Time taken for amount of a nuclear material to remain

In summary, the half-life of Carbon-14 is 5730 years and its decay constant is 1.2094x10-4. To find the time at which 35% of an initial sample remains, you can use the equation t = loge0.35 / -1.209x10-4 or solve for the number of half-lifes using the equation 0.35=(1/2)^x. Both methods give an answer of approximately 8683.4 years.
InsaneScientist

Homework Statement

The half life T½ of Carbon-14 is 5730 years. What is its decay constant? After what length of time will 35% of an initial sample of Carbon-14 remain?

Homework Equations

Decay constant λ= 0.693 / T½
Where N = amount of radioactive substance,
N=N0e-λt

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I can get the decay constant easily,
λ= 0.693 / 5730 = 1.2094x10-4
but I just can't figure out an expression for the time taken for the amount of nuclear material to remain.
I'm thinking the amount can be expressed in the formula:
0.35=e-λt
It's probably some simple algebra but I can't figure out how to isolate t in this equation :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you reviewed the basic algebra associated with the exponential function? I'll give you a hint: logarithm.

Likes InsaneScientist
InsaneScientist said:

Homework Statement

The half life T½ of Carbon-14 is 5730 years. What is its decay constant? After what length of time will 35% of an initial sample of Carbon-14 remain?

Homework Equations

Decay constant λ= 0.693 / T½
Where N = amount of radioactive substance,
N=N0e-λt

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I can get the decay constant easily,
λ= 0.693 / 5730 = 1.2094x10-4
but I just can't figure out an expression for the time taken for the amount of nuclear material to remain.
I'm thinking the amount can be expressed in the formula:
0.35=e-λt
It's probably some simple algebra but I can't figure out how to isolate t in this equation :confused:
Remember, ln (ex) = x

Likes InsaneScientist
Mister T said:
Have you reviewed the basic algebra associated with the exponential function? I'll give you a hint: logarithm.
Thanks for the hint :) I haven't done any maths in over 2 years before starting my physics course so I've forgotten a lot of basic stuff which they tend to skip out on in Uni.

logeN = -λt
loge0.35 = -1.209x10-4t

t = loge0.35 / -1.209x10-4 = 8683.4 years.
Is this correct?

InsaneScientist said:
Thanks for the hint :) I haven't done any maths in over 2 years before starting my physics course so I've forgotten a lot of basic stuff which they tend to skip out on in Uni.

logeN = -λt
loge0.35 = -1.209x10-4t

Is this correct?
Seems to be. Half of the C-14 disappears after 5730 years, and 75% is gone after 5730 + 5730 = 11,460 years.

InsaneScientist said:

logeN = -λt
loge0.35 = -1.209x10-4t

Is this correct?
You can also find the number of half-lifes to get 35% by solving ##\displaystyle \ 0.35=\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^x \,,\ ## where x is the number of half-lifes .

That gives an answer close to yours.
8678.5 years

1. What factors affect the time taken for a certain amount of nuclear material to remain?

The time taken for a specific amount of nuclear material to remain is primarily affected by the type of material, its half-life, and the environment it is stored in. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and radiation exposure can also play a role.

2. How is the half-life of a nuclear material determined?

The half-life of a nuclear material is determined through experiments in which the decay rate of the material is measured over time. This data is then used to calculate the time it takes for half of the material to decay.

3. Can the time taken for a nuclear material to remain be manipulated?

No, the half-life of a nuclear material is a fixed property of the material and cannot be altered or manipulated. However, the rate of decay can be slowed down by controlling the surrounding environment, such as storing the material in a shielded container.

4. How does the time taken for nuclear material to remain impact its safety?

The longer a nuclear material remains radioactive, the longer it poses a potential hazard. Therefore, it is important to properly store and dispose of nuclear materials to prevent potential health and environmental risks.

5. Is there a maximum time for a nuclear material to remain radioactive?

Technically, nuclear materials can remain radioactive for thousands or even millions of years, depending on the half-life. However, as the material continues to decay, it eventually reaches a point where it is no longer considered hazardous. This is determined by regulatory agencies and varies depending on the type of material and its intended use.