Solving the Slender Ladder Problem: Angular Acceleration

In summary, the slender ladder with a mass of 10 kg was released from rest in the shown position with negligible friction at the contact surfaces. To determine the angular acceleration of the ladder, forces were summed in the x and y directions and moments were summed about the ladder's center of mass. Using the kinematics equation relating angular acceleration to the acceleration of its center of mass, a total of 5 unknowns (force at bottom, ax, ay, angular acceleration, force at vertical wall) and 5 equations were obtained. The angular acceleration was found to be 3.75 rad/s^2, which was confirmed by another source. The use of the instantaneous axis of rotation method was suggested as an alternative approach to solving the
eurekameh
2zeff2e.png

The slender ladder has a mass of 10 kg. It is released from rest in the position shown. Friction at the two contact surfaces are negligible. Determine the angular acceleration of the ladder.

I summed forces in the x,y direction, summed moments about the ladder's center of mass, wrote a kinematics equation relating the angular acceleration to the acceleration of its center of mass for a total of 5 unknowns (Force at bottom, ax, ay, angular acceleration, force at the vertical wall) and 5 equations. I have angular acceleration = 3.75 rad/s^2. This was on a multiple choice test, but there was no answer of 3.75 rad/s^2. I've been at this problem for days, making the same "mistake" over and over. I have found that the solutions manual of a similar problem is also doing the same thing I'm doing. Did my professor make a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi eurekameh! :smile:

(pleeeease don't post such wide images :redface:)

(it should be possible with just one τ = Iα equation, and one constraint equation … anyway:)

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

3.75 rad/s^2 is correct.

tiny-tim:
I don't think it's possible with just one tau = (I)(alpha) equation and one constraint equation because then you'd have too many unknowns with not enough equations.
Denoting Fx as the force from wall, and Fy as the force from floor:
For forces in x;
Fx = max
For forces in y;
Fy - mg = may
And for moments about center of mass;
(Fy)(cos60) - (Fx)(sin60) = (1/12)(m)(l^2)(alpha)
The two constraint equations gave me:
ay = -(alpha)(cos60)
ax = (alpha)(sin60)
5 unknowns in 5 equations gave me 3.75 rad/s^2.
Thanks for the confirmation, Quinzio. :)

hi eurekameh! :smile:
eurekameh said:
tiny-tim:
I don't think it's possible with just one tau = (I)(alpha) equation and one constraint equation because then you'd have too many unknowns with not enough equations.

yes you can if you do it τ = dL/dt about P, the point where the normals meet …

τ = dL/dt = d/dt {Ic.o.mω + mrc.o.m x vc.o.m} = Ic.o.mα + mrc.o.m x ac.o.m

give it a try! :wink:

(i don't know why i said Iα before :redface:)

YES, so it by instantaneous axis of rotation. search it up on google if you don't know about it. it becomes very easy

Related to Solving the Slender Ladder Problem: Angular Acceleration

1. How do you define the "slender ladder problem"?

The slender ladder problem is a physics problem that involves a ladder placed against a wall and the forces acting on it. In this scenario, the ladder is assumed to be thin and long, and the goal is to calculate the angular acceleration of the ladder as it falls.

2. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. In simpler terms, it is the measure of how quickly an object is spinning or rotating.

3. What are the key factors that affect the solution to the slender ladder problem?

The key factors that affect the solution to the slender ladder problem are the length and mass of the ladder, the angle at which it is leaning against the wall, and the forces acting upon it, such as gravity and friction.

4. How do you calculate the angular acceleration of a slender ladder?

To calculate the angular acceleration of a slender ladder, you can use the equation α = (2mgsinθ)/(mL^2 + 3mL^2/4), where m is the mass of the ladder, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle at which the ladder is leaning, and L is the length of the ladder.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the slender ladder problem?

Yes, the slender ladder problem has real-life applications in various fields such as construction, engineering, and physics. It can help in determining the stability and safety of ladders and other objects leaning against a surface, and in analyzing the forces involved in their movement.