What Was the Force of Impact on My Mom During a Biking Accident?

In summary, the conversation is discussing an incident where a woman was hit by a biker while walking on a concrete path. The person asking for help is trying to calculate the force of impact at the moment of collision and when the woman hit the ground. They are using the formula F = 1/2 m v^2 / s but are unsure of the correct values to plug in, as well as the best unit to explain the results in layman's terms. The conversation also mentions that force is tricky to calculate and that the estimate of 20mph for the biker's speed and 200 pounds for their weight may be inaccurate. A calculation is provided using a more plausible speed and weight, which suggests that the impact would have
DynamicMenace

Homework Statement

This isn't for homework or anything like that, just something that happened to my mom around 2 years ago that I'm trying to calculate what forces she was subjected to.

She and my dad were walking the family dog (not that it's relevant, but I'm an adult and don't live at home) on a path right by their house that they do almost every day. It is a concrete path and people ride their bikes on it. This day she was hit by a biker traveling at high speed from behind and knocked to the ground. I am looking for what the force of impact was both when he hit her and, more importantly, when she hit the concrete.

She is 5'2" and weighs around 95 pounds. She estimated he weighed 200 pounds and was traveling at 20 miles per hour.

Homework Equations

I believe F = 1/2 m v2 / s is the correct formula, but this is where I am running into a snag. I'm not entirely sure that it is correct, and if it is, I don't really know what to do for the slow down distance, which is a huge part of the equation I gather.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a few different things plugged into the slowdown distance, and just don't know if any of it is correct or if I am wildly off point. Second, what would be the best unit to convert or use to explain this in layman's terms?

Any and all help is appreciated, and if I can provide any more information, of course let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many threads on this forum asking for how to calculate the force of an impact. The short answer is that you can't. You may be able to calculate the kinetic energy, and you may be able to calculate the impulse (change in momentum), but force is trickier. If you could study the impact microsecond by microsecond you would find that the force rises from zero to some maximum then decays away to zero again. If you plotted that as a graph of force against time, the area under the graph would be the impulse. If you knew the duration of the impact (which is pretty hard to know) you could calculate the average force, but it would not tell you the peak force, which is often more important.
Fwiw, I very much doubt the estimate of 20mph unless it was down a hill. 20kph perhaps. 200 pounds also sounds like exaggeration. Let's try 20kph and 80kg, with your mother at 43kg, stationary. The impact would have been mostly inelastic, so take them as coalescing. Speed after impact = 20*80/(80+43) kph = 3.61m/s. For your mother, that would have been like falling 3.612/2g = 0.67m onto a hard surface. The subsequent fall to the ground would have been a similar impact.

What is the formula for calculating impact force?

The formula for calculating impact force is force = mass x acceleration, or F = m x a. This means that the impact force is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration it experiences.

How do you calculate the mass in impact force?

The mass in impact force is usually the mass of the object that is causing the impact. This can be measured using a scale or by knowing the weight of the object. In some cases, the mass may also include the weight of any additional objects that may be involved in the impact.

What is the unit of measurement for impact force?

The unit of measurement for impact force is Newtons (N). This unit is derived from the formula for force, which is mass x acceleration. In this case, the unit for mass is kilograms (kg) and the unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2), so the unit for force becomes kg x m/s^2, which is equivalent to Newtons.

How do you measure acceleration in impact force?

Acceleration can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using an accelerometer or a force sensor. In some cases, the acceleration may also be known based on the speed and time of impact. If the acceleration is not known, it can be calculated using the formula a = (Vf - Vi)/t, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What are some common applications for calculating impact force?

Calculating impact force is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to design structures that can withstand certain forces, to analyze the effects of collisions and impacts, and to determine the safety and effectiveness of sports equipment.