Solving Spherical Harmonics Homework

In summary: The point of the exercise is not to find the correct answer, it is to learn the method. It is unlikely that you would have the same question again, and if you did you should redo the exercise instead of looking up the answer.The point of this exercise was to learn the method of applying the raising operator, which you have now done. You should move on to the next problem. If you have the energy, redo the exercise with the correct sign convention for the spherical harmonics.
says

Homework Statement

The spherical harmonic, Ym,l(θ,φ) is given by:
Y2,3(θ,φ) = √((105/32π))*sin2θcosθe2iφ

1) Use the ladder operator, L+ = +ħe(∂/∂θ+icotθ∂/∂φ) to evaluate L+Y2,3(θ,φ)

2) Use the result in 1) to calculate Y3,3(θ,φ)

Homework Equations

L+Ym,l(θ,φ)=Am,lYm+1,l(θ,φ)
Am,l=ħ√l(l+1)-m(m+1)

Ym,l(θ,φ) = (-1)m √[((2l+1)/4π) ((l-m)!/(l+m)!)] Pm,lcosθeimφ

The Attempt at a Solution

1) For m=2, l=3

A2,3 = ħ√3(3+1)-2(2+1) = ħ√6

∴L+Y2,3(θ,φ)=A2,3Y2+1,3(θ,φ)

=ħ√6 Y3,3(θ,φ)

2) Y3,3(θ,φ) = (-1)3 √[((2(3)+1)/4π) ((3-3)!/(3+3)!)] P3,3cosθei3φ

= -1 √[(7/4π)(1/720)]P3,3cosθei3φ

I don't think I've fully understood the question because I haven't really used the result in 1) to calculate 2)...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not supposed to leave an associated Legendre function hanging. You are supposed to use your result from (1) to find an explicit expression for ##Y_{33}##.

You also have not solved (1) because you are supposed to evaluate ##L_+ Y_{23}## explicitly, not express it in terms of ##Y_{33}##.

I've used the raising operator, L+ and operated on Y2,3.

The only other way I can think of evaluating (1) would be by L2Y2,3 = constantY2,3

where L2 is the angular momentum operator, which can be made up of L+L- raising operators.

The spherical harmonics are eigenfunctions of the operator L2, and the constant is an eigenvalue, equal to ħ2 l(l+1)

says said:
I've used the raising operator, L+ and operated on Y2,3.
No, you have not. You are supposed to operate on the actual expression given. Then in (2) you are supposed to compute ##Y_{33}## using the relations you have already given.

You have the raising operator represented as a derivative operator and you have the expression for ##Y_{23}##, all you have to do is apply it.

ahhh ok

L+Ym,l(θ,φ) = +ħe(∂/∂θ+icotθ∂/∂φ)√((105/32π))*sin2θcosθe2iφ

Can I rearrange that equation so it looks like this (below), grouping the partial derivatives?

√((105/32π))ħe (∂/∂θ [sin2θ cosθ] + icotθ ∂/∂φ [e2iφ])

No. That is not how derivatives work.

Ok, I'm not entirely sure how to evaluate that first equation in post #5 then.

Just perform the derivatives. I am sorry, but I cannot see where the difficulty in this lies. You just need to use the distributive property of the linear differential operators.

Ok, I made an attempt with that differential.

(1)
L+Y23 = +ħe [ ∂/∂θ + icotθ ∂/∂φ ] (√(105/32π) sin2θ cosθ e2iφ)

L+Y23 =+ħe√(105/32π) [ (sin2θ cosθ - sin3θ)e2iφ - (2cotθ sin2θ cosθ)e2iφ

L+Y23 =+ħe3iφ√(105/32π) [ (sin2θ cosθ - sin3θ) - (2cotθ sin2θ cosθ)

(2) If question (1) is correct then (2) should be:

A23Y33 = Answer from question (1)

A23 = ħ√6

Y33 = (e3iφ√(105/32π) [ (sin2θ cosθ - sin3θ) - (2 cotθ sin2θ cosθ) ] / √6

Y33 = √(35π/8) e3iφ [ (sin2θ cosθ - sin3θ) - (2 cotθ sin2θ cosθ)]

Is there any way to check these answers? This is similar to Griffiths problem 4.23

Your answer could use some cleaning up. For example, how can ##\cot(\theta) \sin^2(\theta)\cos(\theta)## be written on a simpler form? I also strongly suggest against having a ##\sin(2\theta)##.

