Solving Rand Function MATLAB Homework

In summary: On the other hand, random numbers between 0 and 1 can be very small, but they cannot be used to form a product unless they are very small together. So there has to be some kind of distribution, like a normal distribution. Also, there has to be some kind of bound or limit, the numbers cannot be infinitely large or small. We could use a log-normal distribution, which is never a negative number. But I don't want to guess, you have to tell me exactly what you want to do.
SteliosVas

Homework Statement

The number of iterations it takes for the product of two random numbers to produce a number less than 1e-5.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

while z < 1e-05
count1 = count + 1;
x = rand(1,1); %rand 1x1 matrix
z = floor(a + (b-a+1) * rand(b,1));
if z < 1e-05
break
end

endNow I keep getting an error saying:
Error using rand
Size inputs must be scalar.

Why is this?EDIT:

while 2
% randomIntegers < 1e-05
count1 = count1 +1;
randomIntegers = randi([-10,10],[20,1]);

if randomIntergars > 1e-05
break
end

end

I tried this and it's still not working

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to produce random integers? I guess the random numbers are supposed to be floats between 0 and 1.
SteliosVas said:
while z < 1e-05
That looks like the opposite of what you want to do.
SteliosVas said:
z = floor(a + (b-a+1) * rand(b,1));
What does that line do? What are a and b? Why floor()?

rand(1,1) returns a 1x1-matrix of random numbers, which is just a random number. Anyway, the inputs have to be scalar, apparently your b is not a scalar - what is b?

Essentially what I want to do is generate two random numbers and their product being less than 1e-05.

That is all in trying to do.

"Two random numbers" is too unspecific. Dice rolls give random integers between 1 and 6 - they are random numbers, but clearly not those you want here because their product is never smaller than 1.

1. How do I solve a rand function in MATLAB?

The rand function in MATLAB generates a random number between 0 and 1. To solve for a specific number, you need to use the rand function in combination with other mathematical operations such as multiplication or addition. For example, to generate a random number between 1 and 10, you can use the expression rand*10+1.

2. Can I set a specific range for the rand function in MATLAB?

Yes, you can set a specific range for the rand function in MATLAB by using the syntax rand(M,N), where M and N are the dimensions of the matrix you want to generate. For example, rand(3,4) will generate a 3x4 matrix with random numbers between 0 and 1.

3. How can I generate a random integer using the rand function in MATLAB?

The rand function in MATLAB only generates random numbers between 0 and 1. To generate a random integer, you can use the ceil function in combination with the rand function. For example, ceil(rand*10) will generate a random integer between 1 and 10.

4. Is it possible to generate a specific distribution of random numbers using the rand function in MATLAB?

Yes, you can generate a specific distribution of random numbers using the rand function in MATLAB by using the syntax rand(1,N,'distribution'), where N is the number of random numbers you want to generate and 'distribution' can be replaced with 'normal' for a normal distribution or 'uniform' for a uniform distribution.

5. How can I seed the rand function in MATLAB for reproducible results?

To seed the rand function in MATLAB, you can use the syntax rng(seed), where seed is a positive integer. This will set the seed for the random number generator, allowing you to reproduce the same set of random numbers every time you run the code.