Solving the Hypergeometric Function Integral Representation

In summary, we are trying to prove that the hypergeometric function can be represented as a definite integral, and that this representation satisfies the hypergeometric differential equation. However, despite some attempts and simplification, we are unable to solve the integrals that arise in the process. Further work may be needed to complete this proof.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Prove the following

\(\displaystyle {}_2 F_1 \left( a,b; c ; x \right) = \frac{\Gamma(c)}{\Gamma(b)\Gamma(c-b)}\int^1_0 t^{b-1}(1-t)^{c-b-1} (1-xt)^{-a} \, dt\)​

Hypergeometric function .

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint

\(\displaystyle (a)_k = \frac{\Gamma(k+a)}{\Gamma(a)}\)

Would it be sufficient to show that your version of [tex]_2 F _1 [/tex] solves the hypergeometric differential equation? I haven't tried it yet, and it looks like it might be a bit on the nasty side of tedious, but it should be a tolerable exercise.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Would it be sufficient to show that your version of [tex]_2 F _1 [/tex] solves the hypergeometric differential equation? I haven't tried it yet, and it looks like it might be a bit on the nasty side of tedious, but it should be a tolerable exercise.

-Dan

Not a clue . I skipped that part when I read about hypergeomtric function (Emo)

ZaidAlyafey said:
Prove the following

\(\displaystyle {}_2 F_1 \left( a,b; c ; x \right) = \frac{\Gamma(c)}{\Gamma(b)\Gamma(c-b)}\int^1_0 t^{b-1}(1-t)^{c-b-1} (1-xt)^{-a} \, dt\)​

Hypergeometric function .
This is more or less an exercise in Gamma functions.

The series solution for the hypergeometric function is:
\(\displaystyle _2 F _1 (a, b, c; x) = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{(a)_n (b)_n}{(c)_n} \frac{x^n}{n!}\)

where \(\displaystyle (a)_n \equiv \frac{ \Gamma (a + n)}{ \Gamma (a) }\)

We start with the integral formula:
\(\displaystyle _2 F_1 (a, b, c; x) = \frac{\Gamma (c)}{\Gamma (b)\Gamma (c-b)}\int_0^1 t^{b-1} (1-t)^{c-b-1} (1-xt)^{-a}~dt\)

Expanding the \(\displaystyle (1 - xt)^{-a}\) and inserting it into the integral formula gives
\(\displaystyle _2 F_1 (a, b, c; x) = \frac{\Gamma (c)}{\Gamma (b)\Gamma (c-b)}\int_0^1 t^{b-1} (1-t)^{c-b-1} \left ( \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{ \Gamma (a + n) }{ \Gamma (a) } \frac{(tx)^n}{n!} \right )~dt\)

After a bit of "massaging":
\(\displaystyle _2 F_1 (a, b, c; x) = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} (a)_n \frac{\Gamma (c)}{\Gamma (b)\Gamma (c-b)} \left ( \int_0^1 t^{b + n -1} (1-t)^{c-b-1} dt \right ) \frac{x^n}{n!}\)

Now,
\(\displaystyle \int_0^1 t^{b + n -1} (1-t)^{c-b-1} dt = B(b + n, c- b) = \frac{ \Gamma (b + n) \Gamma (c - b)}{\Gamma (c + n)}\)
where B is the beta function.

Plugging this in gives
\(\displaystyle _2 F_1 (a, b, c; x) = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{\Gamma (c)}{\Gamma (b)\Gamma (c-b)} (a)_n \left ( \frac{ \Gamma (b + n) \Gamma (c - b)}{\Gamma (c + n)} \right ) \frac{x^n}{n!}\)

Simplifying gives
\(\displaystyle _2 F_1 (a, b, c; x) = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} (a)_n \left ( \frac{\Gamma (b) }{ \Gamma (b + n)} \frac{\Gamma (c)}{\Gamma (c + n)} \right ) \frac{x^n}{n!} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{(a)_n (b)_n}{(c)_n} \frac{x^n}{n!}\)

-Dan

Edit: Okay it's 1:57 AM (Eastern) and I think I got all the typos fixed.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that the hypergeometric function has singular points at \(\displaystyle x = 0, 1, \infty\). None of these singularities appear in the given integral representation. Nor does the series representation take into account the x = 0 and x = 1 singularities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go topsquark (Clapping)

It would be cool if someone could input the integral rep into the differential equation and show that it's a solution. I wasn't able to do it.

