Length Contraction Formula: How to Calculate Observed Length at High Speeds

In summary, the spacecraft moves at a speed of 0.900c with respect to the ground. If its length is L, as measured by an observer on the spacecraft , the length measured by a ground observer is L/0.316.
Matt21

Homework Statement

This is a question asked in a entrance examination[/B]
A spacecraft moves at a speed of 0.900c with respect to the ground. If its length is L, as measured by an observer on the spacecraft , what is the length measured by a ground observer?

Homework Equations

observed length(delta L) = proper length(delta Lo) * sqrt(1-(velocity/speed of light)^2)

The attempt at a solution
I am unable to proceed with this problem as I am not given the proper length. I don't understand if I am supposed to be using a different formula or if the answer is supposed to be an actual value or not. Any help in regards to the proper formula would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between ##L## and the proper length?

Matt21 said:
If its length is L, as measured by an observer on the spacecraft ,

Matt21 said:
I am not given the proper length.
The required answer is not numerical, I think.

Matt21 said:
I am not given the proper length
Yes, you are given the proper length. It is L.

Be very careful in your substitution, this could get confusing.

When plugging in the values that I have into the equation I get Lo = L/((0.900c)^2/c^2) = L/0.316. Unless I did something wrong, I'm wondering if this is the right answer because it certainly doesn't seem like it.

I can't see how you got where you are by proper re-arrangement of that formula. Try to do that manipulation again- sticking carefully to the rules of algebra.
For instance, what happened to the "1-" bit? And the square root?

What you want here is:

##L=\dfrac{L_0}{\gamma(v)}##

where:

##\gamma(v)\equiv\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-\left(\dfrac{v}{c}\right)^2}}##

And so we have:

##L=L_0\sqrt{1-\left(\dfrac{v}{c}\right)^2}\tag{1}##

This is what you gave initially, but you wound up dividing, and not by ##\gamma(v)##. Try using the formula you initially gave (1).

MarkFL said:
What you want here is:

##L=\dfrac{L_0}{\gamma(v)}##

where:

##\gamma(v)\equiv\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-\left(\dfrac{v}{c}\right)^2}}##

And so we have:

##L=L_0\sqrt{1-\left(\dfrac{v}{c}\right)^2}\tag{1}##

This is what you gave initially, but you wound up dividing, and not by ##\gamma(v)##. Try using the formula you initially gave (1).
That's fine but I was hoping that he would dig himself out of that one. (I am a hateful person sometimes :wink:)

sophiecentaur said:
That's fine but I was hoping that he would dig himself out of that one. (I am a hateful person sometimes :wink:)

My apologies; during the time it took me to compose my post you had posted. If I had seen your post first, I certainly wouldn't have replied. :oops:

No harm done. It's very hard not to give the answer when it's staring you in the face. But, hopefully, we have solved the OP's problem now.

Likes MarkFL

What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in which objects appear to be shorter in the direction of motion when observed from a reference frame moving at high speeds.

What is the formula for calculating observed length at high speeds?

The formula for calculating observed length at high speeds is given by L0 = L * √(1 - v2/c2), where L0 is the observed length, L is the actual length, v is the relative velocity, and c is the speed of light.

Why is there a need for a length contraction formula?

The length contraction formula is necessary because as an object moves at high speeds, its length appears to decrease in the direction of motion. This phenomenon is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity and has been experimentally proven.

Is length contraction applicable to all objects?

Yes, length contraction applies to all objects, regardless of their mass or composition. However, the amount of contraction experienced by an object depends on its velocity relative to the observer.

Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

Length contraction can only be observed in objects moving at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. In everyday life, the effects of length contraction are negligible and cannot be observed without specialized equipment.