Solving Simple Uniform Motion Problem: Marlene's Bicycle Ride to Jon's House

In summary: Therefore, the overall distance traveled uphill would cancel out, leaving only the distance traveled on level ground, which is equal to half the total distance traveled. So, in summary, Marlene traveled a total distance of 6 miles, with half of it being uphill and the other half being on level ground. This means that the distance to Jon's house is 3 miles.
ADMO

Homework Statement

Marlene rides her bicycle to her friend Jon's house and returns home by the same route. Marlene rides her bike at constant speeds of 6 mph on level ground, 4 mph when going uphill, and 12 mph when going downhill. If her total time riding was 1 hour, how far is it to Jon’s house?

Answer = 3 miles

Homework Equations

d=rt
t=d/r

The Attempt at a Solution

t1+t2+t3=1hour

L/6mph+U/4mph+D/12mph=1hour

I have tried solving for each variable independently and then substituting it, but when I do that all my terms cancel out and I am either left with 1=1 or 12=12 depending of which equation I start with.

I understand that Marlene traveled different distances at different rates, and for different intervals of time. I know that the total distance traveled in 1 hour must be 6 miles but I can't seem to express it mathematically. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
ADMO said:

Homework Statement

Marlene rides her bicycle to her friend Jon's house and returns home by the same route. Marlene rides her bike at constant speeds of 6 mph on level ground, 4 mph when going uphill, and 12 mph when going downhill. If her total time riding was 1 hour, how far is it to Jon’s house?

Answer = 3 miles

Homework Equations

d=rt
t=d/r

The Attempt at a Solution

t1+t2+t3=1hour

L/6mph+U/4mph+D/12mph=1hour

I have tried solving for each variable independently and then substituting it, but when I do that all my terms cancel out and I am either left with 1=1 or 12=12 depending of which equation I start with.

I understand that Marlene traveled different distances at different rates, and for different intervals of time. I know that the total distance traveled in 1 hour must be 6 miles but I can't seem to express it mathematically. [/B]
If Marlene travels a certain distance uphill on her way to Jon's house, does she travel this same distance uphill on her way back home?

SteamKing said:
If Marlene travels a certain distance uphill on her way to Jon's house, does she travel this same distance uphill on her way back home?
She would travel the same distance, but she will be going downhill where ever she initially traveled uphill.

What is Simple Uniform Motion?

Simple Uniform Motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a straight line with a constant speed.

What are the key components of a Simple Uniform Motion problem?

The key components of a Simple Uniform Motion problem are the distance traveled, the time taken to travel that distance, and the speed at which the object is moving.

How do you calculate the speed of an object in Simple Uniform Motion?

The speed of an object in Simple Uniform Motion can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time.

What is the difference between speed and velocity in Simple Uniform Motion?

In Simple Uniform Motion, speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity refers to the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction.

How can Simple Uniform Motion problems be applied in real life?

Simple Uniform Motion problems can be applied in real life situations such as calculating the speed of a car on a highway, determining the time it takes for a train to travel a certain distance, or estimating the distance a runner can cover in a given amount of time.