-Dan

topsquark said:
It would be cool if someone could input the integral rep into the differential equation and show that it's a solution. I wasn't able to do it.

-Dan

Hey Dan , can you post your attempt . I need to know what you are thinking about ?

I'm really not able to do much more than putting the integral form into the differential equation and a little bit of simplifying, but here it is.

First we are given:
\(\displaystyle _2 F _1 (a, b, c; x) = \frac{ \Gamma (c) }{ \Gamma (b) \Gamma (c - b) } \int_0^1 t^{b - 1} (1 - t)^{c - b - 1} (1 - xt)^{-a} dt\)

The hypergeometric differential equation is:
\(\displaystyle x(1 - x) y''(x) + (c - (a + b + 1)x) y'(x) - ab y(x) = 0\)

One of the solutions of this equation is \(\displaystyle y(x) =~_2 F _1 (a, b, c; x)\)

Inserting the integral representation gives:
\(\displaystyle x(1 - x) \left [ \frac{ \Gamma (c) }{ \Gamma (b) \Gamma (c - b) } \int_0^1 t^{b - 1} (1 - t)^{c - b - 1} a(a + 1)t^2 (1 - xt)^{-(a + 2)} dt \right ] \)
\(\displaystyle + \left [ ( c - (a + b + 1)x ) \frac{ \Gamma (c) }{ \Gamma (b) \Gamma (c - b) } \int_0^1 t^{b - 1} (1 - t)^{c - b - 1} at (1 - xt)^{-(a + 1)} dt \right ] \)
\(\displaystyle - ab \left [ \frac{ \Gamma (c) }{ \Gamma (b) \Gamma (c - b) } \int_0^1 t^{b - 1} (1 - t)^{c - b - 1} (1 - xt)^{-a} dt \right ] = 0\)

Simplifying:
\(\displaystyle x(1 - x) (a + 1) \int_0^1 t^{b + 1} (1 - t)^{c - b - 1} (1 - xt)^{-(a + 2)} dt \)
\(\displaystyle + ( c - (a + b + 1)x ) \int_0^1 t^b (1 - t)^{c - b - 1} (1 - xt)^{-(a + 1)} dt - b \int_0^1 t^{b - 1} (1 - t)^{c - b - 1} (1 - xt)^{-a} dt = 0\)

There is a way, obviously, to put all the x's and constants inside the integrals and then put this all under one integral but I am unable to see any value to this approach.

-Dan

So your attempt is to prove that the hypergeometric function satisfies the differential equation using the integral representation ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
So your attempt is to prove that the hypergeometric function satisfies the differential equation using the integral representation ?
Yup. It should be workable, but I'm out of tricks on this one. I can't figure out how to solve the integrals that come up.

-Dan

What is the "Hypergeometric Challenge"?

The Hypergeometric Challenge is a mathematical problem that involves finding the probability of selecting a specific number of items from a finite set without replacement. It is often used in statistics and probability to model real-world scenarios.

Why is the Hypergeometric Challenge important?

The Hypergeometric Challenge has many practical applications in fields such as genetics, epidemiology, and finance. It allows us to calculate the probability of certain outcomes and make informed decisions based on these calculations.

What are the main components of the Hypergeometric Challenge?

The Hypergeometric Challenge involves four main components: the population size, the number of successes in the population, the sample size, and the number of successes in the sample. These components are used to calculate the probability of selecting a specific number of successes in the sample.

How do you calculate the probability in the Hypergeometric Challenge?

The probability in the Hypergeometric Challenge is calculated using the hypergeometric distribution formula, which takes into account the four main components mentioned above. This formula is P(X=x) = (Sx)(N-Sn-x)/(Nx) where S is the number of successes in the population, N is the population size, n is the sample size, and x is the number of successes in the sample.

What are some real-world examples of the Hypergeometric Challenge?

The Hypergeometric Challenge can be applied to many real-world scenarios, such as predicting the likelihood of a certain genetic trait being passed down in a family, estimating the effectiveness of a new drug in a population, or determining the probability of winning a lottery with a limited number of tickets. It can also be used in quality control processes to ensure the consistency of a product, such as checking the probability of finding a defective item in a batch.