Solving second order CC non-homogenuous pde

In summary, the given problem involves solving the PDE Uxx+Uyy-c^2*u=0 for -inf<x<inf and y>0, with boundary conditions Uy(x,0)=f(x) and boundedness of u(x,y) as x-> +/- inf or y -> inf. It can be solved using two Fourier transforms or using greens function. However, since the PDE has constant coefficients, it can also be solved by assuming U=e^(rx+sy). The solution obtained using this method is U=e^(rx+sy)*(Acos(cy)+Bsin(cy)), which may not seem straightforward. It is unclear what the boundary conditions would be at x-->+/-inf or y->inf
iqjump123

Homework Statement

Uxx+Uyy-c^2*u=0
for -inf<x<inf
y>0, subject to boundary conditions
Uy(x,0)=f(x), u(x,y) bounded as x-> +/- inf or y -> inf

Homework Equations

Fourier transform
greens function?

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that I would have to go through two Fourier transforms to get this to be solved, or use greens function. However, I remember going through in class where since the PDE has constant coefficients, I can go ahead and solve assuming U=e^(rx+sy).
Is this the right path to go? I tried using the CC method using U=e^(rx+sy), but it isn't giving me a straightforward answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's giving me U=e^(rx+sy)*(Acos(cy)+Bsin(cy)) which doesn't make sense to me. Also, for the boundary conditions, I know that Uy(x,0)=f(x), but what would happen with u(x,y) as x-->+/-inf or y->inf? I don't think I can just set it equal to 0, because that would mean that u(x,y) would have to be 0 everywhere, which isn't true.

Related to Solving second order CC non-homogenuous pde

1. What is a second order CC non-homogeneous PDE?

A second order CC non-homogeneous PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves two independent variables and their derivatives, as well as a non-zero function. It is called non-homogeneous because the equation does not equal zero, unlike a homogeneous PDE where the right-hand side is always zero.

2. How do you solve a second order CC non-homogeneous PDE?

To solve a second order CC non-homogeneous PDE, you first need to identify the type of PDE (e.g. elliptic, parabolic, hyperbolic) and then use appropriate techniques such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or Green's functions. It is also important to apply boundary conditions to the solution to get a unique solution.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous PDE?

A homogeneous PDE has a right-hand side of zero, meaning there are no external forces or sources affecting the equation. On the other hand, a non-homogeneous PDE has a non-zero right-hand side, indicating the presence of external forces or sources. This results in different techniques and solutions for solving the two types of PDEs.

4. What are the applications of solving second order CC non-homogeneous PDEs?

Second order CC non-homogeneous PDEs have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model phenomena such as heat diffusion, wave propagation, and fluid flow. Solving these equations can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.

5. Are there any software or tools available for solving second order CC non-homogeneous PDEs?

Yes, there are various software and tools available for solving second order CC non-homogeneous PDEs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. These programs have built-in functions and algorithms for solving different types of PDEs and can handle complex equations with ease. Additionally, there are also online PDE solvers and resources available for those who do not have access to these software programs.