Solving the Bearing Problem - Is There a General Solution?

• Thread starter David Carroll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bearing
In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical scenario where the speaker, a technician in a cylinder bearing factory, is given a task to find other solid metal cylinders that can fit around a given solid metal cylinder inside a hollow one. They question whether there is a general way to solve this problem and suggest using a spacer ring to maintain gaps between the rollers. There is also a mention of the possibility of using wall thickness instead of diameter.
David Carroll
I remember daydreaming one day (is that redundant?), imagining that I'm some technician in a cylinder bearing factory. At some point, I'm given a hollow metal cylinder of some given cross-sectional diameter. Next the foreman gives me a solid metal cylinder with a smaller diameter. This solid metal cylinder fits inside the hollow metal cylinder. The foreman then gives me the task of finding other solid metal cylinders such that when the first solid metal cylinder is fitted exactly in the center of the hollow one, the other solid metal cylinders all of which a diameter equal with one another must all fit around the center one with an exact fit.

The problem is: with a given initial solid metal cylinder, how do I know if there is even a solution to an integer number of other solid metal cylinders to fit around it all inside the hollow metal cylinder?

Is there a general way of solving this problem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you are describing a roller bearing. The way you do it is that you don't try to completely fill the space. Rather, the bearing elements are spaced around the circumference with gaps between them. Then a spacer ring is introduced that maintains the spaces between the rollers.

David Carroll said:
all of which a diameter equal with one another

Maybe you mean "wall thickness" instead of "diameter" ?

Related to Solving the Bearing Problem - Is There a General Solution?

1. What is the "Bearing Problem" and why is it important to solve?

The "Bearing Problem" refers to the challenge of determining the direction and distance between two points on a map using a compass. This is important for navigation, cartography, and other fields where accurate spatial information is needed.

2. Is there a general solution to the Bearing Problem?

Yes, there is a general solution to the Bearing Problem. This involves using trigonometric principles to calculate the bearing and distance between two points. However, the specific method used may vary depending on the specific problem and data provided.

3. Are there any limitations to the general solution of the Bearing Problem?

While the general solution can provide accurate results, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes a perfectly spherical Earth and may not work well in areas with extreme topography or near the poles.

4. What are some common challenges in solving the Bearing Problem?

Some common challenges include inaccuracies in the compass or map, difficulty in determining the starting and ending points, and dealing with obstacles or changes in terrain.

5. How can the Bearing Problem be applied in real-world situations?

The Bearing Problem has numerous applications in real-world situations, including navigation for hikers and sailors, surveying and cartography, and military operations. It can also be used for creating accurate maps, calculating flight paths, and more.