Solving this Differential Equation using Convolution

In summary, the differential equation ##5s(t)-4s''(t)=r(t)## can be solved by the convolution ##s=q*r## where ##q(t)=c_1*\exp(-c_2*|(t)|)##. Find ##c_1+c_2##.
Jack1235
Homework Statement
The differential equation ##5s(t)-4s''(t)=r(t)## can be solved by the convolution ##s=q*r## where ##q(t)=c_1*\exp(-c_2*|(t)|)##. Find ##c_1+c_2##.
Relevant Equations
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} r(t-u)s(u) \,du$$
$s=c_1*\exp(-c_2*|(t)|)*r(t)$ But how can I solve $c_1+c_2$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jack,
:welcome:
I am very much afraid your post will be deleted by one of the mentors soon: it doesn't comply with the PF rules and guidelines (there is no posted apparent effort from your side).
Before that: ##\LaTeX## has to be enclosed by double $$ (for displayed math) and double ## for in-line math:

The differential equation $$5s(t)-4s''(t)=r(t)$$ can be solved by the convolution $$s=q*r$$ where $$q(t)=c_1*\exp(-c_2*|(t)|)$$. Find $$c_1+c_2$$

Relevant Equations: $$\left (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} r(t-u)s(u) \,du\right )$$
$$s=c_1*\exp(-c_2*|(t)|)*r(t)$$ But how can I solve $$c_1+c_2$$ ?

With ## it looks better:

Homework Statement: The differential equation ##5s(t)-4s''(t)=r(t)## can be solved by the convolution ##s=q*r## where ##q(t)=c_1*\exp(-c_2*|(t)|)##. Find ##c_1+c_2##.​
Relevant Equations: ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} r(t-u)s(u) \,du##​
##s=c_1*\exp(-c_2*|(t)|)*r(t)## But how can I solve ##c_1+c_2## ?​
##\ ##​

So this is my attempt: ##5(q*r)-4(q*r)''=r(t)## and ##5(C_1\exp(-C_2|t|)*r)-4*(C_1*\exp(-C_2*|t|)*r)''=r(t)##
In addition to that: ##(q*r)''=(-i*2*\pi*\widehat{ts}(\nu))'##

Last edited:
Likes BvU
BvU said:
I am very much afraid your post will be deleted by one of the mentors soon: it doesn't comply with the PF rules and guidelines (there is no posted apparent effort from your side).
Since the OP has (belatedly) shown some effort, no moderator action has been taken here.

Likes BvU
Good. Now, do I have to sort out when a * stands for multiplication and when it means convolution ?

I also find it strange the problem statement asks for ##c_1 + c_2##. It seems to me they have different dimensions and can not be added. Could it be the problem composer means to ask for ##c_1## and ##c_2## ?

Furthermore: the relevant equation does not really look like an equation at all.
I suppose you meant $$s = q*r \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ s(t) =\int_0^t q(\tau) r(t-\tau) \, d\tau \ \ ?$$

Could you please also explain what you do in post #3 ?

##\ ##

Note: I tweaked the first post to get most of the LaTeX to render.

Then post #2 now looks pretty dumb ...:biggrin:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to describe how a variable changes over time or in relation to other variables.

2. What is convolution?

Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is often used in solving differential equations by breaking down a complex equation into simpler parts.

3. How is convolution used to solve differential equations?

Convolution is used to solve differential equations by breaking down the equation into simpler parts and then using a convolution integral to combine those parts into a solution. This allows for a step-by-step approach to solving complex equations.

4. What are the benefits of using convolution to solve differential equations?

Using convolution to solve differential equations allows for a systematic approach to solving complex equations. It also allows for the use of known solutions for simpler equations to find solutions for more complex equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using convolution to solve differential equations?

While convolution is a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it may not always be the most efficient method. In some cases, other techniques may be more appropriate or easier to use.