Solving the Yo-Yo's Limit Angle for Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a yo-yo with a little cylinder and two big disks as wheels, and a force applied to the rope at an angle theta. The goal is to determine the limit angle for the yo-yo's acceleration to be positive or negative. The equations used to solve this problem involve the weight, reaction force, friction force, and torque around the point where the yo-yo contacts the ground.
dany-vai

Homework Statement

We have a yo-yo, formed by a little cylinder tied to a little rope, and two big disks as wheels, one for each side of the central cylinder. We do a force T on the rope; its slope is an angle θ over the horizontal x-axis.
We are given the mass m of the cylinder, the mass M of each wheel, the radius of the cylinder R1 and the radius of each wheel R2. We want to know the limit angle θ , for the acceleration to be positive or negative.
I try to explain it better: under a certain angle, the yo-yo have a pure roll in the positive direction, over this angle it goes "back" and rolls towards the negative direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I put in all the forces, the weight $mg$, the reaction $N$, and the friction force (static, since it's roling) towards the left side.
My equations are:
T*sinθ + N = m*g
T*cosθ - f[itex]_{s}[/itex] = m*a[itex]_{cm}[/itex]
f[itex]_{s}[/itex]*R2 - T*R1 = I[itex]_{G}[/itex]*α = I[itex]_{G}[/itex] * a[itex]_{cm}[/itex] / R2

But I'm always obtaining a non-sense answer solving the system, I guess I'm doing wrong something about the signes. Can someone help me?
Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org

when it rolls, its rotation is around the point where it contacts the ground.
If the torque around this point is zero, it does not roll (alpha = 0).

Thank you very much| Now I got it :D

1. What is the yo-yo's limit angle?

The yo-yo's limit angle is the maximum angle at which the yo-yo can be tilted before it starts to roll down instead of spinning.

2. Why is it important to solve the yo-yo's limit angle for acceleration?

Solving the yo-yo's limit angle for acceleration is important because it helps us understand the physical principles behind the yo-yo's motion and allows us to calculate its maximum acceleration.

3. How do you calculate the yo-yo's limit angle?

The yo-yo's limit angle can be calculated using the equation θ = arctan((2πr)/L), where θ is the limit angle, r is the radius of the yo-yo, and L is the length of the string.

4. What factors affect the yo-yo's limit angle?

The yo-yo's limit angle is affected by the radius of the yo-yo, the length of the string, and the weight distribution of the yo-yo.

5. How does the yo-yo's limit angle affect its acceleration?

The yo-yo's limit angle directly affects its acceleration, as a smaller limit angle means the yo-yo can tilt at a steeper angle before rolling down, resulting in a higher acceleration. This is because the yo-yo has a smaller moment of inertia when it is tilted at a steeper angle, allowing it to spin faster and accelerate more quickly.