Solving the F16 Jet Fighter Turning Circle Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses two physics questions. The first question involves a circle with labeled points and a particle traveling along the circle at a constant speed. The question asks for the average speed and velocity for one revolution, as well as for specific points on the circle. The second question involves an F16 jet fighter flying at a constant speed and asks for the angle of bank the plane must make to achieve a turn. The conversation also discusses the definitions of speed, velocity, and acceleration, as well as the concepts of distance and displacement.
mgnymph
Question 1.

Homework Statement

The question shows a circle labeled as follows
-A at the uppermost point
-B at the most-right point
-C at the lowest point
-D at the most-left point

so, the length along the circle from A to B (and B to C, C to D, D to A) is one quarter of the circumference.

There is a particle traveling along this circle at constant speed, and completes one revolution in 5.0seconds.

a) average speed for one revolution
b) average speed from A to B
c) average velocity for one revolution
d) average velocity from A to C
e) average velocity from A to B
f) change in velocity from A to C
g) change in velocity from A to B

Homework Equations

a = (v^2)/r
v = wr

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I understood circular motion and the definitions for speed and velocity until I came upon this question :(

a) Well, speed is velocity without a direction, but when something is moving around a circle, it's direction is constantly changing so I'm unsure how to go about this question

b) same problem as (a)

c) I thought this to be zero, since it returns to its original displacement but I'm not sure if it is asking for angular or linear... are definitions different? Or if it isn't mentioned, is it normally linear?

d) and e) same problem as (c)

f)&g) thought acceleration was just (v^2)/r... I'm not sure thought because they ask from one place to another, not around the entire circle.

Question 2..

Homework Statement

The turning circle of an F16 jet fighter when flying at a constant speed of 650 metres per second, has a radius of 80km. What is the angle of bank the plane must make to achieve this manoeuvre? (The angular tilt of its wings)

The Attempt at a Solution

I.. have no idea. The answer says 28.3 degrees, and I tried finding the angle using the velocity in one direction and acceleration perpendicular to it, with trig, but it comes out as 0.47 degrees (way too low)

That's it for now I guess >_>

Thanks ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
a&b) the question said "constant speed". You just need the length of the path traveled divided by the speed.

c-e) average velocity is displacement/time. It's a vector with an x and y component.

f&g) change in velocity is (final velocity) - (initial velocity)

Yeah Willem2 has it spot on. look up the difference between distance and displacement,it's critical to problem 1. Problem one seems to be a insight into definitions.

For Problem 2, you need to understand, why does the F16 need to bank? what does it achieve by banking? Its taking a turn right? why doesn't a car need to bank in order to make a turn? - Once you figure those out - Draw a diagram with the forces. and remember gravity is always down... straight down. While lift is perpendicular to the F16.

1. How does the F16 jet fighter turning circle puzzle work?

The F16 jet fighter turning circle puzzle is based on the concept of circular motion and centripetal force. The puzzle involves finding the radius of the circle that the jet fighter can fly in while turning at a constant speed, without losing altitude.

2. What is the significance of solving the F16 jet fighter turning circle puzzle?

Solving the F16 jet fighter turning circle puzzle is important for understanding the capabilities and limitations of the jet fighter. It can also be used to analyze and improve the performance of the aircraft.

3. What factors affect the turning circle of the F16 jet fighter?

The turning circle of the F16 jet fighter is affected by several factors such as speed, altitude, weight, and air density. These factors influence the amount of centripetal force needed to maintain a circular motion and ultimately determine the turning circle radius.

4. How can the F16 jet fighter turning circle puzzle be solved?

The F16 jet fighter turning circle puzzle can be solved by using the formula for centripetal force, which takes into account the aircraft's velocity, mass, and the radius of the turning circle. By setting the centripetal force equal to the weight of the aircraft, the radius of the turning circle can be calculated.

5. What are the practical applications of solving the F16 jet fighter turning circle puzzle?

The solution to the F16 jet fighter turning circle puzzle has practical applications in aviation, as it can be used to determine the minimum turning radius required for specific maneuvers. It can also be used in flight simulations and training programs to improve the pilot's understanding of the aircraft's capabilities.