Solving simultaneous equations

In summary: And that's how we get the final answers of x = 2.71 and y = 1.71. In summary, we solved the simultaneous equations 2^x+y = 6^y and 3^x = 6(2^y) by using the property that if a^x = a^y, then x=y and the inverse function of the exponential function. This allowed us to find a linear relation between x and y and ultimately solve for both variables. The final answers are x = 2.71 and y = 1.71.
chwala
Gold Member
I am trying to solve the simultaneous equation 2^x+y = 6^y and 3^x = 6(2^y) i have solved as follows
3^x . 2^x+y = 3^x . 6^y
3^x. 2^x+y = 6(2^y). 2^x+y on subtraction
i get
3^x.6^y - 6(2^y).2^x+y = 0 then
3^x. 6^y = 6(2^y). 2^x. 2^y on solving i get
x log (3/2)= log 6+y log(3/2) now i do i get x and y from this step. the answers are x=2.71 and y = 1.71 regards

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, let's see. So just to make sure I have the problem clear... your two equations are [itex]2^{x+y} = 6^{y}[/itex] and [itex]3^{x} = 6 \cdot 2^{y}[/itex]. Fun looking problem, really. Well, let's see... if you multiply both sides of the second equation by 2^x, you get this:

[tex]6^{x} = 6 \cdot 2^{x+y}[/tex]

Then if we substitute the second equation in for the first, we get this:

[tex]6^{x} = 6 \cdot 6^{y}[/tex]

Now this looks nice and simple. The right side simplifies to 6^(y+1), and so we have 6^(x) = 6^(y+1). Now, there's a certain property, I can't remember what it is, but basically it says if a^x = a^y, then x=y. So using that property, we have x=y+1. Good! We found a simple linear relation between x and y. Now we just need to figure out what satisfies this. To solve that, we substitute y+1 wherever we see an x in the first equation to find the solution for x, which we then need to subtract 1 from that solution to get y. That should be the whole solution set.

Likes chwala
Thanks i now get it
2^x+y =6^y since x=y+1,
2^y+1+y = 6^y
2^2y+1 = 6^y
4^y+2 = 6^y
log 2 = y log (6/4)
y= log 2/ log 1.5
y= 1.709 hence x = 1.709+1 = 2.709

Char. Limit said:
Now, there's a certain property, I can't remember what it is, but basically it says if a^x = a^y, then x=y. So using that property, we have x=y+1.
The property is that the function is "one-to-one": if f is a "one-to-one" function and f(x)= f(y) then x= y. Or, equivalently, that the exponential function, [itex]a^x[/itex], has the inverse function, [itex]log_a(x)[/itex]. If [itex]a^x= a^y[/itex] then [itex]ln(a^x)= ln(a^y)[/itex] so that x= y.

HallsofIvy said:
The property is that the function is "one-to-one": if f is a "one-to-one" function and f(x)= f(y) then x= y. Or, equivalently, that the exponential function, [itex]a^x[/itex], has the inverse function, [itex]log_a(x)[/itex]. If [itex]a^x= a^y[/itex] then [itex]ln(a^x)= ln(a^y)[/itex] so that x= y.

Ah, thank you, that's the one! Of course, the exponential function is only one-to-one if we assume x and y are both real, but we can safely assume that here.

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are equations that contain two or more variables and need to be solved together to find the values of those variables.

2. Why do we need to solve simultaneous equations?

Solving simultaneous equations allows us to find the values of multiple variables at once, making it easier to solve complex problems and model real-world situations.

3. What are the different methods for solving simultaneous equations?

The most common methods for solving simultaneous equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. Other methods include using matrices and determinants.

4. Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations must match the number of variables in order to find a unique solution.

5. Are there any special cases when solving simultaneous equations?

Yes, there are special cases such as inconsistent equations (no solution) and dependent equations (infinite solutions). These can be identified through the number of solutions obtained when solving the equations.