Solving South America Combinations Problem: 210 Possibilities

• Thread starter baywatch123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combinations
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the number of possible combinations of watches and sunglasses that can be brought on a trip to South America with a limit of four items. The correct method involves multiplying the subsets 5C2 and 6C2, resulting in 150 combinations. However, adding the information on "at least 1 pair of sunglasses" would also allow for the option of taking 4 watches, resulting in 480 combinations. This method overcounts as it includes combinations where the same item is chosen multiple times.
baywatch123
Question: You are traveling to South America in two weeks. A friend bought you 5 watches and 6 pairs of sunglasses. You can bring at least 2 watches and at least 1 pair of sunglasses, and can only bring 4 items (so you don't lose all of them). How many combinations of watches and sunglasses can you have?

This is my thought process:
First, 5C2 (for the at least 2) = 10
Second, 6C2 (to fill remaining last 2 "spots") = 15
Multiply subsets = 150.

5C3 (since it was at least 2) = 10
6C1 (to fill in last spot) = 6
Multiply subset = 60

Add 150+60 = 210 possible combinations...

is this correct? is my thought process right. with the limit of "4 items" i feel like i didn't need to add "at least 1 pair of sunglasses"

what if the question instead stated, "you only want to bring 2 watches and 2 sunglasses..." then would it just be
5C2 = 10
6C2 = 15
and then multiply? to get 150 combinations?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry if i didn't follow the preformatted thread

It looks reasonable to me.

However, you did add the information on "at least 1 pair of sunglasses". If not you would also have had the option of taking 4 watches.

The following reasoning which gives another result would be wrong, can you tell why?
I will bring at least two watches and one pair of sunglasses so let me start by picking these. That would give me 5C2 = 10 and 6C1 = 6 options, respectively. There now remains 8 objects of which I can pick one for 8C1 = 8 options. Multiplying together gives 10*6*8 = 480 combinations.

Duplicate of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=766202

haruspex said:
Duplicate of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=766202

yeah sorry, i didn't mean to. didn't know where to ask until i started scoping around and found that this was the right place!

my apologies!

Orodruin said:
It looks reasonable to me.

However, you did add the information on "at least 1 pair of sunglasses". If not you would also have had the option of taking 4 watches.

The following reasoning which gives another result would be wrong, can you tell why?
I will bring at least two watches and one pair of sunglasses so let me start by picking these. That would give me 5C2 = 10 and 6C1 = 6 options, respectively. There now remains 8 objects of which I can pick one for 8C1 = 8 options. Multiplying together gives 10*6*8 = 480 combinations.

ah okay so the 8C1 is to fill in the last "remaining" spot

baywatch123 said:
ah okay so the 8C1 is to fill in the last "remaining" spot

No, as I told you your first reasoning was correct. I added this as an example of how people get it wrong and asked if you can tell why it is wrong. (It is obviously double counting some combinations since the result was larger. But why does it overcount?)

Orodruin said:
No, as I told you your first reasoning was correct. I added this as an example of how people get it wrong and asked if you can tell why it is wrong. (It is obviously double counting some combinations since the result was larger. But why does it overcount?)

yes sorry i was referring to your example. and it would over count because now we might count in the "already chosen" watches and sunglasses

Yes, some of the combinations where a particular watch is chosen in the last step will be equivalent to combinations where it was chosen in the first and so on. Therefore, that method overcounts.

baywatch123 said:
yeah sorry, i didn't mean to. didn't know where to ask until i started scoping around and found that this was the right place!

my apologies!

As I pointed out on the other thread, it is not clear that you have to take four items. Do you?

What is the "Solving South America Combinations Problem"?

The "Solving South America Combinations Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding all possible combinations of 7 South American countries to form a group of 3 countries. There are 210 possible combinations, and the goal is to determine all of them.

Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it can help us understand the complexity of combinations and how they can be applied in real-world situations. It also challenges our critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What is the formula for calculating combinations?

The formula for calculating combinations is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being selected. In the "Solving South America Combinations Problem," n = 7 and r = 3, so the formula would be 7C3 = 7! / 3!(7-3)! = 35.

How can the "Solving South America Combinations Problem" be solved?

The "Solving South America Combinations Problem" can be solved by systematically listing all possible combinations using the formula for calculating combinations. This can be done manually or with the help of a computer program.

What are some real-life applications of combinations?

Combinations are used in a variety of fields such as mathematics, statistics, computer science, and engineering. They are used to solve problems in genetics, probability, and cryptography, and they also have practical applications in areas such as inventory management, scheduling, and data compression.