(t) is equal to half of the initial value, N_0.
FaraDazed
This isn't a direct question and answer problem, it relates to an essay I am doing.

I am a bit confused on the equations given by my tutor for radioactive decay, I suspect there is a mix up of symbols used where two symbols are used for the same think (such as N and R for the normal force).

On the powerpoint relating to it, she stated that the decay rate, R, is as below
[tex]
R=R_0e^{-λt}
[/tex]

However I also have the formula below
[tex]
A=A_0e^{-λt}
[/tex]

Are they the same thing, I understand that the second one is the activity, measured in Bq, but also the first one?

Also if I were to calculate the half-life of something, which formula would I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are the same thing. Radioactivity is a manifestation of decay, any decayed atom emits some particle that is registered as radioactivity. So one is proportional to another, and the coefficient depends on the units used to measure these two quantities.

The activity is defined as the variation in time of the number of nuclei, and is also proportional to the number itself
$$ A=-\frac{\mathrm{d}N}{\mathrm{d}t}=\lambda N $$
Solving this equation you have immediately
$$ N(t)=N_0e^{-\lambda t}=N_0e^{-t/\tau} $$
where ##\tau=1/\lambda## is the mean lifetime (you find it tabulated).
Now clearly then
$$ A(t)=\lambda N(t) $$
and your result is there.

As for the ##R## I think it is more or less the same thing, eventually expressed as different units, but essentially has the same meaning.

Last of all, to compute the half-life, compute ##t## for which you have ##N(t)=N/2##

tia89 said:
Solving this equation you have immediately
$$ N(t)=N_0e^{-\lambda t}

Yeah I have seen that one as well with N, I know N stands for the number of Nuclei though is it the same as well then?

I need to derive it and end up with the one using A, would the below be ok? (i don't think it is)

[tex]
A=\frac{dN}{dt}=-λt \\
∫\frac{1}{N}dN=∫-λdt \\
e^{logN}=e^{-λt} \\
∴A=A_0e^{-λt}
[/tex]

Any help is appreciated.

First solve
$$ \frac{\mathrm{d}N}{\mathrm{d}t}=-\lambda N $$
exactly as you did
$$ \int_{N_0}^{N(t)}\frac{\mathrm{d}N}{N}=-\int_{0}^{t}\lambda \mathrm{d}t $$
$$ \ln\left[ \frac{N(t)}{N_0} \right]=-\lambda t $$
$$ N(t)=N_0 e^{-\lambda t} $$

Then after that you have by definition ##A=\lambda N## (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay#Radioactive_decay_rates) and therefore
$$ A(t)=\lambda N_0 e^{-\lambda t}=A_0 e^{-\lambda t} $$
calling ##A_0=\lambda N_0## (by definition).

tia89 said:
First solve
$$ \frac{\mathrm{d}N}{\mathrm{d}t}=-\lambda N $$
exactly as you did
$$ \int_{N_0}^{N(t)}\frac{\mathrm{d}N}{N}=-\int_{0}^{t}\lambda \mathrm{d}t $$
$$ \ln\left[ \frac{N(t)}{N_0} \right]=-\lambda t $$
$$ N(t)=N_0 e^{-\lambda t} $$

Then after that you have by definition ##A=\lambda N## (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay#Radioactive_decay_rates) and therefore
$$ A(t)=\lambda N_0 e^{-\lambda t}=A_0 e^{-\lambda t} $$
calling ##A_0=\lambda N_0## (by definition).

Many thanks, appreciate it.

1. What is radioactive decay and how does it occur?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atom releases energy in the form of radiation in order to become more stable. This occurs when the nucleus of an atom is unstable and breaks down, releasing particles such as alpha, beta, or gamma radiation.

2. What is half-life and how is it calculated?

Half-life is the time it takes for half of the radioactive atoms in a sample to decay into a more stable form. It is calculated using the formula t1/2 = (ln2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln is the natural logarithm, and λ is the decay constant for the specific radioactive material.

3. How can we use the concept of half-life to determine the age of a sample?

The age of a sample can be determined by measuring the amount of radioactive material remaining and comparing it to the original amount. By knowing the half-life of the material, we can calculate how many half-lives have passed since the sample was formed, and thus determine its age.

4. Can we predict when a specific radioactive atom will decay?

No, we cannot predict when a specific radioactive atom will decay. The process of radioactive decay is random and cannot be influenced by external factors.

5. How is radioactive decay used in practical applications?

Radioactive decay has many practical applications, such as in nuclear power plants, medical imaging, and carbon dating. By understanding the rate of decay of a specific material, we can harness its energy for various purposes.