Solving the Sugar Content in Potato Flour Puzzle with Chemistry

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the sugar content in potato flour through a series of chemical reactions. The problem at hand is finding the molar ratio between sugar/glucose and permanganate-ion. After attempting to solve the problem, the conclusion is that the molar ratio between RCHO and MnO4- is 1:0.4, meaning for every mol of MnO4- there is 2.5 mol of RCHO.
rnielsen25

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, i have a problem. My brain is short-circuited, and it seems like i can't find out the simplest chemistry in the world :D

We made this experiment where we should determine the sugar content in potato flour. We added amylases to break down the starch to glucose. Then we added fehling's solution and isolated the sediments. Then we added some ammoniumiron(III)sulphate. Last we titrated the solution with potassiumpermanganate.

My problem is that i need to find the molar ratio between the sugar/glucose and the permanganate-ion.

Homework Equations

The chemical reactions is given by the following reactions.

1. 5OH- + RCHO + 2Cu2+ --> RCOO- + Cu2O + 3H2O
2. 2H+ + Cu2O + 2Fe3+ --> 2Cu2+ + 2Fe2+ + 2H2O
3. 8H+ + 5Fe2+ + MnO4- --> 5Fe3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

The molar ratio between RCHO and Cu2O is 1:1. So is the ratio between Cu2O in equation 1 and 2.
The molar ration between Cu2O and Fe2+ is 1:2. So the ratio between RCHO and Fe2+ is also 1:2. But the ratio between Fe2+ in equation 2 and 3 is 2:5. So the ratio between Fe2+ and RCHO is 1:(2*2,5) = 1:5? Because there for every Fe(II) in equation 2 there is 2,5 Fe(II) in equation 3.

But the then the ratio between Fe2+ and MnO4- in equation 3 is 5:1.
So the ratio between MnO4- and RCHO is what? 5:5? That cannot be true?

My logic says 1:2,5. But i can't explain why. It maked sense to me at first, but when i tried to explain why, i couldn't. Could you help me figure out what the real molar ratio is, and how to explain why it is that? Sorry, that i suddently can't figure out the simplest chemistry and math in the world :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Well i just tried working it out entering numbers. Which i think makes more sense to me.

If i have 1 mol RCHO, i have 1 mol Cu2O.
Then i have 2 mols Fe2+
In equation 3 i still have 2 mol Fe(2+, which means i have 2/5 mol MnO4-.

Then the molar ratio between RCHO and MnO4- must be 1:0,4. Which means for every mol of MnO4- i have 2,5 mol RCHO.

1. How can chemistry be used to solve the sugar content in potato flour puzzle?

Chemistry can be used to solve the sugar content in potato flour puzzle by utilizing various techniques such as titration, chromatography, and spectroscopy. These methods can help identify and quantify the different types of sugars present in the potato flour and determine their concentration.

2. What are the potential benefits of solving the sugar content in potato flour puzzle?

Knowing the sugar content in potato flour can provide valuable information for food manufacturers, as it can affect the texture, taste, and nutritional value of their products. It can also help consumers make informed decisions about their food choices.

3. What are the main challenges in solving the sugar content in potato flour puzzle?

One of the main challenges in solving the sugar content in potato flour puzzle is the complex nature of potato flour, which contains various types of carbohydrates, including simple sugars, starch, and fiber. Another challenge is obtaining accurate and precise results, as the sugar content in potato flour can vary depending on factors such as the variety of potato and the processing methods used.

4. How can the results of solving the sugar content in potato flour puzzle be used in other industries?

The results of solving the sugar content in potato flour puzzle can be used in various industries, such as food and beverage, agriculture, and pharmaceuticals. In the food and beverage industry, it can help improve product quality and develop new products. In agriculture, it can aid in crop breeding and production. In pharmaceuticals, it can assist in the development of new drugs and formulations.

5. Are there any potential health implications of the sugar content in potato flour?

The sugar content in potato flour can have potential health implications for individuals with certain health conditions such as diabetes. Consuming foods with high sugar content can cause a spike in blood sugar levels, which can be harmful to those with diabetes. Therefore, knowing the sugar content in potato flour can help individuals make informed choices about their diet.