Once you have it you can just compare to the usual expression for the spherical harmonics in terms of the associated Legendre functions.

simplifying those two terms:

2cotθsin2θcosθ
= 2(cosθ/sinθ)sin2θcosθ
=2cos2θsinθ

sin2θcosθ-sin3θ
=2sinθcos2θ-sin3θ∴ L+Y23= +ħe3iφ√(105/32π) [ 2sinθcos2θ - sin3θ - 2cos2θsinθ]
= +ħe3iφ√(105/32π) [-sin3θ]
= -ħe3iφ√(105/32π) [sin3θ]

∴ Question (2)

Y33 = - e3iφ (√(35π)/8) (sin3θ)

So how does that compare with what you would find with the usual expression for ##Y_{33}##?

Likes says
Is the 8 inside your square root or not? It is unclear from your notation.

You will probably find it easier to get through with notation if you use ##\LaTeX##.

Sorry, yes my 8 is inside the square root

oh dear...

Thank you for your help, @Orodruin much appreciated!

It should be mentioned that different people use different normalisation conventions for the spherical harmonics. In quantum mechanics we are very used to normalising states and typically normalise our orthogonal functions to have norm one. However, in different disciplines, other conventions are used, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_harmonics#Conventions

Likes DrClaude and says
Orodruin said:
in different disciplines, other conventions are used
On that topic, may I add that I have never seen the notation ##Y_{m,l}##, which made me first think that the OP had the operation of ##L_+## wrong. The only conventions I am aware of are ##Y_{l,m}## and ##Y_l^m##.

Likes says
Yes, I was writing them the other way around because I didn't know how to do that formatting. I'll try it for next time!

DrClaude said:
On that topic, may I add that I have never seen the notation ##Y_{m,l}##, which made me first think that the OP had the operation of ##L_+## wrong. The only conventions I am aware of are ##Y_{l,m}## and ##Y_l^m##.
Me neither, I used the OP's notation just to avoid in-thread confusion.

In my post #12 I have a minus sign (in the -sin3θ), which I've then taken out to the front.

I've looked at the Griffiths problem 4.23, which is similar to this problem: http://physicspages.com/pdf/Griffiths%20QM/Griffiths%20Problems%2004.23.pdf

I don't think I've missed another minus sign to cancel it out though, and the answer in the other link doesn't have a minus sign: https://research.csiro.au/static/dcm/HydrogenAtomWaveFunction.htm

Just as with normalisation, there are different sogn conventions. You really should check against the definitions in your original source, not against a random internet page.

What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions that represent the angular part of the solution to the Laplace equation in spherical coordinates. They are used to describe the variation of a physical quantity over the surface of a sphere.

Why are spherical harmonics important?

Spherical harmonics are important because they have a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems involving rotational symmetry and can be used to model physical phenomena such as electromagnetic fields, heat flow, and quantum mechanics.

How do you solve spherical harmonics homework?

To solve spherical harmonics homework, you need to understand the properties and equations associated with spherical harmonics. This includes knowledge of the Laplace equation, Legendre polynomials, and associated Legendre functions. You also need to be familiar with the spherical harmonics expansion and how to use it to solve problems.

What are some common mistakes when solving spherical harmonics homework?

Some common mistakes when solving spherical harmonics homework include using incorrect equations or forgetting to include all necessary terms in the spherical harmonics expansion. Students may also struggle with understanding the concept of rotational symmetry and how it applies to spherical harmonics problems.

Can I use software to help me solve spherical harmonics homework?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can assist with solving spherical harmonics problems. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and equations involved in order to use the software effectively and accurately interpret the results.