Stability analysis for numerical schemes of systems of PDEs

hunt_mat
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
Everyone knows how to do this type of analysis for a single equation, but what about systems?
I want to solve the following system of PDEs:
[tex]\frac{\partial\nu}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial h}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial}{\partial h}\left(f(\nu)\frac{\partial u}{\partial h}\right)[/tex]

I know the usual Fourier analysis that are applied to the stencil for single equations that lead to conditions of the variables but I want to know how it's done for a system. I want to do the weighted-average method and I want to work out the value to give the largest dt.

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle, you can use the same technique: define the discrete fourier transforms of both variables, [tex]\begin{split}
\hat\nu(\zeta, t) &= \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \nu_n(t)e^{in\zeta} \\
\hat u(\zeta, t) &= \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty u_n(t)e^{in\zeta}\end{split}[/tex] Then taking the DFT of your PDEs you have the system [tex]
\begin{split}
\frac{\partial \hat\nu}{\partial t} &= N(\hat u, \zeta) \\
\frac{\partial \hat u}{\partial t} &= U(\hat u, \hat \nu, \zeta) \end{split}[/tex] to which you can apply the stability analysis, treating [itex]\zeta \in [0, 2\pi][/itex] as constant. The result is that both of the eigenvalues of the jacobian of this system must be in the stable region of the time integration for all values of [itex]\zeta \in [0, 2\pi][/itex].

1. What is stability analysis for numerical schemes of systems of PDEs?

Stability analysis is a method used to determine the stability of a numerical scheme for solving systems of partial differential equations (PDEs). It involves studying the behavior of the numerical solution as the step size or time interval approaches zero.

2. Why is stability analysis important for numerical schemes of systems of PDEs?

Stability analysis is important because it ensures that the numerical solution of a system of PDEs is accurate and reliable. A stable numerical scheme will produce a solution that is close to the true solution, while an unstable scheme can produce wildly inaccurate results.

3. How is stability analysis performed for numerical schemes of systems of PDEs?

Stability analysis involves analyzing the eigenvalues of the coefficient matrix in the numerical scheme. If all eigenvalues are within a certain range, the scheme is considered stable. This range is determined by the specific PDE being solved and the type of numerical scheme being used.

4. What factors can affect the stability of a numerical scheme for systems of PDEs?

The stability of a numerical scheme can be affected by the step size or time interval used, the boundary conditions of the PDE, and the type of PDE being solved. Additionally, numerical schemes that are higher order or use more complex algorithms may be more prone to instability.

5. How can stability analysis be used to improve the accuracy of numerical schemes for systems of PDEs?

By performing stability analysis, scientists and engineers can identify potential issues with a numerical scheme and make adjustments to improve its stability. This can include using a smaller step size, modifying the boundary conditions, or choosing a different numerical scheme altogether. By ensuring stability, the accuracy of the numerical solution can be greatly improved.