Solving Trig Equations: sin2θ - 1 = cos2θ | 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360°

• Thread starter BOAS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary: Of course, you can't use 0/0.)If, in your first equation, you move the cosx to the right side of the equation, and square the resulting relationship, you getcos2x+sin2x-2sinxcosx=1So, sinxcosx=0. So, at the solution points, either sinx is zero or cosx is zero. You have to check with the original equation to see which such points are allowed. (Of course, you can't use 0/0.)Thanks for the explanation.I shall rework the question using them and see how I get on. Thanks for helping me.You're welcome! Just to
BOAS

Homework Statement

Solve sin2θ - 1 = cos2θ in range 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360°

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I always struggle with the end of these questions, deciding which answers are correct.

Here's what I have done;

let 2θ = x

cosx + 1 = sinx

cos2x + sin2x = 1
sin x = √(1 - cos2x)

cosx + 1 = √(1 - cos2x)

square both sides

cos2x + 2cosx + 1 = 1 - cos2x

2cos2x + 2cosx = 0

factor out 2cosx

2cosx (cosx + 1) = 0

cosx = 0 when x = 270, 90

so θ = 135, 45

cosx - 1 = 0

x = 180, 270

θ = 90, 135

Only 90 and 45 are in the first quadrant where cos is +ve, does that mean these are the answers I want?

Thanks for any help you can give, I hope my question is clear.

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
cos2x + sin2x = 1
sin x = √(1 - cos2x)

cosx + 1 = √(1 - cos2x)

square both sides

2cos2x + 2cosx = 0
What is cos2 and sin2? It does not have any value.

adjacent said:

it's cos2 of x, which I'm using to represent 2θ

I don't really understand what you're asking

BOAS said:
cosx - 1 = 0

x = 180, 270

θ = 90, 135

Recheck this. What are the solutions to cos(x)=1?

Pranav-Arora said:
Recheck this. What are the solutions to cos(x)=1?

cosx = 1 when x = 0 or 360.

BOAS said:
cos2x + sin2x = 1
sin x = √(1 - cos2x)

cosx + 1 = √(1 - cos2x)

square both sides

2cos2x + 2cosx = 0
adjacent said:
What's the reason for your comment, adjacent? I don't see anything wrong with the notation that BOAS used.

BOAS said:
cosx = 1 when x = 0 or 360.

Since ##0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi##, therefore ##0\leq x \leq 4\pi##, you should find solutions for x in this range.

Mark44 said:
What's the reason for your comment, adjacent? I don't see anything wrong with the notation that BOAS used.
It's because cos itself does not have any value,it's a function.Then how can cos2 have any value?

For example, ##f(x)=2x+1##
##f## itself has no value nor ##f^2##I know I am wrong somewhere and I would appreciate if you clarify my doubt.

Pranav-Arora said:
Since ##0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi##, therefore ##0\leq x \leq 4\pi##, you should find solutions for x in this range.

this does make sense, but I struggle with the logic of which solutions are the ones I want.

In my OP at the end, I justified the solutions i 'chose' by saying that they were the only ones in a quadrant where cos is +ve.

Is this what I want?

i.e in the range ##0\leq x \leq 4\pi## there are two revolutions to go through, so I think there should be another set of solutions that lie within the first quadrant.

BOAS said:
In my OP at the end, I justified the solutions i 'chose' by saying that they were the only ones in a quadrant where cos is +ve.

It can be positive in both the first and fourth quadrants.

No, I'm somewhat confused.

cos(x) = 0

x = 90, 270, 450, 630

so θ = 45, 135, 225, 315

cos(x) = 1

x = 0, 360, 720 (I think I'm correct not to include the -1 values here)

so θ = 0, 180, 360

BOAS said:
No, I'm somewhat confused.

cos(x) = 0

x = 90, 270, 450, 630

so θ = 45, 135, 225, 315

cos(x) = 1

x = 0, 360, 720 (I think I'm correct not to include the -1 values here)

so θ = 0, 180, 360

Looks very good to me but it isn't necessary that the values of you have found are the solutions to the original equation.

While squaring, there is always a risk of getting extra solutions so the best method is to find a way which does not involve squaring.

For the given case, you can use:

sin(2θ)=2sinθcosθ and cos(2θ)=2cos2θ-1

Are you aware of the above identities?

Pranav-Arora said:
Looks very good to me but it isn't necessary that the values of you have found are the solutions to the original equation.

While squaring, there is always a risk of getting extra solutions so the best method is to find a way which does not involve squaring.

For the given case, you can use:

sin(2θ)=2sinθcosθ and cos(2θ)=2cos2θ-1

Are you aware of the above identities?

They're not committed to memory, but they look familiar.

I shall rework the question using them and see how I get on. Thanks for helping me.

adjacent said:
It's because cos itself does not have any value,it's a function.Then how can cos2 have any value?

For example, ##f(x)=2x+1##
##f## itself has no value nor ##f^2##
Are you asking about this? cos2x + sin2x = 1

BOAS write several equations that involved cos2x or sin2x, and these are well-understood forms of notation.

cos2x means exactly the same thing as (cos(x))2.

Likes 1 person
If, in your first equation, you move the cosx to the right side of the equation, and square the resulting relationship, you get

cos2x+sin2x-2sinxcosx=1
So, sinxcosx=0. So, at the solution points, either sinx is zero or cosx is zero. You have to check with the original equation to see which such points are allowed.

1. How do you solve a trig equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must first isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions and algebraic manipulation to solve for the variable.

2. What are the most common trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities in solving equations are the Pythagorean identities, double angle formulas, and sum and difference formulas.

3. Do trigonometric equations always have real solutions?

No, not all trigonometric equations have real solutions. Some equations may result in complex solutions or no solutions at all.

4. How do you check the validity of a solution to a trigonometric equation?

To check the validity of a solution, plug it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then the solution is valid.

5. Can you use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations. However, it is important to understand the steps and methods used to solve the equation manually before relying on a calculator.