Solving Squid Propulsion with Momentum Conservation Equation

• Thread starter isukatphysics69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Propulsion
In summary, The conversation involves a confusion about solving a problem involving conservation of momentum. The solution is found by setting the initial momentum equal to the final momentum and solving for the final velocity of the water. The final answer is 22.5m/s, which is smaller than expected.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

squidward.PNG

Homework Equations

p=mv
j=Δp[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused as to how to approach this problem. so it looks like squidwards mass is changing from 1.2kg to 1.1kg after he shoots out the water from his butt. I know that momentum is conserved so

1.1*2.7 - 1.2*0.6 should = 0.
this leaves -2.25kgm/s left. so then i would have to divide by his mass? so his mass is currently 1.1kg which gives a speed of 2.0454545m/s

Attachments

• squidward.PNG
    squidward.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 649
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i am completely wrong here and don't know what i am doing

Ahh ok i got it.
So the momentum is conserved

1.2kg*.60m/s = 1.1kg*2.7m/s - .10kg*vwater

-2.25kgm/s / -.10kg = vwater = 22.5m/s
Why is that so small ? i tried to edit it

-2.25kgm/s / -.10kg = vwater = 22.5m/s

1. What is momentum conservation and how does it apply to squid propulsion?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of squid propulsion, this principle applies because the squid's body and water around it are considered a closed system. The squid expels water in one direction, which creates an equal and opposite force that propels the squid in the opposite direction, according to Newton's third law of motion.

2. How does the momentum conservation equation help in understanding squid propulsion?

The momentum conservation equation, also known as the law of conservation of momentum, helps in understanding squid propulsion by providing a quantitative description of the relationship between the squid's mass, velocity, and the force it exerts on the water. By using this equation, scientists can calculate the speed and direction of the squid's movement and predict how it will change when different variables, such as the squid's size or water density, are altered.

3. What are the limitations of using the momentum conservation equation to study squid propulsion?

While the momentum conservation equation is a useful tool for understanding squid propulsion, it does have limitations. One limitation is that it assumes the squid and surrounding water are incompressible and have a constant density, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios. Additionally, the equation does not take into account other factors, such as the shape and flexibility of the squid's body, which can also affect its propulsion.

4. How do scientists study the momentum conservation equation in relation to squid propulsion?

Scientists study the momentum conservation equation in relation to squid propulsion through a combination of laboratory experiments and mathematical modeling. In the laboratory, researchers can observe and measure the movement of live squid and use specialized equipment to track their velocity and force. They can then use these measurements to validate and refine their mathematical models, which allow them to make predictions and further understand the mechanics of squid propulsion.

5. What are the potential real-world applications of studying squid propulsion using the momentum conservation equation?

Studying squid propulsion using the momentum conservation equation has potential real-world applications in fields such as marine engineering and biomimicry. By understanding the mechanisms behind squid movement, scientists can design more efficient underwater vehicles and propulsion systems. Additionally, the principles of squid propulsion may inspire new technologies that mimic the squid's movement, such as flexible, multi-directional propulsion systems for underwater drones.